Author Topic: Im gonna learn to play guitar. Anyone know any good beginner songs.  (Read 19529 times)

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I just got back from the music store, and went through a couple of acoustics.  Just for fun, I plugged a $650 Epiphone Les Paul into a Marshall amp.  Maybe it was the cable or just the combination, but it sounded awesome.  It's something that I could sit there playing for hours, just to play.  For some reason, I didn't pick the thing up.  I have this idea in the back of my mind telling me to just drive back and get that combo.  The feel was there, and it was fun to just play.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
I just got back from the music store, and went through a couple of acoustics.  Just for fun, I plugged a $650 Epiphone Les Paul into a Marshall amp.  Maybe it was the cable or just the combination, but it sounded awesome.  It's something that I could sit there playing for hours, just to play.  For some reason, I didn't pick the thing up.  I have this idea in the back of my mind telling me to just drive back and get that combo.  The feel was there, and it was fun to just play.
go for it, what the hell, if its good, you will keep it for ever.  I heard that the older guitars are the better they sound because the wood ages or something like that.

Offline DocLovett

• Gunslinger
  • booze and pills and powders...
    • Mojo Gurus
Who makes a good acoustic in the $5-600 range?

Cort, Yamaha, Blueridge, Taylor, Guild, Epiphone

Check out Alvarez also.

Offline DocLovett

• Gunslinger
  • booze and pills and powders...
    • Mojo Gurus

My main open G tuned guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul, that thing is simply fantastic. I have a 1989 Gibson Les Paul Custom (my main standard tuning axe) and the Epi plays and sounds every bit as good. It wasn't the cable  ;)

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I've been playing a Fender Kingman for a while.  I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm starting to wonder, though, if an electric-acoustic is the way to go.  I see more and more artists using them, as they're less susceptible to cold weather and humidity--or lack thereof.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Okay, finally broke down and bought a $1330 Epiphone Les Paul.  Of course, with the economy being what it is, I paid $599 for, and probably could have haggled on the hard case.  Does anyone have advice for breaking these in?  It's actually my first electric guitar, feels really nice, and seems quite a bit more forgiving than others I've played.  Lowering the action, the right strings for these, taking care of the wood, type of pick that works well with these, etc?

On the OP, easy songs to play that sound really good?  I've played Knockin' on Heaven's Door and Man on the Moon (as well as Sloop John B. and Scarborough Fair), but haven't got a great library of songs to work with.  Movable chords that are easy to handle?

Offline top.hat.cat

• Pea Gun Newbie
start with learning the seven baby chords abcdefg and just learn how to switch you fingers from 1 to another im self taught and thats how i learned and you can pretty much play anything the hard thing is having the patience to keep practicing. i use ernie ball 10 guage strings on my les paul and i lowerd the action myself just dont mess with the truss rod because it can seriously knock the guitars action to bits have you tried to play anything by oasis most of there rythm is easy chords ?     
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:49:55 AM by top.hat.cat »

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I've been looking for a page on how to set up my Les Paul, and I haven't found it.  I want to lower the action just a pube, but I'm not finding it even after several googles.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
I couldn't tell you but you can go take it to be setup.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
It's just something that I'd rather do myself when I first change out the strings.  I'm not sure that I want to have some monkey at the store tinkering with my new guitar.  I've seen so many techs jerking the truss rod to adjust the action--or use way too much force getting things on and off.  It's a $1300 guitar, and it may be the nicest one I'll ever own.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
It's just something that I'd rather do myself when I first change out the strings.  I'm not sure that I want to have some monkey at the store tinkering with my new guitar.  I've seen so many techs jerking the truss rod to adjust the action--or use way too much force getting things on and off.  It's a $1300 guitar, and it may be the nicest one I'll ever own.

Don't touch the truss rod, just look at the bridge and stop-bar. You can turn them, so when you take the strings off just turn them to lower them by the desired amount, make sure they're an even level and not wonky, and that's all there is to it.

Just saw your above posts: the right strings are whatever you're comfortable with, it'll be loaded with .10-.48, the brand won't matter, but you can change to .9s without needing to adjust the truss rod. You can go to .11s but you won't need to unless you play in like drop C or something, in which case the truss rod won't need adjusting because you'll be taking the tension right off. So i'd stick to .9s or .10s, depending on what you find more comfortable (and assuming you play in standard or flat).
The right pick? Whichever you like. I personally favour the 1.14mm dunlop tortex, it has a nice grip on it, isn't so fat as to hit other strings but doesn't bend like lighter picks.
Taking care of the wood, just a damp cloth really. You can buy some guitar spray for the neck for when you change the strings which is good, you need to get the sweat gunk off. Just check with the clerk it's safe for a les paul. But a damp cloth is really all you need 99% of the time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:51:51 AM by mickslogun »

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Thanks a lot.  I haven't changed the strings yet, so I'm wanting to make sure that it gets done correctly the first time.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
Thanks a lot.  I haven't changed the strings yet, so I'm wanting to make sure that it gets done correctly the first time.

If you already know how to change strings then there's nothing different with a Les Paul. In fact the only difference with any guitar is that some (like a Strat) go through the body, and a LP doesn't. If you haven't changed strings before then you can just youtube it for a nice visual explanation. It's dead easy though so don't worry.

Strings are a personal thing, what tuning do you play in? What music do you play, and are you a lead or rhythm guitarist?

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I'm an acoustic guitar guy, which pretty much means that I play rhythm on the electric.  I've changed strings there numerous times.  I've tried unsuccessfully to find info on how to perform the initial set up of an Epiphone Les Paul.  Unfortunately, Epiphone's site is not that helpful, and info is hard to come by.  I don't want to hand off the task to someone else.  How many times have we heard some primate at the music store give us back our instrument saying, "Oh, you wanted us to LOWER the action on your Endiphone.  Let me just yank on the trust rod a little more.  I started to feel some grinding last time I did that, and you might have to just hold the neck straight with one hand while you play.  The neck feels a little looser than last time, but I don't think anyone will notice because it's electric... I think."

I'd just rather do it myself.  Wanted some info on how to tweak it the first time out.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
I'm an acoustic guitar guy, which pretty much means that I play rhythm on the electric.  I've changed strings there numerous times.  I've tried unsuccessfully to find info on how to perform the initial set up of an Epiphone Les Paul.  Unfortunately, Epiphone's site is not that helpful, and info is hard to come by.  I don't want to hand off the task to someone else.  How many times have we heard some primate at the music store give us back our instrument saying, "Oh, you wanted us to LOWER the action on your Endiphone.  Let me just yank on the trust rod a little more.  I started to feel some grinding last time I did that, and you might have to just hold the neck straight with one hand while you play.  The neck feels a little looser than last time, but I don't think anyone will notice because it's electric... I think."

I'd just rather do it myself.  Wanted some info on how to tweak it the first time out.

If you just play rhythm, stick some .10s on there. Restringing a les paul is the same as an acoustic largely, in that the strings go over body. The hardest part to teach someone is winding the machine heads but if you already know how to do that then you're good to go

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Yeah, no.  The problem I've had is not putting strings on a guitar.  This I have done.  I've been trying to get info on adjusting the action, etc.  That is to say, may a web page or info somewhere about how to set up an Epiphone Les Paul for the first time.  It's pretty clear to me that the strings will need replacing soon (they don't stay in tune too long), but I figured that I would set up the guitar while I'm changing the strings out for the first time.

Thanks for all the help, though.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
Yeah, no.  The problem I've had is not putting strings on a guitar.  This I have done.  I've been trying to get info on adjusting the action, etc.  That is to say, may a web page or info somewhere about how to set up an Epiphone Les Paul for the first time.  It's pretty clear to me that the strings will need replacing soon (they don't stay in tune too long), but I figured that I would set up the guitar while I'm changing the strings out for the first time.

Thanks for all the help, though.

No problem, feel free to drop me a PM if you ever get stuck with it. There are sites out there, i'll try find some for you. But as far as action goes just lower the screws on the bridge and stop-bar. If you're intending on changing strings anyway then play around with it while they're on there, that way it won't matter if things go wrong and you'll be able to get the action to where you want it without guessing.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Just an update.  I've got the action lowered just the way I like it, with light weight strings, tuned down half a step.  I was noticing that the rhythm/treble switch was behaving oddly.  The rhythm put out too much kick, and the treble wasn't putting out much of anything.  As I started playing with the equalizer and cranking up the volume, I started to notice that I wasn't getting any volume out of the treble setting.  It turns out that my brand new Epiphone Les Paul Custom has a switch that just doesn't work.  I took it in to have some waranty work done it, and my two week old guitar is going to be out of action for another week.

They might use another company's more reliable switch, but why not just start off with better quality components?  I have some problem with my Marshall amp (OD sometimes doesn't work), and I have to get that fixed, also.  So much stuff these days is garbage, even brand new.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
Just an update.  I've got the action lowered just the way I like it, with light weight strings, tuned down half a step.  I was noticing that the rhythm/treble switch was behaving oddly.  The rhythm put out too much kick, and the treble wasn't putting out much of anything.  As I started playing with the equalizer and cranking up the volume, I started to notice that I wasn't getting any volume out of the treble setting.  It turns out that my brand new Epiphone Les Paul Custom has a switch that just doesn't work.  I took it in to have some waranty work done it, and my two week old guitar is going to be out of action for another week.

They might use another company's more reliable switch, but why not just start off with better quality components?  I have some problem with my Marshall amp (OD sometimes doesn't work), and I have to get that fixed, also.  So much stuff these days is garbage, even brand new.

Even the best stuff can have dodgy products. Epiphones these days are probably the best they've ever been, and really aren't much different to the Gibsons. It may just have a loose wire in there somewhere and may not be the switch at all but the volume pot etc. But remember that an Epi, even after warranty, is still a hell of a lot cheaper than a new Gibson

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I've just been told that, in the last six months, Gibson has started making their guitars overseas, that they're still telling folks that they're made in America.  That's the first time I've heard anything like that, but it's likely to stir some controversy, if not litigation.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
I've just been told that, in the last six months, Gibson has started making their guitars overseas, that they're still telling folks that they're made in America.  That's the first time I've heard anything like that, but it's likely to stir some controversy, if not litigation.

If it's true, sure, but I don't know if it is. A lot of guitars are losing quality these days because a lot of the good wood is no longer available, couple that with Gibson doing all sorts of stupid shit like chambering and so forth and you have a recipe for them losing their status

Offline tntnoyes

• Straight Shooter
    • TN Youtube
You wasting way too much fucking time on this site makes you a Sniper Assassin.  Me wasting too much time in the music store and not actually picking up an acoustic because I had one bad experience makes me a Shooter. 

That made little sense, but it's redundant.

You're going to find budget friendly acoustics from almost all brands, but there are some that geared more towards mid-budgets such as the Epiphones. Guild is another brand to check out.

Thanks.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Epiphones.  Ideally, I'd have one that's good enough to play onstage.  I like the acoustic sound, but I've always hung around the cheapo ones, and I've never found anything under $400 that I actually liked playing.
Fender makes some nice ones and affordible. I went in and tried out several and just loved the tone and feel of the Fender acoustics. Don't really like the electrics though.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Yeah, the Fender's are good, and not as sensitive to humidity changes as the Taylor's.  I honestly like Taylor's better, but the premium there is pretty hefty.  I've found a few new songs that are pretty easy.  Sympathy for the Devil is just E, D, A, B7, and Esus4.  It sounds pretty good if you can sing.

I've been putting more time into Nothing Else Matters - Metallica.  It's a pretty fun song to do, though I've been finding the intro a solo to be a challenge for me.

The main riff for Slither is actually pretty easy, once you tune it down to drop D.  I think it's O-3-4-O-6-7-O-10-O-6-7-O-5-O-3-4.  You just play that four times, and it's used throughout the song.  You start that one slowly and work your way up to the speed of the song.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
hahaha, this was over 4 years ago. 4 years and thousands blown fuzz pedals. :lol: