Pick your favorite

David Lee Roth
52 (69.3%)
Sammy Hagar
20 (26.7%)
Gary Cherone
3 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Van Halen (Discussion Thread)  (Read 35946 times)

Offline Biteme5251228

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Sex and Rock and Roll, the American way
I dont know how to make a poll or this would b one, but who's your favorite singer Van Halen has had: David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, or Gary Cherone ( :shock:)

Sammy Hagar wins it for me, he not only has personality but the better voice and brings more awesome guitar playing to the band, David is a good personality but he sometimes (well a lot of the time) crosses the line from fun to obnoxious. And Gary Cherone.....yeah that was just bad
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 02:19:04 PM by Velvet Revolver »

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
David Lee Roth, although I do like some of the Sammy songs...a definite no to Gary Cherone.

edited to add I made it a poll for you

Offline tatiana

• Sniper Assassin
had to go for sammy.

vh was commercially more successful during his stint (although i could have done without the keyboards in a lot of the songs).

Offline Biteme5251228

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Sex and Rock and Roll, the American way
David Lee Roth, although I do like some of the Sammy songs...a definite no to Gary Cherone.

edited to add I made it a poll for you

Thank you for doing that. You're awesome

Offline rockcandy

• Straight Shooter
David Lee Roth, I prefer his voice over the other two, but Hagar isn't too bad, there were some pretty good songs with him and VH

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
David Lee Roth one of the best ever front men!!!!

Offline Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Global Moderator
    • http://europein28days.blogspot.com/
If I had to pick one, Sammy Hagar.  But really I like Roth and Hagar almost equal.

Offline VR fan88

• Gunslinger
  • You cant escape this beast inside
David Lee Roth had some part in van halen being what it was...hagar is wat brian johnson is to bon scott

Offline BadObsession

• Target Practice
Hagar is a better singer but I prefer DLR. How does Sammy bring better guitar playing to Van Halen? The best guitar playing is on the DLR albums (1984, I, Fair Warning).

Offline Jarno

• Sniper Assassin
Diamond Dave is better frontmen and performer, but i like Sammy's vocals more...

Offline Peebs

• Sniper Assassin
  • 5/17/08 Columbus OH!
As the lead singer of Van Halen, no one could hold a candle to Diamond Dave.

As a radio personality....I think I would rather have root canal without novacaine than listen to his radio show.

Offline Midnight

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Rock & Roll!
Sammy Hagar.   Superior voice, and that's why I prefere the man.

Offline ShedPayne

• Straight Shooter
  • Touch my gun but don't pull my trigger.
Diamond Dave..

one of the major factors why van halen was so explosive LIVE..

Offline Spikeout

• Target Practice
  • Sultan of Swing
    • http://www.defleppard.com
Sammy Hagar, better voice overall and comes across as more geniune.

Offline Superman with VR

• Sniper Assassin
    • My solo music
Wow someone voted for Gary Cherone? I mean I'm not knocking anyone's tastes/preferences/opinions, I've just never seen that before.

Offline Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Global Moderator
    • http://europein28days.blogspot.com/
Wow someone voted for Gary Cherone? I mean I'm not knocking anyone's tastes/preferences/opinions, I've just never seen that before.

First of all, I didn't vote for Cherone (I voted for Hagar, see above).

But, in defense of Cherone, I think that the music wasn't up to the quality of past Van Halen works.  If Sammy Hagar's only album with Van Halen was Balance, would he be as popular as he is now, or would he be at the same level as Cherone?  Also, Cherone's voice didn't suit the music amazingly well, although there are a few songs I like from Van Halen III.

Offline lespaul101

• Target Practice
1.David Lee Roth
2.Sammy Hagar
3.Gary Cherone

I like David Lee Roth the best as a singer.  I don't really like him as a person.

Offline banned

• Pea Gun Newbie
Gotta be DLR!!  In fairness though, I love Gary Cherone's voice and work in Extreme, but for me, there is only one man who could win this, and its Dave!! 

Offline Spidervein

• Sniper Assassin
Gotta admit i love the DLR songs but as a singer i would have to go with Sammy Hagar as a vocalist

Offline Rockergirl

• Gunslinger
I've always liked David Lee Roth.

Offline F*ck Fear

• Gunslinger
  • SDMF
When I think Van Halen,I think David Lee Roth.

Offline EVH_slash

• Target Practice
sammy had a beter voice and vocal range than david lee roth, but come on man the original van halen was soooo cool and roth's crazy fornatman ways and singing made it perfect....... my vote goes to roth, but i don't think cherone did that bad of a job i think some of the songs they did were really good

Offline Born 2 b Wild

• Gunslinger
  • Yipee Ky-Ay Motherfucker!!

Offline BadObsession

• Target Practice

First of all, I didn't vote for Cherone (I voted for Hagar, see above).

But, in defense of Cherone, I think that the music wasn't up to the quality of past Van Halen works.  If Sammy Hagar's only album with Van Halen was Balance, would he be as popular as he is now, or would he be at the same level as Cherone?  Also, Cherone's voice didn't suit the music amazingly well, although there are a few songs I like from Van Halen III.

I agree, Gary was much better in Extreme.