Medium Well
0 (0%)
Well Done
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Steaks  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
I'm making steak for dinner so I'll put it out there for everyone.  I like my steak medium rare.

Offline vfly79

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dave's Bitchy Fan
I like mine medium rare but when I was pregnant, I had to switch to medium well. I hate people who eat their's well done. Why would you ruin a good piece of meat like that? :lol:

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator

Offline vfly79

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dave's Bitchy Fan
Exactly. I like mine to taste good and still be tender almost buttery-like. Just melts in you mouth. I like Top Sirloin and Top Round. I prefer Porterhouse over T-Bone any day. I also love a good Filet Mignon as well as Prime Rib.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
I love filet mignon.  I buy a roast to save money and cut my own steaks. 

Offline vfly79

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dave's Bitchy Fan
That is a smart idea! Maybe I am a weird person but I am not real big on having bread with my meat. I just prefer meat and veggies. I like doing fake mashed potatoes which is an instant mix but I also add mashed broccoli and cauliflower and carrots. I also love peas with steak! :smitten:

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Peas go with everything.  I just had steak and cottage cheese. 

Offline vfly79

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dave's Bitchy Fan
I love cottage cheese! I put it on baked potatoes and I eat it with my egg whites every morning.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Like peas, it goes with everything!

Offline vfly79

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dave's Bitchy Fan

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
I used to like mine Medium-Well.  I like the dry crispy feel of it.  I don't really like it too red, but I will occasionally get medium-rare...but usually Medium.

Also  "A-1 Steak sauce is so awesome!"   

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Medium rare.

My personal record is roughly 90 ounces.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Medium rare for me too.

Speaking of steaks, it really pisses me off that it has become so difficult to get good quality meat outside the major cities here in Norway. The local butchers are long gone, and the big grocery stores compete solely on price and not on quality. During the barbecue season, you're usually stuck with the pre-marinated stuff which tastes the same whether it's beef, pork or lamb :x

You can of course special order, but that's fucking inconvenient, so if you still have the option, support your local butcher before it's too late.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
We have a few butchers in town.  There's one grocery store that I'll buy meat from and have excellent results.  The other one...I've thrown away 3 pieces of meat from the store and my cat wouldn't touch it so I no longer shop there.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
We actually have a new, high end butcher shop that just opened up. I have yet to try it, but it looks fantastic. I work across from an organic food place. Their meat counter is one of the best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, because it wears the moniker "organic" everything is about 5 times the price.

Shame about the lack of butchers though. My dad lived in Europe for a while and said in a lot of countries it's difficult to get a good steak.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
I'm currently waiting on a beautiful piece of strip/club steak (almost 2 kg) to reach its desired cooking temperature 8) It's my first attempt at the sous-vide cooking technique though, and I'm only using a makeshift sous-vide rig consisting of a big pan of water in the oven, so my stomach is full of butterflies... :nervous:

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Sounds good!  Post pics of how it turns out.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
I did take a quick picture of the meat on my plate, so I might post that later, but for now, you just have to take my word for it that it was pretty damn good! :D

Since my grandmother was also invited, I cooked the meat at 58 degrees Celsius, which turned out a pretty nice medium, but despite being a bit more done than I usually prefer, it's still one of the most tender and juicy pieces of steak I've ever eaten. If that's because of the sous-vide cooking technique, or just the superb quality of the Limousin cattle, which was also a first for me, is difficult to say for sure, but I'm definitely going to use both again in the future. That probably means I'll have to invest in some proper sous-vide equipment though, because temperature control in the oven was a bitch and a half... :?

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Looks delicious!

Here's my latest steak creation - filet mignon and brie poutine

The steak was medium rare but went to medium when it went back into the oven to melt the brie

Offline Limberly

^^ That looks SO good, made with brie.  And, Sverre....that looks good too...but, wow, that's rare all right!   :lol:   

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Actually, it looks rarer than it is. Probably due to the low roasting temperature I use. With a cooking temperature of approximately 56 degrees Celsius (during resting) it's closer to medium than rare ;)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
For the past couple of years I've been "perfecting" the technique of slow roasting larger pieces of meat in the oven, and I have been getting very good and consistent results this way. A few weeks ago, I finally bought a sous vide immersion circulator though, and it's amazing what a difference a perfectly controlled water bath makes!

And the result:

This was also my first, but definitely not last, attempt at a home made Sauce Béarnaise :) I still favour a good red wine jus/sauce though, but it's nice to try something different once in a while. I found the timing to be a bit tricky with the Sauce Béarnaise, so in the future, I'll try to finish the sauce in advance and keep it warm in the sous vide water bath. 55 degrees celcius should be perfect for that. I hope...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:19:04 PM by Sverre »

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
That looks delicious Sverre.  Congrats on the new food toy.  If we had an envious smilie, I would be using it here.