Author Topic: A good day's work!  (Read 23247 times)

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
That is absolutely beautiful.  Good work Sverre!

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Just a quick picture to show you how the sedum roof is starting to sprout after the winter:

It looked a bit dry and starving at the end of winter. Probably due to A LOT of rain and wind in combination with the lack of a stable snow cover. After the Easter holidays, it finally got warm enough to add fertilizer though, and now we see change from day to day :)

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
It's off to a good start.  You had a lack of snow too?  Wow.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
It looks less and less likely that we'll finish the project this year, but we're about to start work on the siding shortly, so hopefully, most of the walls will be clad before winter. We're still debating how to char the gable boards without setting the adjoining birch bark and the whole roof on fire though... :nervous:

For now, here's a few pictures of the sedum roof taken at different stages in the growth cycle:

Sedum album in full bloom about a month ago

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
So pretty with the sedum.  Good luck with the charring and not burning.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Here's a few more recent pics:

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Made some more progress this weekend. Charring the gable boards is something I've dreaded ever since we decided to use the shou sugi ban method on the cladding. Our first configuration of welding blankets as shielding didn't work properly, so it nearly ended in disaster when a few pieces of birch bark caught fire...

Eventually, we found a method which seemed to work pretty good though, and considering the circumstances, I think the result on the first two gable boards turned out acceptable:

Today, we went on to mount the siding i the gable:

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
I really like how it turned out.  That's a beautiful building.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
An ancient Japanese technique of preserving wood, called shou sugi ban/yakisugi.

I've been seeing this used a lot on hgtv now.