Author Topic: 24 vrs. Lost vrs. Heroes vrs. etc  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Ok whats your favourite?

I used to be addicted to Lost but then got sick of the slow plot. I moved to 24 and was blown away!! Im on season 5 and dreading the day it all ends and I finish the last one!!!

Ive never seen heroes but I guess its pretty good too.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Lost is my favourite.  I love how they don't just give everything away straight away and spoon-feed people.  If people get frustrated because they're not getting the answer to every mystery as quickly as they'd like, it's because the writers are doing their job properly.  It has one of the most continuously intriguing plots of any TV show ever, and never fails to deliver new surprises.  Season 4 really sped up the story-telling process, by the way... that was non-stop!

Next I'd say is 24.  Although there are a few mis-steps.  I loved Seasons 1, 2 and 3, but then Season 4 was a bit shit.  Then Season 5 came along and it was the best they'd ever done... which made the complete shambles that was Season 6 even more disappointing.  (I really loved the first 4 episodes of Season 6, but after that it went downhill fast... rehashing previous plotlines, and executing them less well.  Season 7 looks like it's going to get even worse... bringing back one of the most definitely dead characters in the history of the show has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen.  In Lost and Heroes, it's acceptable.  But 24 is supposed be a bit more realistic.

Heroes Season 1 started off slow, but after about 6 episodes it drew me in, and it became one of those addictive, can't miss it TV shows.  The premise might be shamelessly ripped off from comic books, but the way things play out is great.  Season 2 started off the same way as Season 1... slowly.  About halfway through, though, it took a turn for the better and it looked like it could reach the same heights as Season 1.  Some of the storylines for the lead characters were very frustrating, but I believe had the show not been cut short less than halfway through by the Writer's Strike, then people would have understood why those first episodes had to happen.  It's like Lost Season 3... so many people hated the early episodes in those season, but by the end of it, most people admitted that in context with the story as a whole, it all made sense.  Anyway... Heroes Season 3 started in the UK last night, and all I have to say is wow!  To avoid being fucked over like they did last season, they've decided to go full throttle from the very first scene.  The budget they were granted for this year must've been huge, because it looks like the amazing special effects shots that were scattered throughout the show's first year, are now going to included in pretty much every episode.  If it keeps up the pace it's started with, it could be the most exciting show this year.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
I'm obsessed for Dr. House
Still I don't know when I could see the next season... :?

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Season 7 looks like it's going to get even worse... bringing back one of the most definitely dead characters in the history of the show has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen.  In Lost and Heroes, it's acceptable.  But 24 is supposed be a bit more realistic.

Yea my brother got me into 24, and he said the seasons get progessively more awesome until 6 which was a disapointment!! So who re-appears in season 7?!?

Im watching season 5 right now and its UNREAL!!! I cant believe how they manage to muster up so much suspense... up a notch.. up a notch... minutes fly by as you sit their with your mouth wide open!! The scenes of President Logans turmoil are incredible!!!

I stopped watch Lost season 3 at around episode 6 or 7 because I move out. I will catch up with it at some point though!

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
How far have you got through Season 5 or 24 so far?  I want to know if this character's dead yet, so I won't spoilt it for you by telling you they return in Season 7. :lol:

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
For me at the moment it's probably Heroes. I wasn't overly keen on the first season, but then it inevitably had to be given over mostly to introducing characters, establishing backstory and powers and basically setting the scene. I doubt anyone would pick the first chapter of a book as their favourite point for the same reason. It didn't help that the premise seemed to be fairly standard comic book fare (especially close to X-Men) for a lot of the series which didn't do much to hold my interest. Not that I don't like comic books, but if I've seen it before then I've seen it before, and I'm not overly keen on seeing it done again with different names.

But I love the way characters can switch from good to evil or visa versa, be both together, do evil things for good reasons ect. It's probably one of my favourite plot devices and a sure way to make almost any storyline fascinating (if done right, if done badly it's terrible). So at the moment I'm very interested in seeing how that goes and how everyone ends up.

I also want to strangle Mohinder Suresh at the moment for falling into the classic scientist's trap. Just because something's new doesn't mean it's a good idea (atomic power anyone?) and it always drives me nuts when people forget that.

Lost would probably appeal to me more if I'd followed what was going on more closely. I love the complexity of it and the fact that things aren't explained right away, in order or even particularly regularly. And the fact that every answer seems to raise two more questions. But I haven't seen it all, I think there's some episodes in the middle of series 3 I didn't see and there's often been big gaps between me watching one episode and seeing the next. Right now I don't feel like I'm in any position to try and figure out what's going on and that's pretty much what the whole show is about so I'm a little left out right now.

24 I could never quite get into. Thinking about it I feel like the problem could be that I was never able to really identify with any of the main characters, which is strange because that's never usually a problem for me. But I find myself always thinking that I'd have done things differently and it gets frustrating.

Offline JonnyVR

• Gunslinger
  • Belfast Odyssey Arena- 8th June 2005
24.  Jack Bauer > EVERYTHING

Offline Human_Tripod

• Sniper Assassin
  • AUS
^^ fkn oath haha
Axlreznor, said dead person in question was alwaysnot going to die, rewatch the episode, there is not a silent clock after their death and they happened to be one of the biggest characters in the show, they will definately explain how said person did not die also,
november 23rd i think is when the 2 hour prequel comes out, jack in africa caught in the middle of a civil war

Offline simba317

• Sniper Assassin
  • I heart Slash, Romyness and me twin!
    • My deviantArt Account
LOST! I am obsessed. lol.

~simba_317

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Axlreznor, said dead person in question was alwaysnot going to die, rewatch the episode, there is not a silent clock after their death and they happened to be one of the biggest characters in the show, they will definately explain how said person did not die also,

Other characters have died without there being a silent clock.  He was dead... plain and simple.  The guy died in Jack's arms.  If he just got blown up or something and you never actually saw his body, fine... they could say he escaped at the last moment.  But he was dead, gone, deceased.  There was no question about it.

Offline tatiana

• Sniper Assassin
i live in a "24" household.

my hubby has an unhealthy admiration for jack bauer...