Author Topic: Black Sabbath reunion  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Dude I'm so fuckin' excited. I saw Heaven and Hell, and I've seen Ozz, but to see Bill Ward, Iommi, and Geezer with Ozzy is just the shit. Can't wait.

Offline Rock_Fan

• Gunslinger
I've only ever saw Heaven & Hell live, so I can't wait to see the original Sabbath at Download.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
And so it starts...or ends...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169141&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has announced that he will not be able to partake in the recording sessions for the band's new album and subsequent touring activities unless he is presented with a "fair agreement." His official statement on the matter reads as follows:

"Dear SABBATH fans, fellow musicians and interested parties,

"At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the BLACK SABBATH album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a 'signable' contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band.

"Last year, I worked diligently in good faith with [fellow original SABBATH members] Tony [Iommi, guitar], Ozzy [Osbourne, vocals] and Geezer [Butler, bass]. And on [November 11, 2011, again in good faith, I participated in the L.A. press conference.

"Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another 'unsignable' contract was handed to me.

"Let me say that although this has put me in some kind of holding pattern, I am packed and ready to leave the U.S. for England. More importantly, I definitely want to play on the album, and I definitely want to tour with BLACK SABBATH.

"Since the news of Tony's illness, and the understanding that the band would move production to the U.K., I've spent every day getting to or living in a place of readiness to leave. That involves something of a task, and as I've tried to find out what's going on with the U.K. sessions, I've realized that I've been getting 'the cold shoulder' (and, I might add, not for the first time). Feeling somewhat ostracized, my guess is as of today, I will know nothing of what'shappening unless I sign 'the unsignable contract.'

"The place I'm in feels lousy and lonely because as much as I want to play and participate, I also have to stand for something and not sign on. If I sign 'as is,' I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician.

"I believe in freedom and freedom of speech.

"I grew up in a hard rock/metal band. We stood for something then, and we played from the heart with honesty and sincerity. I am in the spirit of integrity, far from the corporate malady, I am real and honest, fair and compassionate.

"If I'm replaced, I have to face you, the beloved SABBATH fans. I hope you will not hold me responsible for the failure of an original BLACK SABBATH lineup as promoted. Without fault finding, I want to assure everyone that my loyalty to SABBATH is intact.
"So here I am. I lay my truth down before you. I'm good to go IF I get a 'signable' contract.

"I don't want to let anyone down, especially BLACK SABBATH and all the SABBATH fans. You know I love you. It would be a sad day in rock if this current situation fell to the desires of a few.

"My position is not greed-driven. I'm not holding out for a 'big piece' of the action (money) like some kind of blackmail deal. I’d like something that recognizes and is reflective of my contributions to the band, including the reunions that started fourteen years ago.

"After the last tour, I vowed to never again sign on to an unreasonable contract. I want a contract that shows some respect to me and my family, a contract that will honor all that I've brought to BLACK SABBATH since its beginning.

"That's the story so far.

"Stay safe and stay strong.

"I love every single one of you."

According to U.K.'s The People, BLACK SABBATH's planned world tour and festival appearances are expected to earn the musicians in excess of £100 million (around $159 million), meaning each member of the band could take home up to £25 million (approximately $40 million).

The Ozzy-fronted lineup of SABBATH hasn't toured since 2005 and last appeared together when they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2006. They attempted to cut a new album — their first since 1978's "Never Say Die!" — with Rick Rubin in 1999, but the sessions fell apart after just a couple of songs and Osbourne turned his attention to his solo career. The Ronnie James Dio lineup reunited under the moniker HEAVEN & HELL in 2006 but split four years later, after Dio passed away.

Osbourne and Iommi in 2010 amicably resolved their problems over the ownership of the BLACK SABBATH name and court proceedings in New York were discontinued.

Ozzy filed a lawsuit against Iommi in May 2009, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Osbourne sued Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.

The Manhattan federal court suit also charged that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.

Lawyer Andrew DeVore argued that Osbourne signed away all his rights to the BLACK SABBATH trademark after he quit the band in 1979.

Osbourne's lawyer, Howard Shire, called that agreement a "red herring" that was "repudiated" when the singer rejoined in 1997 and took over "quality control" of the band's merchandise, tours and recordings.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
There is so much bullshit today, its so fucking hard to do anything.

just get up on stage and play fuckiing music. All of them guys are lucky to be where they are.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
All of them guys are lucky to be where they are.

Tr00f. That said; each member also deserves proper credit and compensation, regardless of what the Osbourne administration thinks they're entitled to.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
two words:  Vinnie Appice!! :lol:  :P  here's two more words...Matt Sorum lol

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Appice was ace when I saw Heaven & Hell...as for the other...I wouldn't even go.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
Appice was ace when I saw Heaven & Hell...as for the other...I wouldn't even go.

Yea I was lucky to see H&H with Dio at their last LA show.  I have to say, as much as I love Dio I went to see Geezer and Iommi and they both brought it.  They were fucking serious.  If I go, it is to see Geezer and Iommi.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
All of them guys are lucky to be where they are.

Tr00f. That said; each member also deserves proper credit and compensation, regardless of what the Osbourne administration thinks they're entitled to.
I agree, at the end of the day its still their job, and their business. I don't begrudge them for wanting more money. It just pisses me off to see famous people make all this money and complain.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Nothing in there says he's holding out for more money. Chances are it's more of a rights and billing issue.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

Yea I was lucky to see H&H with Dio at their last LA show.  I have to say, as much as I love Dio I went to see Geezer and Iommi and they both brought it.  They were fucking serious.  If I go, it is to see Geezer and Iommi.

Agreed. If Dio were still around, I wouldn't really be that excited about a full on Sabbath reunion. That said, this would be really rad. We'll see how it turns out.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169248&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has thanked the band's fans for their support after he announced that he will not be able to participate in the recording of the reunited group's new album or perform with them on tour unless he is presented with what he described as a "fair agreement" and a "signable contract" that financially reflects his contributions to SABBATH's history and his standing as a founding member of the band.

BLACK SABBATH members Tony Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne and Geeer Butler vowed to continue recording their new album without Ward, saying in a statement that they "were saddened to hear via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current BLACK SABBATH plans... We have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open... We are still in the U.K. with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll... See you at Download!!!"

In a statement posted on his official web site earlier today, Ward said, "I just wanted to humbly thank you all. Your support from across the world has given me further strength and hope for a positive resolve. I have been moved and overwhelmed by the thousands of messages. I love you all."

BLACK SABBATH toured without Ward when the original lineup reformed in 1997, but he rejoined the group the following year. In 2004 a contract dispute nearly caused him to not participate on that summer's Ozzfest tour, but the matter was eventually resolved and the trek went ahead as scheduled.

Earlier this week, Ward issued a statement in which he said in part, "At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the BLACK SABBATH album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a 'signable' contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band."

Ward added that he worked last year in "good faith" with fellow original members Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, including rehearsals and a November press conference in Los Angeles. But then, he wrote, "Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another 'unsignable' contract was handed to me."

The drummer, who played on 10 of SABBATH's first 11 studio albums, emphasized, "Although this has put me in some kind of holding pattern, I am packed and ready to leave the U.S. for England. More importantly, I definitely want to play on the album, and I definitely want to tour with BLACK SABBATH."

The recording sessions for the original band's first new album in 33 years were recently moved to London so that Iommi, who is undergoing treatment for cancer, could be close to his doctors.

Ward wrote that he's "spent every day" getting ready to head to England, but added, "My guess is . . . I will know nothing of what's happening unless I sign 'the unsignable contract.'"

He also wrote, "The place I'm in feels lousy and lonely because as much as I want to play and participate, I also have to stand for something and not sign on. If I sign 'as is,' I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician."

Ward addressed the possibility of his being replaced, saying, "I hope you will not hold me responsible for the failure of an original BLACK SABBATH lineup as promoted . . . It would be a sad day in rock if this current situation fell to the desires of a few."

SABBATH is scheduled to release its new album later this year and is confirmed to play the U.K.'s Download festival in June. All other tour plans, however, are up in the air pending Iommi's ability to overcome his illness.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Well darn. Not really surprised though.

I vote Jen Ledger as a replacement!

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Bill Ward out, Tommy Clufetos is now in Black Sabbath lineup. #fucksharon

I love the hashtag that The Gauntlet attached to this one

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Sucky, but Tommy Clufetos is one of my all time favourite drummers. Have seen him several times, and each time it was just fucking amazing. His playing rules.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169429&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

SiriusXM Radio announced today that Ozzy's Boneyard, the new classic hard rock and metal music channel, will launch with a full slate of content featuring Ozzy Osbourne, his family members, bandmates and other musicians on Wednesday, February 8 at 6:00 p.m. ET.

Hard rock and heavy metal legend Ozzy Osbourne will, for the first time, discuss the recent news of BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi's lymphoma diagnosis during a one-on-one conversation with SiriusXM host Jose Mangin on Wednesday, February 8 at 7:00 p.m. ET on Ozzy's Boneyard, channel 38.

Ozzy's Boneyard will also present Ozzy himself counting down his personal top 10 rock guitarists of all time.

The channel will also include the regular specials "The Diary Of A Madman", Ozzy's thoughts on everything from music to life itself, and "God Bless The Prince Of Darkness", the special featuring musicians, Osbourne family members and other notables talking about their appreciation of Ozzy. Listeners will also hear guest DJ specials, concerts and classic hard rock and metal music from artists like BLACK SABBATH, METALLICA, AC/DC, JIMI HENDRIX, PANTERA and VAN HALEN.

"After everything I've been through in my career I never imagined I'd end up with my own radio channel on SiriusXM. This is fucking amazing! Does this mean I can play whatever I want?" said Ozzy Osbourne.

"No one represents the evolution of hard rock and heavy metal more than Ozzy Osbourne," said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SiriusXM. "We know Ozzy's Boneyard will be alive and kicking."

Ozzy's Boneyard joins SiriusXM's roster of channels created in partnership with legendary musicians, including Bruce Springsteen's E Street Radio, Pearl Jam Radio, Eminem's Shade 45, Willie Nelson's Willie's Roadhouse, B.B. King's Bluesville, Elvis Radio, Jimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville and Siriusly Sinatra.

For more information on SiriusXM, visit www.siriusxm.com.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169418&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
According to The Pulse Of Radio, a source has told MetalTalk.net that the three remaining original members of BLACK SABBATH have recruited Tommy Clufetos, who plays drums in singer Ozzy Osbourne's solo band, to sit behind the SABBATH kit for the foreseeable future. The source added that manager Sharon Osbourne has effectively "fired" founding drummer Bill Ward, who announced last week that he could not participate in the recording sessions or tour plans due to his unhappiness with the contract he was offered.

Ozzy, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler responded to Ward's February 2 statement by saying, "We have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open."

The absence of Ward effectively prevents this from being the full-blown regrouping of the original SABBATH lineup that was first envisioned last year.

A number of SABBATH fans have rallied around Ward and have launched a new Facebook page dubbed "1,000,000 Black Sabbath Fans Say Yes To Bill Ward".

Ward said in his statement that he could not participate in the reunion, which was announced last November, unless presented with what he described as a "fair agreement" and a "signable contract" that financially reflected his contributions to SABBATH's history and his standing as a founding member of the band.

The recording sessions for what was meant to be the original band's first new album in 33 years were recently moved to London so that Iommi, who is undergoing treatment for cancer, could be close to his doctors.

SABBATH is scheduled to release its new album later this year and is confirmed to play the U.K.'s Download festival in June. All other tour plans, however, are up in the air pending Iommi's ability to overcome his illness.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/53/24456/Finally-Bill-Wards-Son-Comments-On-The-Black-Sabbath-Shitstorm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Thegauntletcom+%28thegauntlet.com%29

Finally Bill Ward's Son Comments On The Black Sabbath 'Shitstorm'
 A lot has been going on lately in the Black Sabbath camp and Bill Ward's son has finally weighed in. In a post on the Black Sabbath Fan Page, Aron Ward states:

"the press is spinning this shit storm to read as if my dad has quit. this is not true. the guys know that. that's why they said the door is ALWAYS open.
 my dad hasn't "declined" playing with black sabbath or "threatened" to pull out of this reunion.
 as he stated his bags are packed and he's ready to go. he say's it loud and clear, he definitely wants to play on the album and he definitely wants to tour.
 i know he's been committed to this project from the beginning all the way to the point everyone else flew off to the uk.
 when i saw him over the summer he had this little cd case with him that had all the rehearsals and song ideas.
 each cd was sharpie scrawled with rough titles and ideas they had been working on.
 about a month ago my dad called me to let me know that Tony had been diagnosed with cancer. he said they were all flying over in the next couple of weeks to continue recording the album in the uk and begin rehearsals for the summer tours. he'd been rehearsing more than i've ever known him to. up till about 3 weeks ago he was working extremely hard and close with the other 3 on this album/reunion tour. he was in very good spirits and sounded excited to be writing with Tony, Geezer and Ozzy again.
 i know if they sort this shit out you guys won't be disappointed.

i've always stayed out of my dad's business and would like nothing more than for everything to be worked out swiftly between the guys.
 unfortunately it's become personal with all these idiots slagging off my dad so this is for the fucking morons saying

"get over it Bill" : my dad has "gotten over it" again and again. he's risen above this bullshit thing called showbiz for the last 30 years. he's respected because he's real and honest not just because he's a complete bad ass on the drums. he's been there for other musicians. in all kinds of circles - punk rock, hardcore, metal whatever. he was one of the first to get his head screwed back on after the 70's and get cleaned up. he's given so much support to so many people trying to pull themselves out of the hell called addiction. he tries so hard to stay in touch with the fans. he'll talk your ear off if you get a chance. he is humbled by your support and loves you.

"can't believe he needs to make this public" or "it's not the first time" : you're an idiot and have no idea what the hell's really going on. just shut the fuck up and keep the speculation and lies to yourself. what my dad posted was from his heart, on the level and as usual completely honest. he wants you to know what's really going on. that he has been given a contract that he can't sign. nothing more to it. no hidden agenda. disappointingly someone else is trying to shroud everything in some kind of x factor "yeah it's full steam ahead - we have no choice" bullshit. of course they have a choice.

"don't be so greedy" : he is by no means greedy man. if he was he would of settled with whatever contract given him. it's kind of obvious someone else is greedy. wake up. he lives in a modest home in southern california. pays rent like the rest of uz. in case your still blind look at it this way - sadly the current "sabbath" statement reads as if someone would rather see the remaining members play in front of thousands of disappointed, confused and resentful fans then give my dad a dignified agreement. additionally the record sales will be severely affected because it isn't the promised original line up. all this because of someone's inability to respect him as the committed founding member he is. this has derailed the fan's hopes of seeing the original line up and strongly divided the fans. what a way to fuck up such a powerful, influential and inspirational legacy for the rest of time.

"who cares, it's just a bunch pensioners" : i'm just as cynical about old rock legends getting back on the road "one more time" as anyone but this is BLACK SABBATH. they've never been a conventional band. thing is i know these guys have been rehearsing loads. over the last couple months. when i've caught up with my dad he's been talking about how heavy the jams have been and how hard he's been playing. do you think people were looking at miles davis, ornette coleman or max roach going "man these guys are boring and old" no! it's the music that's important, played by the masters themselves. thats what we want. they're here to teach us, inspire us and make us flip out. i saw the (captain beefhearts) magic band recently on tour and they were clearly the definite article. legends. completely schooled any new hip shiny processed hyped out mush you've been exposed to in the last couple years. there's no doubt that there are loads of new heavy as fuck bands out there but to me Black Sabbath are still totally relevant. it's pointless to bitch about their age. they will kick serious fucking ass. trust.

to Terry (my godfather) , Ozzy (my friend when i was little) and Tony (towering hero) i hope that you will listen to your fans. they want all of you together. as YOU are black sabbath so is my Dad. i hope you guys can work it out.
 Aron"

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/53/24535/Remember-That-BLACK-SABBATH-Reunion-Tour-It-Is-Now-Officially-Called-Ozzy-And-Friends?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Thegauntletcom+%28thegauntlet.com%29

Remember That BLACK SABBATH Reunion Tour? It Is Now Officially Called 'Ozzy And Friends'
 BLACK SABBATH --who late last year confirmed the recording of their first new album in more than 33 years and a worldwide headlining tour--have had to put some plans on hold due to Tony Iommi’s battle with lymphoma. At this time, BLACK SABBATH will perform only one show of this summer’s previously scheduled European tour. It will take place Sunday, June 10 at the U.K.’s Download Festival.

So as not to let the promoters and fans down, OZZY OSBOURNE will now perform the majority of the previously scheduled BLACK SABBATH dates (both festival performances and the headlining shows) billed as OZZY & FRIENDS. These “first ever” OZZY & FRIENDS shows will feature appearances by “special guest” musicians including GEEZER BUTLER (who will join Ozzy for a special BLACK SABBATH set as a show of respect and support to their friend, Tony Iommi) and longtime former OZZY band member Zakk Wylde. In addition, OZZY will be accompanied by longtime collaborator and friend Slash at select shows, with other “special guests” set to join the tour at various stops along the way (full list of dates, appearances below).

Tony Iommi continues to make excellent progress and is looking forward to getting back out on the road. Meanwhile, BLACK SABBATH continue to write and record music in the U.K. for their upcoming album. More information about these dates and BLACK SABBATH’s recording and touring plans is forthcoming.

The 2012 tour dates are as follows:

BLACK SABBATH

DATE CITY VENUE

Sun 6/10 Donnington UK Download Festival

OZZY AND FRIENDS

DATE CITY VENUE

Wed 5/23 Helsinki, Finland Hartwall Arena

Fri 5/25 Stockholm, Sweden Stadium

Sun 5/27 Jelling, Denmark Jelling Festival

Tue 5/29 Bergen, Norway Bergen Calling Festival

Thu 5/31 Oslo, Norway Spektrum

Sat 6/2 Malmo, Sweden Malmo Stadium

Mon 6/4 Dortmund, Germany Westfalenhalle

Wed 6/6 Prague, Czech Rep O2 Arena

Fri 6/15 Vitoria, Spain Azkena Rock Festival

Sun 6/17 Clisson, France Hellfest

Fri 6/22 Dessel, Belgium Graspop Metal Meeting

Sun 6/24 Milan, Italy Gods of Metal Festival

Tue 6/26 Vienna, Austria Stadthalle

Thu 6/28 Belgrade, Serbia USCE Park

Sun 7/1 Athens, Greece Rockwave Festival – Terra

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
http://loudwire.com/black-sabbath-to-play-u-s-show-in-august/

Even though many of Black Sabbath ‘s reunion plans have fallen by the wayside in the wake of Tony Iommi’s Lymphoma diagnosis and Bill Ward’s contract dispute, singer Ozzy Osbourne’s wife Sharon says that Sabbath will perform one show on U.S. soil this year.

With drummer Bill Ward on the sidelines and Ozzy and Friends taking over all but one of the planned European tour dates — the Black Sabbath reunion is clearly not going as planned. With all of the complications that have occurred thus far, many have started to wonder whether Sabbath will even make their way to America. The answer, according to Sharon Osbourne, is yes.

“They’re gonna be doing one show in America this summer but I can’t say yet because we can’t announce it, the promoters have to,” Osbourne tells VH1 Radio Network’s Dave Basner. “But they are doing one show in August here together.”

Sharon has taken some unwarranted blame for the contract issues which ostracized Bill Ward from the highly-anticipated reunion. “It’s unbelievable. Everybody has their own manager in Sabbath. They’ve been doing this a long time and we have an independent team of people that work for everybody because everybody’s got their own manager,” explains Osbourne. “And I get the blame because Bill doesn’t want to play with the band — he doesn’t like his deal and I get the blame. It’s like, ‘Alright, I’m a big girl, I can take it.’”

As far as the new Sabbath album is concerned, Sharon says, “It’s going good. They’re doing really well in the studio. Gosh, they must’ve written 15 new songs already and it’s going great.”

Black Sabbath — with or without Ward — are still planning to perform at U.K.’s Download Festival on June 10 while the rest of their schedule will be picked up by Ozzy and Friends — those “friends” being Geezer Butler and Zakk Wylde with special guests like Slash performing at select dates.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
Sounds like the whole thing has turned out to be a sham. 

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Agreed with Trist. Whole lotta talk, not a lot to show for it.

That said, if I can go see the 3 of them, with Zakk Wylde AND Slash at a show, I'd be down like a cheap whore.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
To be fair to them, Tony Iommi is undergoing treatment for fucking lymphoma.

The whole Bill Ward thing was fucked (though he never went into any details about what he meant by "unfair contract"), but I'm surprised they're even playing one show together with the news of Tony's illness. Hopefully, if/when he's fully recovered, they'll eventually get to tour like they originally planned.

Offline vfly79

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dave's Bitchy Fan
I agree with you, AxlReznor. I would love to see a huge Tour but I just hope that Tony can beat his Cancer. The main reason that I wanted to see them was for Bill Ward. Whatever happens, happens. I hope the outcome is a good one. :)