Author Topic: let's suppose there's a new album + tour comming soon ...  (Read 10686 times)

Offline La velvet

• Pea Gun Newbie
do you think there's any song from Libertad that should be included in those gigs or is it an album that should be completely skipped?

personally, I'd still like to hear let it roll.

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
Don't think there's a new album or tour coming soon or even before 2011, but this is still a good question for the next time they tour.

My three favorites from Libertad and songs they should definitely play --

1. "Last Fight" -- One of the top 5 VR songs ever written. It's Slash at his very best. I hope we hear more like it on his solo album.
2. "She Mine" -- Duff wrote the music for this one, and I wish more of the album had been as catchy and melodic as this one.
3. "Let It Roll" -- Should have been the first single. It captures the rawness of Libertad, but retains the great choruses from Contraband.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
I'd skip over the album, but play Messages, because that's still my favourite Velvet Revolver song.

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
With all due respect, I never understood why that unreleased song was so popular. What is it about that song that you like so much? The meaning behind the song is amazing, but the music to me sounds like it could have been something discarded from the sessions of the last STP album. It just stands out to me as a song that is probably what Slash and the guys are talking about when they say Scott pushed them in a direction they didn't want to go.

Offline La velvet

• Pea Gun Newbie
I'd skip over the album, but play Messages, because that's still my favourite Velvet Revolver song.

good choice. I can't figure out why it hasn't been included in Libertad

Offline La velvet

• Pea Gun Newbie
With all due respect, I never understood why that unreleased song was so popular. What is it about that song that you like so much? The meaning behind the song is amazing, but the music to me sounds like it could have been something discarded from the sessions of the last STP album. It just stands out to me as a song that is probably what Slash and the guys are talking about when they say Scott pushed them in a direction they didn't want to go.

I even think that it wasn't as popular as it should have been. I don't know why I like that song so much. the guitar is sweet (and I don't mean cool, I say it in the romantic sense of the word) and Scott's voice sounds special there... dunno, it's a combination of thousands of little details that altogether make it the perfect song.

dammit... I still can't let Scott go  :(

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
The music was beautiful, Slash stepped up more than he did on any song that actually made it onto the album, Scott's lyrics were at their best, and his voice was the best it had sounded in years.  It all comes together to make the emotional song that the band ever wrote together, and it was heartbreaking.  As La Velvet said, all of those things together creates something as close to perfect as this band has ever got.

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
The music was beautiful, Slash stepped up more than he did on any song that actually made it onto the album, Scott's lyrics were at their best, and his voice was the best it had sounded in years.  It all comes together to make the emotional song that the band ever wrote together, and it was heartbreaking.  As La Velvet said, all of those things together creates something as close to perfect as this band has ever got.

Cool. BTW, man, you're a good writer. Seriously. Do you do other writing online in addition to forums?

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
well, if they're going to play VR stuff I'll be glad if they skip it, because I don't know how much I could bear listening to someone else singing Scott... still I can't get the idea of a "stranger" singing Fall to Pieces... sorry, you have to stand me  :lol:

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
Scott Weiland is without a doubt one amazing frontman, probably one of the best of the last 20 years. Period. He was a key ingredient in why Contraband sold millions of copies and why Libertad sold less than a million. He helped bring an edge to the music the first time around, but his influence may have overshadowed the rest of the band on the second record.

Offline La velvet

• Pea Gun Newbie
well, if they're going to play VR stuff I'll be glad if they skip it, because I don't know how much I could bear listening to someone else singing Scott... still I can't get the idea of a "stranger" singing Fall to Pieces... sorry, you have to stand me  :lol:

+1

it's also hard for me to picture Velvet without Weiland. it's as much a shock as picturing Velvet without Slash or Duff

Offline La velvet

• Pea Gun Newbie
Scott Weiland is without a doubt one amazing frontman, probably one of the best of the last 20 years. Period.

yes.

He was a key ingredient in why Contraband sold millions of copies

yes.

and why Libertad sold less than a million. He helped bring an edge to the music the first time around, but his influence may have overshadowed the rest of the band on the second record.

I'm not sure if I get your point, I'll make a try: I think Libertad was a flop because Weiland tried to put too much of STP on it, and the charateristic rock and attitude that was all the time long in contraband was no longer there in Libertad...   and I think he could not possible overshadowed Slash nor Duff, they still were the best part of the Libertad period, what it might have happened - IMO - is that he kinda "forced" them to slow down, to sound less powerfull and softer just to catch up with his new direction, and that's how VR's direction changed, to catch up with Weiland's.

I still think he's a terrific front man, and I would like VR to make peaces with him, and get him back, always respecting the old VR's direction, personality or mentality or whatever

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I liked Wieland for Contraband, but never felt that he fit just right for this aggressive rock band.  Hard rock and alternative are hard to put together properly.  Even STP's later stuff was not too great.  In any case, although there are a few good songs on Libertad, there was little marketing by either RCA or the band.  As a VR fan, the first time I heard about Libertad was when I walked in to the music store and asked the long haired dude in Long Beach where the VR stuff was.

Although I liked the music, I was really blown away when I first got to listen to Contraband--good stuff.  "That Stone Temple Pilots guy" never impressed me on stage, though, even with the early stuff.  He just didn't ever fit what I envisioned for the band.  I thought that he would get better with time, but we saw the opposite.  Perhaps they should do a short tour with several prospects, then just decide based on the results of that.

I still haven't seen anyone who could match younger Axl...

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow

Cool. BTW, man, you're a good writer. Seriously. Do you do other writing online in addition to forums?

I used to do some writing for this website, until I read the small print and realised that they could sell anything I submitted to any publication without me getting a penny for it.  And I've sent a few things off to magazines, and they've been "interested", but never published anything.  So at the moment, forums/facebook are the only places I write.  I'm hoping that will change at some point.

Offline Rock_Fan

• Gunslinger
From 'Libertad' I'd love the guys to still play 'Let It Roll' (a tremendous show opener!!), 'She Builds Quick Machines', 'The Last Fight' and last but not least perhaps my all-time fav VR song 'Gravedancer'!!

:)  :headbanger:

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
I liked Wieland for Contraband, but never felt that he fit just right for this aggressive rock band.  Hard rock and alternative are hard to put together properly.  Even STP's later stuff was not too great.  In any case, although there are a few good songs on Libertad, there was little marketing by either RCA or the band.  As a VR fan, the first time I heard about Libertad was when I walked in to the music store and asked the long haired dude in Long Beach where the VR stuff was.

just that, Shangri-La Dee Da is probably the best STP album... give a listen to the outtakes, also Nš4 is mindblowing!

something I'd like to add: Scott NEVER made a record sounding similar to the previous one, STP VR or even solo...

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
IMO, No. 4 is the most underrated STP album. It's freaking AMAZING!!!!

Offline nightrain88

• Pea Gun Newbie
messages is my favorite too.    only found about the song thru freakin guitar hero then dl'd it via itunes

Offline La velvet

• Pea Gun Newbie
I found it out through some recommendation

Offline Fudd-Mckagan

• Gunslinger
  • Not changing this until VR gets a singer.

Same for me. Fall To Pieces is Scott's song, the thought of anybody else singing it is really weird.

Same with a lot of other VR stuff, but FTP especially. I'm hoping that I won't miss Scott when they do get a new singer,  but I don't think anybody will be able to top him on that song.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance

Same for me. Fall To Pieces is Scott's song, the thought of anybody else singing it is really weird.

Same with a lot of other VR stuff, but FTP especially. I'm hoping that I won't miss Scott when they do get a new singer,  but I don't think anybody will be able to top him on that song.

Dangit.  When I go out singing, that's one of my best songs.  Grrrrr.

If I end up as VR's frontman, I'm def singing FTP's.

Offline andys revolver

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • NEEEXT !!!

If I end up as VR's frontman, I'm def singing FTP's.

SPAM !!!!!  :lol:

Offline andys revolver

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • NEEEXT !!!

I used to do some writing for this website, until I read the small print and realised that they could sell anything I submitted to any publication without me getting a penny for it.  And I've sent a few things off to magazines, and they've been "interested", but never published anything.  So at the moment, forums/facebook are the only places I write.  I'm hoping that will change at some point.

really????? I so fucking think that I already know you from somewhere else.... maybe a gnr forum... maybe ... from newgnr .... maybe from .... my msn !!!  :lol:

you're so characteristic of yourself

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
I'd be very suprised if they didn't play anything from Libertad. I know some bands tend to ignore albums they didn't like, or that weren't as successful but since they only have two albums so far that'd be a huge chunk of their history to ignore.

There are some songs however, on both Contaband and Libertad that I hope they don't play - not because I don't like them but because they're so personal to Scott I don't think it'd be right for anyone else to sing them. FTP is the big one, but also For A Brother, Mary, Mary, and possibly The Last Fight.

Offline Small Choking Hazard

• Target Practice
FTP is the big one, but also For A Brother, Mary, Mary, and possibly The Last Fight.

I can't imagine them not using FTP or Last Fight...those are a couple of their best songs and songs that people who don't follow the band consistently would probably recognize.