Author Topic: Guns N' Roses Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction: All Original Members  (Read 23767 times)

Offline perfect_spy

• Target Practice
Axl Rose and his lame open letters. If he doesn't want to go that's fair enough but to reject the induction is bullshit considering he still plays AFD songs. I saw GNR with the new line up a few years back and have no interest in seeing them again. I am pleased that in my lifetime I did get to see the UYI lineup twice.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Wow... and I thought I was pissed off.

People need to stop acting like Axl is the first and only person involved in this whole situation that did/said something stupid.

Slash dismisses two of the people being inducted as "other guys" who shouldn't even be there. In my opinion, that's worse... he can think it, but to publicly state it in such a way. At least Axl never discredited anybody who is being inducted.
Steven calls Axl's current line-up a bunch of hacks, then apologises, which members of the band accept and all's well. Until a couple of days later, when he explains that he actually meant to scabs, and that's what they are. Not better, Steven!
Then Matt Sorum takes to Twitter to promise the details of the event if he gets a certain amount of followers in time. We all know that he didn't have any exclusive details to give, and was just trying to get attention there.
I honestly believe that if these guys had just kept their fucking mouths shut, that wouldn't have happened.

But, I do wish he was able to act like a fucking grown-up for just one night. Ignored all of the bullshit and held his head up high just for those few hours. He could go back to ignoring everyone else after that and for the first time in years when it comes to something involving all of those guys came out looking like the good guy. A few hours. How the fuck is that too much to ask... he didn't even have to perform. And no, he shouldn't have done it "for the fans". That's all bullshit from a bunch of entitled assholes who think that just because you buy a record, t-shirt or gig ticket they are then able to dictate what the band do for all time. Here's the deal you make when you exchange money for those things... you get the music. You get the t-shirt. You get the gig. You do not get the right to demand they do whatever you want. I may disagree with him on this occasion (and God knows it's not the only occasion, contrary to popular belief), but none of that is related to any future gigs/music. In my opinion, the "fans" who are throwing their toys out of the pram and saying they'll never go to see him perform again etc., are being just as childish and petty as he is.

What he should do it for is the music. The music he created with those six other guys all of those years ago and is still with us and just as relevant today as it was then. Yes, I know that "people get divorced", but plenty of divorcees are able to put their differences aside for special occasions. Especially when they are occasions to honour their children (or in a band's case, their music). To be the only original member of a band left, and then refuse to be associated with said band for something like this, just bewilders me. Either you're a part of it, or you're not. Inducting a band without any one member of the line-up that got them there would be fucking meaningless. If on Saturday they talk about every member except Axl Rose, then they're not really inducting Guns N' Roses at all.

For the record, though, I think the Hall Of Fame - whilst they can induct whichever bands they want - should have clearer rules when it comes to bands that have had multiple line-ups. Either limit it to one line-up, the members when the band was the most popular or give everyone who's been in the band the option. For example, this year they are inducting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and along with them Josh Klinghoffer who joined the band as a full member two years ago. The one album he's been on has hardly set the world alight. And yet they never even asked Dave Navarro, nor any member of Guns N' Roses who joined post-1990. Seems a bit hypocritical, and arbritary to me, and a disagreement over that could have been another factor in Axl's decision. Or of course the decision to let Green Day be the people to induct them (a band I love and think are a great choice for the record, but Axl could feel differently). Even so, none of this is any excuse for him to throw the whole thing into disarray just days before the ceremony. At the moment it looks like Duff's the only one to have grown up in the last 25 fucking years...

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dee-snider-calls-axl-roses-decision-totally-screwed-up/

Dee Snider Calls Axl Rose’s Hall of Fame Decision ‘Totally Screwed Up’

Twisted Sister lead singer Dee Snider had some harsh words for Axl Rose. Earlier in the day, the Guns N’ Roses lead singer published an open letter to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame saying that not only would he not attend this Saturday’s ceremony, but he also declined the induction.

Snider was hosting the “black carpet” segment of Revolver Magazine’s Golden Gods awards show in Los Angeles tonight (April 11). Speaking to Slash, he called Axl’s decision “crap,” and insisted that the band should come together for such an important event. “It’s totally screwed up,” Snider continued.

Former Guns N’ Roses drummer Steven Adler was up next, and Snider told him that he was “disgusted to hear about your old friend” and that “anyone who goes to see ‘Rose N’ Roses’ is a traitor.” Zing!

Both Slash and Adler refused to respond to Snider’s comments. Adler also joked with the other members of his party about the need to stay quiet, as well. Then again, both men have spoken plenty on the subject recently.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-to-axl-rose-youre-being-inducted-anyway/

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame to Axl Rose: You’re Being Inducted Anyway

In the harrowing saga regarding the on-again, off-again induction of Guns N’ Roses into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at this weekend’s ceremony, the Hall of Fame has cast the final word, at least for now.

Despite Axl Rose’s personal (and quite lengthy) open letter in which he explains in great detail why he does not want to be inducted, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is moving forward with their plans to celebrate the band and their contributions. Coincidentally, Rose made an effort to point out in the letter that it was not “meant to offend, attack or condemn,” however it seemed to deliver on all three accounts.

Not only will Rose not be in attendance, he’s forbidding anyone to accept the induction for him, saying, “Please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf.” Lauren Bishop, a spokeswoman for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame issued a statement in response, simply stating, “We are sorry Axl will not be able to accept his induction in person,” but that the show would go on as planned. Bishop noted that other members of the band were planning to attend the ceremony including former members Slash, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler and Matt Sorum.

With fans openly upset and commenting on Guns N’ Roses’ Facebook page, partially to express their disappointment in Rose, they weren’t the only ones to speak out. Last night, Dee Snider of Twisted Sister told Slash that Axl’s decision was “crap” and “totally screwed up” while interviewing him on the black carpet of the Revolver Golden Gods Award show. Snider also tried to provoke former Guns N’ Roses drummer Adler into a response by telling him that he was “disgusted to hear about your old friend,” but neither Slash or Adler took the bait.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
Axl is the only one who looks like a dumbass in this whole situation.  This isn't some Nu GNR concert where the whole world has to stop and wait for Axl to take the stage.   Oh well, it's not like Axl will ever do anything worthwhile, musically or on a personal level ever again.  The old band will probably get the last laugh, when Axl looks like a big baby for not showing up.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Got to give it to Slash and Steven for not rising to Dee Snider's obvious baiting. Wish they'd learned the art of shutting up before now, though.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Izzy Stradlin Asked Me to Release This Statement Re: the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Reverb

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2012/04/izzy_stradlin_rock_hall_of_fa.php

Izzy asked me to do him a favor and sort of get this out for him. Izzy don't Tweet, etc.

Thanks.

Duff

Izzy's Statement:

I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GNR induction into RRHOF. I would like to say THANK YOU and GRACIAS to RRHOF for the acknowledgement of our works over the years as a band. BIG THANKS to all my bandmates who helped get us to where we are today. And, of course, THANK YOU to all of the people on this planet (including, but not limited to, the entire universe and beyond, etc., etc., etc.) who have supported Guns N' Roses from day one. Adios, Amigos!

Izzy Stradlin

LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=172579&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

KISS Drummer On ROCK HALL Snub, AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip Induction Ceremony

A day before the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony, Powerline veteran scribe Carol Anne Szel had a chance to ask KISS drummer Eric Singer some serious Rock Hall questions: The long-lasting KISS snub and the controversy surrounding GUNS N' ROSES lead singer Axl Rose's decision not to attend this year's ceremony. Here is what Eric had to say about all of it.

Eric Singer: I don't know Axl that well, but he should do what he wants. I don't always agree with the choices he makes or how he goes about it. And I think a lot of the guys that are in a band with him, they'll try to justify it or they'll say whatever. Because the bottom line is they don't want to lose their gig. And they'll lose their gig probably if they really say what they feel. But I think that he has a right to do whatever he wants. And in some ways, honestly, I kind of think, 'You know something, that's pretty cool of Axl.' I think it's pretty cool that he's not only thumbing his nose at them, but that he's giving them the middle finger. I think it's cool. It's like, 'Who the fuck are you guys to dictate what should and what shouldn't be?' It's almost, in a lot of ways, if you want to look at it from this point of view, he kind of has a voice for a lot of people who think the whole thing is kind of a joke.

"Look, I think the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame — and the idea of one — is a very cool thing. But the process by which they go about it is ridiculous. They should put a ballot out where people can call in and vote. Just like they do for 'American Idol' or just like they do for sports all-star teams. Yeah, some of it's based on popularity, but that's what it's all about. The reason bands are popular is because people like them.

"The people on some judging staff, they don't — most of them — never buy music. They go to concerts for free, they go to concerts for free to review it or whatever. I'm not trying to deny that some of them are genuine music fans, but who decides, all of the sudden someone says, 'I'm going to start a club and I'm going to call it the Hall Of Fame and I'm going to decide who will be in my club. And it's going to be based on my own personal bias and opinions.'

"It's like Jann Wenner, people like that, they don't like KISS. They don't like Gene [Simmons] and Paul [Stanley] on a personal … they have personal issues with them. So that's gonna be reflected. You're gonna say, 'KISS isn't going to be in the Hall Of Fame' because you don't like some of the members or you don't like the band? So we don't deserve it because a few people on the board don't like it. And that's exactly what's been going on all these years with that thing. And that's exactly wrong, that's not what it should be.

"Carol, it's like you, me and a couple of our friends decide to form a club because we're all real wealthy and we're going to call it the Hall Of Fame and we're gonna pick all these cool bands that we really like. And then we go, 'Yeah, I don't like MÖTLEY CRÜE but I like ALICE COOPER, so we'll put him in.' ‘Yeah, MÖTLEY CRÜE … I never liked them either. Okay let's not put them in.' That's basically what it comes down to, that's the attitude. To me it's ridiculous.

"Like DEEP PURPLE. 'Smoke On The Water' has one of the most replicated riffs ever. When you were a little kid and you got a guitar, one of the first songs you tried to learn back in the day was 'Smoke On The Water'. And they sold millions of records, they were huge. I mean, there was a time when (they were) one of the biggest bands in the '70s for sure. And they definitely had impact, there's no doubt.

"So my point is, like, 'What is your criteria based on?' The reason you have merchandising and all the stuff bands do now — like tee shirts, the name on your guitar picks — that was by KISS. KISS definitely influenced bands. So much of big shows and productions and all the pyro. If KISSdidn't do that, all these bands wouldn't be doing that today. You wouldn't have had a MÖTLEY CRÜE. Like SLIPKNOT, MANSON …

"I mean, KISS won the People's Choice award in the late '70s [for 'Beth' in Favorite New Song category], even over bands like LED ZEPPELIN. So now you say they don't deserve it? Tell me one reason why we shouldn't be in the Hall Of Fame? It can only be one reason, because somebody doesn't like them.

"Listen, at the end of the day everybody has an ego. And it's like this, when somebody says they don't like you, even if you say you don't care, well, maybe you are indifferent and don't really care much. But deep down I think nobody likes to be disliked. But I think what's ridiculous is when people don't like you for no reason at all. You know, everyone can choose their reason why they like or don't like something, but to just dislike somebody when you never met them and don't even know them … yeah, that makes a lot of sense. But these people think that way."

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
If on Saturday they talk about every member except Axl Rose, then they're not really inducting Guns N' Roses at all.

The reports I had read on one of the generic news websites (Sympatico, MSN, Yahoo...one of those ones. I'll try to find out which) stated that despite Axl's request to not be inducted, they would indeed induct him all the same. What that means in terms of speeches, performances and/or acknowledgements...I don't know.

At the moment it looks like Duff's the only one to have grown up in the last 25 fucking years...

After reading his and Slash's books, I have to agree. It's obvious by the public remarks by almost all involved in the band that nothing much has changed. To tell the truth, I didn't care too much about the HoF in the first place; at this point I'm pretty much disinterested in the entire thing. Oh and on a side note: Every time Dizzy Reed speaks about anything it makes me physically ill.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=172605&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Former GUNS N' ROSES Bandmates MCKAGAN, SORUM, CLARKE Reunite On Stage In Cleveland (Video) - Apr. 14, 2012 

Former GUNS N' ROSES members Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke reunited on stage last night (Friday, April 13) at the House Of Blues in Cleveland, Ohio where Duff celebrated the paperback release of his critically acclaimed memoir, "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)", with a book reading. Billed as "A Punk's Revue", McKagan's appearance saw him reading selections from his memoir, with musical accompaniment by Mike Squires on guitar, Jeff Rouse on bass and Paul Huxtler on pedal steel guitar. The multimedia presentation also included photographs and video, too.

McKagan was joined by Sorum and Clarke on a few numbers, including GUNS N' ROSES' "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Patience".

Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be seen below.

The original five members of GUNS N' ROSES, along with Sorum and keyboardist Dizzy Reed, will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame today (Saturday, April 14) in Cleveland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQncbfF80rk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLpH25Ao7dg&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
BASSically a little Green Room action from @HOBCleveland -- from @GreenDAY @MikeDirnt n' I

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
daniella clarkeþ@FrankieBJeans

Duff and Gilby punk rock style rehearsal in the @rock_hall bathroom!

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
daniella clarkeþ@FrankieBJeans

our table couldn't get everyone in!

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
The other half of our table! @PerlaFHudson and some guy with a hat on!

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
Winning!...Without Axl.  That is the real Guns N Roses, right there, less all the drama  Heard they played some songs at the RNRHOF and sounded great!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:12:59 PM by Trist805#2 »

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=172616&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Former GUNS N' ROSES members Slash, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke performed three "Appetite For Destruction" songs with Myles Kennedy at the band's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony earlier tonight (Saturday, April 14) in Cleveland, Ohio. Kennedy, who handles lead vocals in Slash's solo band and ALTER BRIDGE, sang "Mr. Brownstone", "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Paradise City", with "Use Your Illusion"-era member Sorum sitting behind the drum kit on "Brownstone" and the man he replaced in GN'R, Adler, pounding the skins for the other two songs.

"I am overwhelmed," McKagan said of the honor. He also addressed singer Axl Rose's absence during his acceptance speech, saying, "I don't know if it matters who's here tonight because it's about the music that band created."

Slash said, "We have new fans who have never seen the original lineup and they're pulling for us."

Adler quoted QUEEN's "We Are the Champions": "You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it, and I thank you all."

GREEN DAY's Billie Joe Armstrong delivered the induction speech for GN'R, saying, "The first time I saw GUNS N' ROSES on MTV, I thought, 'One of these guys could end up dead or in jail,'" He raved about "Appetite For Destruction", calling it "the best debut album in the history of rock and roll. Every song hits hard. It takes you a trip to the seedy world of Los Angeles. The thing that set them apart from everyone else was guts. They never lost their edge for one second." He also praised each of the GN'R members, before saying, "Let's see, who am I missing?" to a round of boos. He then referred to Rose as "one of the best frontmen to ever touch a microphone," and added, "And you're fucking crazy. Most singers in bands are, I can vouch for that."

Clarke played guitar with GN'R in the 1990s but was not inducted.

As for the other inductees, Chris Rock inducted the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, Chuck D did the honors for the BEASTIE BOYS, Bette Midler inducted Laura Nyro, ZZ TOP was on hand for Freddie King, Carole King inducted Don Kirshner, John Mellencamp paid tribute to Donovan and Steve Van Zandt handled duties for the SMALL FACES/FACES.

Some 7,000 fans packed Public Auditorium for the sold-out event.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/axl-rose-booed-ignored-rock-hall-fame-inductions-043105158.html

Axl Rose Booed, Ignored at Rock Hall of Fame Inductions

Axl Rose's former bandmates in Guns N' Roses took the high road during their acceptance speeches at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony Saturday night. The crowd? Not so much.

The ex-GNR members declined to mention the singer by name. But Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong had to, of course, in his introductory speech, and the audience at Cleveland's Public Hall responded with a round of boos, as they had early in the evening when Rose's visage first appeared on the big screen.

Beastie Boy Unable To Attend Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

"Let's see--who am I missing?" Armstrong said, after discussing every original member of the band but Rose in detail. After the audience responded with raspberries, Armstrong broke in. "Shut the [bleep] up!" he said, in a not-too-admonitory way that made it clear he knew why the crowd was upset. "Shut up. This man's a bad-ass [bleeping] singer--one of the best frontmen to ever touch a mic."

Despite Armstrong's implicit plea for forgiveness, it was clear that Rose has, for this week, at least, become the kind of villain rarely seen outside a superhero movie. In his open letter declining the honor earlier in the week, Rose wrote, "Unfortunately I'm sure there will be those who take offense... God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout"—and more prophetic words were never spoken.

In his introduction, as if to offer an apologia for the MIA singer, Armstrong broke into an imitation of Rose singing a lyric about being "crazy." "Most singers are crazy," the Green Day singer added, describing it as a vocational hazard. "I can vouch for that right now."

When the band members came forward to speak, there were no specific references to Rose, but the musicians did use their allusions.

"The fans are the ones who made it possible for us to get together tonight with all the adversity and everything that was going on," said Slash. He particularly thanked his wife, saying, "When all this drama was going on, I was like [bleep] it, but she said 'Go and do it with the guys,' and I said 'You're right.'"
Drummer Matt Sorum took the highest of high roads, saying, "I want to thank the other bandmates that aren't here tonight [and tell them] that I love and respect them and I'm honored to have been on stage playing music with them."

In his otherwise laudatory introduction, even Armstrong seemed to make an implicit, indirect criticism of Rose, who wrote in his open letter that reunion talk surrounding the induction was being used as a "distraction" from the current Guns N' Roses lineup.

"Being in a band is a very complex thing," the Green Day singer said. "It goes through eras and chapters of their lives... Sometimes you've got to look back at the old chapters if you want to move forward… Know where you've [bleeping] come from. Ladies and gentlemen, Guns N' Roses!"

When the band performed a brief set, it was with Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge singing "Sweet Child o' Mine" and other chesttuts, as he has on tour with Slash in the past. Fans had mixed reactions to seeing another rocker handle Rose's parts, but without Kennedy, the performance part of GNR's introduction truly would have been a bridge to nowhere.

Chris Rock put things in perspective later, while introducing the Red Hot Chili Peppers. "Let's face it," Rock said, referencing the legendarily tardy singer, "even if he had come tonight, he wouldn't be here by now!"

Although GNR's appearance was by far the most anticipated of the night, the Hall of Fame saved the Red Hot Chili Peppers' induction for last, surely figuring it was most celebratory to go out on the one band that was able to perform without a guest lead singer.

In a streak of bad luck for attendees at Public Hall (and those who'll tune in to an edited version of the show on HBO May 5), there were other acts with members out of commission. Rod Stewart came down with the flu and wasn't able to perform with the Faces, but Simply Red's Mick Hucknall drew kudos for sitting in and singing from that band's repertoire as well as that of the concurrently inducted Small Faces, who were led by the late Steve Marriott.

The two present members of the Beastie Boys declined to perform without cancer-stricken cohort Adam Yauch, so the Roots gave tribute, fronted by Kid Rock, the Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy, and Black Thought standing in for the celebrated trio.

ZZ Top both introduced and did the performing honors for Freddie King. The late Laura Nyro was covered by Sara Bareilles, after an emotional introduction by Bette Midler, while Donovan was thankfully around to sing his own "Sunshine Superman" after an introduction from fan John Mellencamp, who said, "I wasn't just listening to Donovan, I was stealing from Donovan."

Naturally, everybody had an opinion on the night's proceedings—even Donald Trump, who tweeted, "Axl Rose should take his #rockhall2012 honors and be happy. Stop the no induction nonsense. Do it for your fans." Disenchanted fans to Axl: Welcome to the bungle?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Cool. I didn't think they would play with Myles Kennedy, but that's kinda neat. May as well be another ragtag "Guns N' Roses". One way or the other.  :lol:

Good job fellas.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/04/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-rock-hall-of-fame-induction.html

Axl Rose kept his promise to boycott Saturday’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cleveland, but his former bandmates decided the Guns N’ Roses show must go on without him, gratefully accepting their statuettes before playing several vintage GNR songs with singer Myles Kennedy handling the vocals.

Kennedy, the singer in guitarist Slash’s current solo project and lead vocalist for Alter Bridge, stepped in to round out the lineup that also included bassist Duff McKagan, drummers Steven Adler and Matt Sorum, and guitarist Gilby Clarke in three songs from GNR’s 1987 debut album “Appetite for Destruction.”

Rose’s name drew choruses of boos and catcalls from the audience of about 7,400 at Cleveland’s Public Auditorium, where the ceremony took place. But Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong, who delivered the GNR introduction speech, shot back: “Shut up. He was the greatest frontman to ever step in front of a microphone.” He paused, then added: "But he is ... crazy. And I can vouch for that."

PHOTOS: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction

McKagan took a diplomatic tack to diffuse fans’ disappointment, saying, “I don’t think it matters who’s up here tonight, because this is about the songs that band created.” They offered up “Mr. Brownstone,” “Sweet Child O’ Mine” and “Paradise City” from “Appetite,” which Armstrong lauded as “the greatest debut album in rock 'n' roll history.”

It was, however, comedian Chris Rock, during his introductory speech for GNR’s fellow L.A. inductees, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who provided what perhaps was the most salient point of the evening regarding Rose.

“A lot of people are disappointed that Axl Rose isn’t here,” said Rock as the ceremony stretched toward the 1 a.m. mark for the Chili Peppers’ performance. “But let’s face it, even if he was going to be here, he still wouldn’t be here yet.”

The Chili Peppers closed the show with an all-star jam including Slash, Faces (and Rolling Stones) guitarist Ron Wood, Armstrong and the funk pioneer hailed by both bassist Flea and singer Anthony Kiedis during their acceptance remarks, George Clinton.

(For the Record: An earlier edition of this post referred to Ron Wood as "Faces (and former Rolling Stones) guitarist. He still is a member of the Rolling Stones.)

Flea, nearly in tears at the end of their extended-jam version of Stevie Wonder’s “Higher Ground,” told the crowd, “I love the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”

A full report on the evening, which also welcomed new Hall of Fame members the Beastie Boys, Donovan, the Small Faces and Faces, and Laura Nyro, will appear in Monday’s Calendar section.