Author Topic: Dystopian v. Utopian v. ...Zombies?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
For some reason, these movies mostly end up with a kind of B-list and/or cult feel to the, but as far as I'm concerned this just adds to the allure.

Zombie movies are characterized by just that; zombies. As opposed to a human based dystopian future, that is usually the product of a major catastrophe that is more often than not brought on by human error. (i.e. war, nuclear disaster, depletion of resources etc.)

Utopian movies are scarier to me, as it usually involves the expulsion of all the fun stuff in society. (Sex, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes etc) Often times, while one side of a story sees the alternate history/present or future as idealistic and "perfect", the other side sees it as a cataclysmic breakdown in humanity.

A fantastic example, and one of my favourite movies in the genre, is Doomsday. This movie was a British film that depicted a deadly virus ripping through the U.K., leading them quarantine Scotland in an attempt to end the spread of the disease. The population seems to kind of split into a degenerate group of cannibalistic killers, and a group led by a scientist that mimics medieval times to rebuild the country. While one group views it as a necessary cleansing, the other sees it from a more self fulfilled angle.

Perhaps one of, if not the most prominent figure in dystopian fiction was Phillip K. Dick, with many of his drug-fueled novels being turned into fantastic movies.

Anyways, personal favourites include the Mad Max series, Escape from New York and Escape From L.A., A Scanner Darkly, Blade Runner, The Crow, Repo! The Genetic Opera, Book of Eli, The Fifth Element, Johnny Mnemonic, I Am Legend, Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Gattaca, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, and the list goes on and on.

While many of the movies in this style can end up as comedic as they are serious, they pretty much always provide an interesting take on society as we know it, and where it may or may not be heading. I'm a sucker for these kinds of movies, and I'm certainly open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:46:26 PM by Captain Tophat »

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
Demolition Man was actually quite accurate in some of its predictions on the future!!!  I also liked Judge Dredd, and I think Johnny Mnemonic was a great movie...almost like a pre-curser to The Matrix. 

One of my favorite B-movies that kind of fits these descriptions is a movie called "Class of 1999" directed by Mark Lester.  It used to be Cinemax a lot and I have since bought it on VHS but need to pick up the DVD.  It's funny, in the sense that it was made in 1990...and the year 1999 is "the future" lol.  Basically it is about a law-less area of town known as an "open-fire" zone, where gangs are rampant, and crime is out of control at the schools.  So the Principal, played by Malcom McDowell, brings in cyborgs to basically become teachers and bring "order" to things(one of the cyborgs is played by Pam Grier!).  Only problem is the machines start to overreact and kill the students.   I seriously love this movie and even got a black heart tattoo as it was one of the gangs and there is a scene where a girl shows off her black heart tattoo...and that is where I got the idea!  It is also a sequel to the movie Class of 1984 which is also pretty good and stars a young Michael J. Fox  They are probably both on youtube too!

Don't bother with Class of 1999 pt. 2 The Substitute...as it sucks hard!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:40:40 PM by Trist805#2 »

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
I have heard of Class of 1999 but never watched it.

Will do though.

Malcolm Malcolm McDowell must enjoy these kinds of things because he was in Book of Eli and Doomsday.