Author Topic: Marshall TSL 602........... any good?  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Rob_347

• Target Practice
Hey all,

Looking into buying my first tube amp, probably a combo. I tried out the Marshall TSL 602 today and liked what i heard, just wondering if anyone has had experiences with these amps or if there are any other decent amps around the same price range($2000 Australian) i should look at before deciding.

Cheers, Rob

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
I've never played the TSL, but the DSL combos are reliable, and sound great. those go for about 1300$ canadian so... as far as i know the TSL usually get pretty good reviews, they do sound pretty good.

Offline Darkburst

If you like the sound then go for it. I personally don't like combos in general because they're usually pretty damn heavy and don't have that low end thump that a closed back 2x12 or 4x12 has.

Offline Rob_347

• Target Practice
Would i be better off to wait a bit longer and go with a half stack for a nicer sound?  Also the DSL combo is 40 watts, whereas the TSL is 60. Would the DSL be loud enough for small gigs?
Thanks for all your help.

Offline EVH_slash

• Target Practice
Would i be better off to wait a bit longer and go with a half stack for a nicer sound? Also the DSL combo is 40 watts, whereas the TSL is 60. Would the DSL be loud enough for small gigs?

A friend of mine and myself bought combo amps when first getting tube amps and after a little while sold them and got half stacks.
the sound in a half stack is IMO better and they are louder.

So my advise is if you have the chance to wait a little longer and get a half stack do it :wink:

Offline Darkburst

Would i be better off to wait a bit longer and go with a half stack for a nicer sound?  Also the DSL combo is 40 watts, whereas the TSL is 60. Would the DSL be loud enough for small gigs?

The DSL combo is one of Marshalls worst tube amp designs. It doesn't even sound very Marshall-like and uses EL84 tubes... the DSL and TSL heads use EL34 tubes. The TSL 60 sounds much better. Don't rule out used gear. You could probably score a DSL 100w head and 1960 4x12 cab for less than $1000.

Offline Rob_347

• Target Practice
Thanks guys, i think i will wait for a bit longer and find a half stack. No point going for a combo, which will cost a fair bit, and then find out that in a few months time i need to fork out more cash. My guitar teacher recons the combos are overpriced and i could get a stack for a similar price.

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Heh Darkburst you know your stuff.

I would agree with going for a halfstack instead of combo too. I have tonnes of marshalls and the combos are heavy as hell!! I had a TSL combo but it was temperamental so I couldnt say if I liked it or not.

Offline Fannybandit

• Straight Shooter
ive got a tsl601, heavy? who cares get some muscles weaklings. Sound its ok, i have a shitty epipphone les paul studio which is the worst guitar ever made so it ruins my sound i payed $1500 australian

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
My brother has an Atomic Amp or something like that. Its a tube amp anyways sounds great.