Author Topic: What the hell happened??  (Read 11505 times)

Offline Fudd-Mckagan

• Gunslinger
  • Not changing this until VR gets a singer.
Ok, so this situation we have here isn't good. 15 months on, VR still don't have a singer. We have a bunch of comments like "It was due to erratic behaviour", "When the tour was cancelled it meant the end." Yet we still have no real clue as to what went down.

I would love to know where it went wrong. Slash said the whole experience was bad; but if that's true, then why didn't Scott leave/get fired earlier? If the whole thing was a huge shit fest why did it last 5 years? I think a lot of fans would love to know the answers.

We have more info about what went down with GnR then we do about VR. All we know is that Scott supposedly became a pre-madonna, and had drug problems. Then we hear that other people (namely, Matt) were singing on top of Scott causing a muddled sound of the vocals, not to mention Scott getting incredibly pissed off. But these don't seem like causes to end the band. (Or lose their singer as the situation has it.)

I think we would all like to know where it went wrong. I mean it can't have just gone sour on tour. What happened between the members to make it so bad? And why couldn't they talk about it to each other? Something was obviously not right there. I mean, don't you think Slash, Duff and Matt would have learned to communicate better after being in the whirpool of miscommunication that was GnR? If they had a problem with Scott, why didn't they talk to him about it?

So many questions unanswered. So many scenario's that could have happened. Of course none of them want to talk about it, so we get left in the dark. Personally, I think this is bullshit. I mean we remain loyal, supportive and all that, but we get no insight to what really happened. We get a bunch of muddled scenes that supposedly led to the split, but no definitive answer on what really went down.

Maybe it's not my place to want answers, or to know what happened to make it go sour. But as fans, don't you think we deserve something at least to help us understand why it went down the way it did? I mean it's very easy to blame Scott, Slash, Matt or whatever, but it took the whole band to fuck it up. It took more than a drug problem to cause the crap.

Sorry, I'm just venting a little here. But I have so many questions that will probably never be answered. If you feel like we have been left in the dark and also mislead a number of times, please post. Would love to know what you think happened or just your point of view on the whole thing. (Sorry for the language)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:21:47 AM by Fudd-Mckagan »

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
I don't think it's any of our business what happened.  But I do think they have an attitude that is really hard to shake off.  That is if they have a problem Slash tends to just ignore it and hope it goes away and it all works out in the end.  And Duff is an eternal optimist (read some of his SW and Playboy columns) who probably just assumes everything will be fine in the end... and I'm not sure that Matt really cares as long as he's in a band - although he was apparently the one person who would actually speak up when they had a problem with something that Axl did.  But however it went down, all the time the problem builds up more and more until it turns into something uncontrollable.  That can be used to describe their various addictions, as well as the fate of both Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver.

I think making assumptions like this based on the few facts we have is all we're going to ever be able to do - it's been 13 years since Slash left GN'R, and people's opinions are still made up of assumptions based on what we've been told (and that's if what we've been told is even true).  And at the end of the day, that's right, because the relationships between the band members really has nothing to do with anyone but them.

Offline born2boogie

• Sniper Assassin
  • I MISS VR
    • Poetry Forum
I think its was AOA fault with its secret messages for Scott to go back to STP  :lol:
I knew it as soon as I heard that song "Goodbye" and it just went worst when Scott said he was going to do them summer gigs..

oh well that's life  :?

Offline Limberly

• Staff
AxlReznor's right - it's really none of our business.  And I don't think we need to make a huge issue of any of it as to what happened.  Bottom line is, they didn't get along with Scott very well and it caused problems. 

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
There seem to be a few different reasons, but I think it was when they went out on the second part of the tour in Jan. 08.  Everything after then, was just a big  mess.  Scott was wasted at shows, shows were cancelled/late, fights between Scott and Matt, Scott declaring the band over on stage.  Scott is not innocent, because as soon as he got that DUI I knew the band and their whole sober bond thing was over.  The band didn't need to be touring at that point. 

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
Ok, so this situation we have here isn't good. 15 months on, VR still don't have a singer. We have a bunch of comments like "It was due to erratic behaviour", "When the tour was cancelled it meant the end." Yet we still have no real clue as to what went down.

I would love to know where it went wrong. Slash said the whole experience was bad; but if that's true, then why didn't Scott leave/get fired earlier? If the whole thing was a huge shit fest why did it last 5 years? I think a lot of fans would love to know the answers.

We have more info about what went down with GnR then we do about VR. All we know is that Scott supposedly became a pre-madonna, and had drug problems. Then we hear that other people (namely, Matt) were singing on top of Scott causing a muddled sound of the vocals, not to mention Scott getting incredibly pissed off. But these don't seem like causes to end the band. (Or lose their singer as the situation has it.)

I think we would all like to know where it went wrong. I mean it can't have just gone sour on tour. What happened between the members to make it so bad? And why couldn't they talk about it to each other? Something was obviously not right there. I mean, don't you think Slash, Duff and Matt would have learned to communicate better after being in the whirpool of miscommunication that was GnR? If they had a problem with Scott, why didn't they talk to him about it?

So many questions unanswered. So many scenario's that could have happened. Of course none of them want to talk about it, so we get left in the dark. Personally, I think this is bullshit. I mean we remain loyal, supportive and all that, but we get no insight to what really happened. We get a bunch of muddled scenes that supposedly led to the split, but no definitive answer on what really went down.

Maybe it's not my place to want answers, or to know what happened to make it go sour. But as fans, don't you think we deserve something at least to help us understand why it went down the way it did? I mean it's very easy to blame Scott, Slash, Matt or whatever, but it took the whole band to fuck it up. It took more than a drug problem to cause the crap.

Sorry, I'm just venting a little here. But I have so many questions that will probably never be answered. If you feel like we have been left in the dark and also mislead a number of times, please post. Would love to know what you think happened or just your point of view on the whole thing. (Sorry for the language)

I couldn't have said it better. Your post perfectly sums up how I've been feeling about VR this entire week. Now I'm just tired of being frustrated about it. Time to move forward and hope for the best.

Offline kathyb76/UK

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dreaming of Revelry
I can't see what the fascination is with wanting to know what really happened.

People go from liking each other to hating each other, people start to hate a job they once loved, its the way things are and what happened doesnt really concern me.

Obviously I'd like to see 'Velvet Revolver' do something else and would rather them take their time than just making do with a singer so they can get themselves out there.

Until then, for me as far as I am concerned VR are over.  It was great while it lasted but I aren't holding my breath for anything anytime soon.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
VR break up was a five-year-old kiddos fight for a bigger toy... No one acted like a grownup...
Scott wasn't the only one to blame here, however it was easier: Drugs  :roll: (which I think it was very hypocrite) and say he didn't care about the fans anymore, that's bullshit, why don't tell him they were thinking of replacing him? why announce on stage it was the last band tour?

Those are the answers I wanna know, I don't wanna know why Matt and Scott didn't like each other or why Slash is so pissed off now...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:56:48 PM by Agos_VR »

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
VR break up was a five-year-old kiddos fight for the bigger toy... No one acted like a grownup...
Scott wasn't the only one to blame here, however it was easier: Drugs  :roll: (which I think it was very hypocrite) and say he didn't care about the fans anymore, that's bullshit, why don't tell him they were thinking of replacing him? why announce on stage it was the last band tour?
I'm not sure about the rest of it but I assume the band didn't want to tell Scott until the end of the tour that they were thinking of replacing him because it would make things a lot more awkward to do it in the middle. (Personally I don't believe the decison was finalised until during that tour or they wouldn't have started it...I hope.)

And it was Scott who chose to announce on stage that it'd be their last tour. Why, I have no idea but it definately wasn't the rest of the band who decided to do it.

Overall though I'm going to join the 'it's none of our damn buisness' crowd. Partially because it's true and partially because it's much less stressful. No matter how many times we go over and over every last detail of what they're willing to say we'll never have an answer that'll make everyone happy (just look at the still unending debates about what "really" happened to GNR) and frankly it's just not worth it. It's not going to get the band back together and because we can never really know for sure (even if someone does try to give us all the details a lot of people won't believe them, with varying degress of justifiability, and the debate will continue) we have nothing to gain by debating it.

Offline Fudd-Mckagan

• Gunslinger
I know it's none of our business, but don't you think we deserve something? I mean we have a bunch of random scenes that don't seem to match up. I would love to know why Slash seems so negative about the whole VR experience. I mean, coming from him those words were pretty surprising, to me at least.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin

I'm not sure about the rest of it but I assume the band didn't want to tell Scott until the end of the tour that they were thinking of replacing him because it would make things a lot more awkward to do it in the middle. (Personally I don't believe the decison was finalised until during that tour or they wouldn't have started it...I hope.)

And it was Scott who chose to announce on stage that it'd be their last tour. Why, I have no idea but it definately wasn't the rest of the band who decided to do it.

Slash has said that when Scott talked to him about STP reunion tour, he said "ok, go ahead" because they'd already decided he would be replaced. January if I'm not wrong...

I know it was Scott choice (the announcement), I just don't understand why he did it if he didn't know they were thinking of kicking him out... (here I'm not defending Scott  :lol:)

Offline Limberly

• Staff
I know it's none of our business, but don't you think we deserve something? I mean we have a bunch of random scenes that don't seem to match up. I would love to know why Slash seems so negative about the whole VR experience. I mean, coming from him those words were pretty surprising, to me at least.

There were always rumors of infighting from the start.  There was never any love lost between Matt and Scott, and I think we always knew that.  I remember it being said at the time that their first European tour was very stressful for them.  I don't think we deserve any explanation of anything more than what's been said, myself.  Sounds like there was just a lot of stress, with Scott, a lot of the time.  I'm sure they all tried hard to make it work and weren't going to talk about it all in the press at that time.  I guess I don't see it as being such a big deal.     

Offline VelvetRevolver27

• Sniper Assassin
  • Where do we go now???
I don't think anyone will ever know and I'm sure we don't have the right to know...but I do think that Scott wasn't the only person who was a pain in the ass.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow

No... we don't deserve anything.  If we did, it would be our business, but it's not so we don't.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin

I get what you mean... As VR fans (not as slash fans, scott fans, guns fans etc etc etc) we deserve something, not the inside story, but maybe get some points cleared, as I said before, because those points involved US... they told US Scott was kicked out because of drugs and not caring for US. Scott told US "this is the last VR tour".

Offline johnsamo

• Target Practice
Slash wasn't happy largely because Scott limited what kind of songs Slash wanted VR to do.  A guy of Slash's stature not doing the songs he wants... that's a big thing.  That and Scott's inconsistent performance at the shows.  As for why he kept silent, well, sometimes you just plow through something and hope it gets better... It didn't, so they ended it.

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
Slash wasn't happy largely because Scott limited what kind of songs Slash wanted VR to do.  A guy of Slash's stature not doing the songs he wants... that's a big thing.  That and Scott's inconsistent performance at the shows.  As for why he kept silent, well, sometimes you just plow through something and hope it gets better... It didn't, so they ended it.

I never thought about it like this but you are right. I hope Slash continues to say what he is thinking. And he should not be limited  musically. After all he is the main man.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 03:36:55 PM by sleeper »

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
Slash wasn't happy largely because Scott limited what kind of songs Slash wanted VR to do.  A guy of Slash's stature not doing the songs he wants... that's a big thing.  That and Scott's inconsistent performance at the shows.  As for why he kept silent, well, sometimes you just plow through something and hope it gets better... It didn't, so they ended it.

I never thought about it like this but you are right. I hope Slash continues to say whay he is thinking. And he should not be limited  musically. After all he is the main man.

I do like that Slash is being real about how he feels about the first era of VR. I hope the next time VR enter a studio Slash is able to have a larger role in the overall process.

Offline Fudd-Mckagan

• Gunslinger

I get what you mean... As VR fans (not as slash fans, scott fans, guns fans etc etc etc) we deserve something, not the inside story, but maybe get some points cleared, as I said before, because those points involved US... they told US Scott was kicked out because of drugs and not caring for US. Scott told US "this is the last VR tour".

Exactly

I wasn't trying to say that we should know all the little tid bits that happened, because that is really none of our business. What I was trying to say was that I think we deserve answers to a few questions.

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger

Exactly

I wasn't trying to say that we should know all the little tid bits that happened, because that is really none of our business. What I was trying to say was that I think we deserve answers to a few questions.

+1

Offline my3sons

• Sniper Assassin
Exactly

Isn't that kind of the same thing?
I don't think we deserve to know anything except what they are willing to share.  I think it speaks to their character that we haven't been subjected to all the ugly details.  I'm glad they had at least some respect for the band and each other not to completely take the whole thing down thru the muck.
I was as disappointed as anyone when it ended.  I still hope they will be back again some day.  I love VR. 
But it was obvious from the start that Scott was somewhat distant and/or distanced himself.  It was what it was.  I don't see how anything more they have to say about it will make a bit of difference.  As fans - folks who admire the band and its members - we should honor their right to some privacy anyway.

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
Exactly

Isn't that kind of the same thing?
I don't think we deserve to know anything except what they are willing to share.  I think it speaks to their character that we haven't been subjected to all the ugly details.  I'm glad they had at least some respect for the band and each other not to completely take the whole thing down thru the muck.
I was as disappointed as anyone when it ended.  I still hope they will be back again some day.  I love VR.  
But it was obvious from the start that Scott was somewhat distant and/or distanced himself.  It was what it was.  I don't see how anything more they have to say about it will make a bit of difference.  As fans - folks who admire the band and its members - we should honor their right to some privacy anyway.

What's interesting is I think some VR fans forgot that they were just fans and instead pretended they were VR's managers, which led to demands for information about what all really happened with Scott, why the singer search is taking so long and when the band will get up and running again. Some "fans" have seemed stressed out about the inner workings of the band when at the end of the day it's really none of our business. There are only two things fans have control over: (1) Whether to purchase the band's albums; and (2) whether to purchase tickets to the band's shows.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Just stumbled on this topic and began to really think about this issue.  It really doesn't concern the fans as far as what happened.  The guys are all working on stuff musically and staying in top form.  If someone really great comes along, wonderful.  If not, the band has to decide whether or not to tour with someone who is less than stellar.

Personally, I don't have uber-high standards for frontmen, as long as they are willing to put forth the effort and keep up.  As long as it isn't this gumby here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC7EK68tdEY on the far right at 1:18.  What the hell was that?!  Is that like some drugged up version of YMCA?  As long as it's not that dude, I'm pretty much cool with anyone.

"I am the mother of the faking rainbow!" --Steven Tyler

Offline ddsim2003

• Straight Shooter
  • Go too far, then you will know how far you can go.
    • David Sean Simpson's VR audition page
Ok - most of you will appreciate most of this link. The rest of you should get a sense of humor ;)

DSS

http://www.basicjokes.com/dquotes.php?cid=15

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Yeah, that's pretty good dude.  Hey, when are you guys playing Boston?