Author Topic: VR is auditioning singers now ~  (Read 35964 times)

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
So Slash has said an announcement will be made this month, and his solo tour resumes Jan. 16. Meanwhile, Duff will be at NAMM on Jan. 15. Do you think the announcement will come prior to Jan. 15? If not, will Duff give another interview at NAMM like the legendary one he gave two years ago where he said VR was moving from the back burner to the front burner.

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvcVcofOXM

I personaly hope that the announcement will be made before Slash starts his tour. 

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
From Matts twitter account

In Studio all day with VR and mystery singer. Havin a blast. 2 songs done in 2 days. And they rock. Feels good to play with the guys again. We are makin big noise. More to come stay tuned.

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
Wonder how they'll choose to reveal the new singer's identity. Maybe an update of the official site that's been dormant for years?

Offline spivaman

• Unloaded
dont particularly feel like going through nearly 3 years of threads discussing singers, but what about Johnny Strong, the frontman from Operator. That band went pretty much nowhere after being a blip on the radar for a bit in 2007. Lyrically he wasnt exactly the greatest in the world but I for one dig his voice. Is it a total knockoff of Chris Cornell? Yes. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Not really. Besides, he obviously has a fondness for GnR since they used to cover Its So Easy in concert so thats one less song in the setlist to learn.

Corey is one of my favorite singers but I really have my doubts that its him ... he has enough on his plate with Slipknot and Stone Sour

Offline Ezikiel

• Sniper Assassin
  • Tyrant
bah just fucking announce it.... stop with the hyping!

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
This is so much like what they did two years ago. As Duff put it back then when things didn't pan out, if you have too much time to think about something, you eventually psych yourself out of doing it. Maybe they're afraid to pull the trigger and make an announcement, because then it makes all of this much more real than a couple of interviews and Twitter posts. Obviously, I hope that isn't the case, but you have to wonder.

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
After such a long wait and so many disappointments I'm also skeptical. But hopefully they are getting things settled before they make the announcement.

Offline Nickel

• Pea Gun Newbie
There are rumors starting to circulate that the new singer is going to be MICHAEL JORDAN.

I personally don't think he is a good fit.

Offline JonnyVR

• Gunslinger
  • Belfast Odyssey Arena- 8th June 2005
the dude out of Space Jam!?

its got to be Corey Taylor. no one else seems to fit the cryptic descriptions that the band have given the mystery singer

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
Only Matt talks about "the new singer" I really doubt they've already found it. I just hope the new singer has HALF of Scott skills for melodies, if not I'm afraid VR won't be so interesting anymore... If it's gonna be a "heavier band" like Slash is making it sound like, I can  only imagine them playing really good music with a singer that screams nonsenses. I'd rather solo projects than VR in that way :(
Time will tell... and time is hell  ;)

Offline mel

• Target Practice
Matt's twitter:
On Monday 10th January 2011, @mattsorum said:
In the studio with Cherie Currie tomorrow almost done. Also did 4 days with an amazing singer and VR and have 9 killer demo tracks. Going to make the decision one way or another this week.

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
Put this in the "for whats is worth" column;

A person posting on a thread on the mygnr.com forum says the new singer is Franky Perez. This person claims to have a source.

Offline skitzocalypso

• Target Practice

Offline bknouse86

• Target Practice
thats almost a whole record, sounds to me like they found their guy... i don't know why else they'd record 9 full tracks... seems like a lot for a "audition"

Offline John Bonham

• Target Practice
    • gunsnfnroses
Put this in the "for whats is worth" column;

A person posting on a thread on the mygnr.com forum says the new singer is Franky Perez. This person claims to have a source.

For the record: The person who posted that on mygnr - L.A. Hibay has never been right about anything. Just another fake insider.

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
More from Matt

MATT SORUM On VELVET REVOLVER: 'We've Still Got Something To Prove' http://bit.ly/f8PFaA

Offline soulvox

• Straight Shooter
More from Matt

MATT SORUM On VELVET REVOLVER: 'We've Still Got Something To Prove' http://bit.ly/f8PFaA

We tried out some fairly unknown guys and some guys that have been out there a little bit. DDSIM (David) or Sam S., did you guys get any wind of who the supposed unknown guys ever were? This is news to me?

Offline skitzocalypso

• Target Practice
There were a bunch of us, if they are referring to the demos they sent out to the 'unknowns.'  The 'looking for an unknown' singer seemed to be a way for the band to buy time. 

If they are to get another label deal, they need a marquee name to sell to the label.  I never thought it was possible, but a good opprotunity to promote.  I entertained the thought, but it didn't make sense why they'd even consider an unknown, from a business perspective or the perspective of being able to communicate with an unknown on a personal level.  You've got all these guys who have toured the world dozens of times - to take a chance on acclimating someone new or even giving cred./respect to someone on an entirely different mental plain, seemed a bit far fetched - but fun, none-the-less.

Offline soulvox

• Straight Shooter
Skitz,
He made it sound like some of the unknowns like us they'd actually tried out....which to best of my knowledge they didn't. (unless it was local guys in the LA scene, which would not surprise me) Few of us were supposed to fly out and then the squash was put on it before the holidays couple years ago now.

Offline skitzocalypso

• Target Practice
Yeah, I don't believe anyone flew out - if they did, they were all pretty covert.

Offline Sammy_dirty_little_thing

• Sniper Assassin
  • Hi, My Name is Samantha
    • Sammy's Myspace Site
Scott Stapp - erm, no thanks, please just stay with Creed

and as for Corey Taylor - that guy must be God, to be able to audition for VR, as well as tour with Stone Sour and organise the future for Slipknot, or he must be very well cloned, I love you Corey, but for him to be in VR, I really don't think so

Offline PRSsk84life

• Pea Gun Newbie
This decision is VR's last ride, in my opinion, and needs to be made now.  They need to follow through with their comments about making the decision in January.  When Scott left, they had a ton of publicity about who was going to take his place.  Websites were flooded with opinions over who would be the new singer.  Eventually, no one came to surface and most people stopped caring about VR altogether.  Here we are almost three years later.  The media has picked up VR again and everyone is excited and wondering who the new singer will be.  If they pass it up this time, they may as well call it quits.  They need to take advantage of this newfound publicity and make the announcement NOW, where people all over will hear about it.  If they wait till no one cares, the singer announcement will not have anywhere near as much promotion.  It's time to ride this momentum.  VR should just take a risk.  If it ends up sucking, then as least they tried instead of doing close to nothing for the past 3 years.  They really have nothing to loose at this point with any singer that they choose.  It's almost not too farfetched to count on a Weiland reunion than it would be finding a new singer.  It's staring to seam like the earlier has more chance of happening first.

Offline bknouse86

• Target Practice
should have known not to listen to the hot air these past couple weeks... its thursday night and still no announcement from the band...