Author Topic: Im so f**kin depressed....  (Read 8311 times)

Offline KaniSS

• Gunslinger
  • "Yow E, did you tell Sloan I said waddup"
Anyone else feel the same way about VR at the moment??? Or do I just take longer to get over this shit...??

Been sifting through the site for a couple of days just looking at the old photos, bootlegs and seeing the good times the boys had before the Scott split..and today I watched a youtube vid of Scott performing "do it for the kids" a few weeks ago, by himself and its seriously depressed the shit out of me. Scott was just a force to be wreckened with and the boys have been looking for so long now and they cant find anyone, which I ponder if they ever will. I know this isnt a "whos the new singer thread" etc but I just dont think VR will ever be the same for me, ever again and its killing me big time.

One of the reasons I loved the band so much was just the combination of Scott's style upfront, everyones experience, professionalism and the way the band just geled together from the get go which resulted in some of the best music I have ever experienced in my life... I dont think this will never be matched with the new singer. And the thought of VR being dead for good is slowly creeping up in my mind...

I feel really bad coming on this forum and seeing the numbers dwindle (3 members - 0 guests as I write).......

Anyway thought Id share this with you guys and see how everyone is going with the whole situation....

Cheers....

Offline kathyb76/UK

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dreaming of Revelry
With the VR if it happens, it happens.  I aren't going to get myself pissed off or hold my breath for it.

There are plenty of other things in life that can, and do depress me!.

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
The way I deal with it is to remind myself that VR was my proof that even the greatest band ever breaking up isn't the end of the world, so I can't really get depressed because they've broken up as well.

Especially since it's gotten Loaded touring again and whilst I can't imagine who could pull it off there is a chance they could find someone as good as ( it's even less likely but maybe even better than) Scott and continue touring and making albums.

Admittedly when you get right down to it a lot of that is achieved by not thinking too much about what's been lost but at least it works for me.

Offline soulvox

• Straight Shooter
wonder what's worse??? bein' a huge fan of a band that lost their singer or being the cat who wanted to replace THAT singer not gettin' a chance to find out what it's like to have fans of that magnitude? thanks for makin' me think about this shit again....damn it!! LOL.

ain't holdin' my breath, but ain't givin' up. just goin' bout my business.

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
The split bothered me at first but I have come to realize that life goes on without them. I only come here once a week now, soon it will be once a month I guess. I am looking forward to Slash's solo project that will be coming out next year. Unlike Just Me I am not that interest in LOADED so them touring does not help me. I have found other bands/artist to get interested in. I do not think they will find another singer. But I will always be interested in what Slash does.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:56:53 AM by sleeper »

Offline skyman

• Target Practice
yeah man.. I've been told by so many different people that when i pick up a microphone i sound a lot like Scott. And my band doesn't even sing any of the same songs as him. I've never gone out of my way to try and sound like him either. I just figure slash and the rest of the guys need a real icon to sing for the band and I'm just a no body singer from a Rock n Roll band in Ottawa Canada.. why should I even bother trying to sing for VR, I know for a fact that I can sing every song they've recorded with vocals well enough to do an over dub on them, but they need someone that's already toured the world, gotten the groupies, and done the drugs.. anyways if you want to hear what my voice is like just go to www.myspace.com/theweedsrock and you can decide for yourself if i sound like scott or not haha.. I won't be offended if anyone doesn't think i do, because like I said.. its just the way my voice sounds.. to be honest I'd rather be able to sing like Axl or Steven Tyler but that's not where my range is at haha.. anyways hope someone enjoys those tunes! they were all recorded at The Tragically Hips studio on lake Ontario..
and just to stay on topic I'm feeling pretty depressed myself! but I got other reasons for those feelings

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
VR break up depressed me at that moment (too much time passed before I play one of the records again) , now, I feel longing, looking the pics and old performances, and it kills me when I do that, so I think it twice  :lol:

I think just the one who likes Scott combination/style are feeling like you and me by these days, the one who got close to band because of Scott... I know it won't never be the same, at least for me... But STP filled that hole, and god! so damn good!

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin
whatever happens, happens

duff is out w/ his band and slash is doing his solo album and I'm sure he has a few projects to keep him busy this summer;

dave and matt are replaceable to me

Offline tomass74

• Sniper Assassin
  • http://www.myspace.com/wasted_talent69
    • Wasted Talent
I don't really care one way or the other what happens... If they regroup great if not oh well. I thought Libertad was awesome and Scott was a huge part of VR.  Right now I am looking forward to Slash's solo album.. I agree about Matt being replacable...

Offline Fudd-Mckagan

• Gunslinger
  • Not changing this until VR gets a singer.
How is Matt replaceable? He's a kick ass drummer, he wrote a lot of stuff for VR (including riffs) and is a big part of the overall feel of VR.

I know he may come off as a dick sometimes, but if he wasn't in the band anymore, VR wouldn't have the same feel, and obviously the music wouldn't kick as much ass.
He has a great chemistry with Slash, Duff and Dave, something that they couldn't replicate with another drummer.

I don't understand all of the Matt hate on here  :?

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin
How is Matt replaceable? He's a kick ass drummer, he wrote a lot of stuff for VR (including riffs) and is a big part of the overall feel of VR.

I know he may come off as a dick sometimes, but if he wasn't in the band anymore, VR wouldn't have the same feel, and obviously the music wouldn't kick as much ass.
He has a great chemistry with Slash, Duff and Dave, something that they couldn't replicate with another drummer.

duff and slash wrote much better songs with steve than with matt; and for that matter they wrote much better songs with Izzy than Dave as well....so I disagree, they could exceed their sound with a different drummer

Offline Fudd-Mckagan

• Gunslinger
  • Not changing this until VR gets a singer.

duff and slash wrote much better songs with steve than with matt; and for that matter they wrote much better songs with Izzy than Dave as well....so I disagree, they could exceed their sound with a different drummer

Well I see what you mean, but you are comparing them to GnR. Steve didn't actually contribute to the writing very much, so there is no real proof to say that they write better with Steve. They wrote better with Axl, since he was one of the main contributors to the writing process, and Slash actually had a good chemistry with him so it was a lot easier to make great music. But we don't really know who he/they write better with in terms of drummers.

But I do agree with the Izzy thing though.

Offline tntnoyes

• Straight Shooter
    • TN Youtube
wonder what's worse??? bein' a huge fan of a band that lost their singer or being the cat who wanted to replace THAT singer not gettin' a chance to find out what it's like to have fans of that magnitude? thanks for makin' me think about this shit again....damn it!! LOL.

ain't holdin' my breath, but ain't givin' up. just goin' bout my business.
I know the feeling.The thing that kicks me in the nuts is that I know I could bring VR to a different level. I can sing everything from slow acoustic to super heavy. Range is not an issue for me though I don't like a constant high scream vocal...I like to build the song. But I have done it. Everytime I play live I make sure everyone in the fuckin crowd walks away entertained and satisfied...I have even run through the street with my cordless mic at the outdoor Cooper'stown venue in AZ around moving cars. The 2 cops in the street I was singing too almost arrested me. But it made people smile. I also make sure my voice live hits every note in the song I am playing and don't do that octave down shit. I have worked very hard over the years to be the best frontman/entertainer I can be....and all I need is ONE shot. ONE legit person in the industry to give me a chance and help me get to a level where I can make many, many more people smile and sing. I am not one to toot my own horn, but I read this thread and just feel like, fuck...I know I could bring joy to the fans who miss Scott. The last couple of years I have felt like giving up or maybe I don't belong in music...or maybe, I just suck. It's hard not to feel that way as time ticks on. Though I have made many friends and fans on youtube lately and that keeps me going......still it hits every now and again (like right now) and wish the good Lord would fuckin prove me wrong that the dream can come true....
Sorry...had to rant.

www.myspace.com/tonynoyes
www.youtube.com/user/tntnoyes

Offline nightrain88

• Pea Gun Newbie
i hear ya!!!  but and i say but cuz this is just my opinion.  i never expected VR to be anything but a way to get the old gunners playin again with a hope of an eventual reunion.  yes flame me flame.  but that is my op.   but what happened was something special with VR in that they could actually write, record and play live some fabulous music.  i didnt see it comin at all.  i personally and selfishly wanted to see slash, duff and matt together again.  i was blown away with contra and quite happy with lib.  i saw 2 of their shows in l.a.  (actually the last one they ever played at the wiltern) and was blown away by their stage presence.  granted it wasnt 3 hour shows but they were still great.  i am a slash guy in the whole guns saga but im also an axl guy too so when scott started his downfall with the band i wasnt terribly upset.  i had the notion that his departure might forward a reunion between the original fellas.   yes flame me flame me.  but now i console myself with duff and slash being very busy.  and its their music that counts to me.  after all,  its all rock n roll to me.  in a perfect world we gunners would want to see our band touring and making music and to the VR faithful; it would be them ditto.  but it aint so right now. and yes to the original poster "that is depressing".   however i believe 2009-2010 will be a good year for us all!!!

war

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Tnt:  I really feel ya, bud.  I've got the mp3's you sent me, and they're decent, really decent.  You definitely have a pro quality voice.  If you never line up an audition, I'd love to play guitar for your band.  You definitely kick ass.  Compared to New Hampshire, Los Angeles isn't too far away from Arizona.  Maybe we should set something up and jam...

if you think I'm good enough to hang with your band.

}:D

Offline tntnoyes

• Straight Shooter
    • TN Youtube
Tnt:  I really feel ya, bud.  I've got the mp3's you sent me, and they're decent, really decent.  You definitely have a pro quality voice.  If you never line up an audition, I'd love to play guitar for your band.  You definitely kick ass.  Compared to New Hampshire, Los Angeles isn't too far away from Arizona.  Maybe we should set something up and jam...

if you think I'm good enough to hang with your band.

}:D
Thanks brotha. That means alot man. I dipped into some of the threads that you posted your writings in and you have a talent with lyrics. Very poetic and deep. Keep it up man. I think I'm about due for another trip to LA, love the beach the most! A jam would be cool as shit...even if acoustic. Or let me know if your in AZ at all...we'll set it up. You livin in LA now? A good place for a musicman... Shoot me a note and let me know your ok there.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I'm actually just staying in the Long Beach area looking for a place.  Unfortunately, I've had to spend most of my time mimicking the homeless folks--which I am, myself, at the moment.  If you can find a cheap place in the area, let me know.  I'm waiting on a youth hostel to open up next week.  That's the light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin

Well I see what you mean, but you are comparing them to GnR. Steve didn't actually contribute to the writing very much, so there is no real proof to say that they write better with Steve. They wrote better with Axl, since he was one of the main contributors to the writing process, and Slash actually had a good chemistry with him so it was a lot easier to make great music. But we don't really know who he/they write better with in terms of drummers.

But I do agree with the Izzy thing though.

i guess it's subjective but wouldn't you say for those who have AFD and the Illusions or Contraband; people in general prefer AFD? and more objectively, AFD and Lies combined sold well more the the UYI albums..........not to say thats a measure of quality

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Young Axl was a key part of the chemistry of original GNR, but, like Steven, that element no longer exists.  Slash, Duff, & Izzy are all that is left of the original A4D/GNR Lies machine.

If you are implying that Matt is not part of the A4D chemistry, I can understand that.  Nevertheless, a quick listen to Hollywood Zen is enough to remind me that he is a great musician.  I also believe that he contributed quite a bit to Illusions and (to a much lesser extent) the less sought after Spaghetti Incident, by which point, Axl exercised near total control over GNR Corp.  VR just wouldn't be what it is with some other guy.  People forget that Slash and Duff spent a good deal of time at one point looking for a drummer, and the process was not much different (in terms of the number of low quality people they played with) before they saw Matt performing on stage with The Cult.

Offline tntnoyes

• Straight Shooter
    • TN Youtube
Young Axl was a key part of the chemistry of original GNR, but, like Steven, that element no longer exists.  Slash, Duff, & Izzy are all that is left of the original A4D/GNR Lies machine.

If you are implying that Matt is not part of the A4D chemistry, I can understand that.  Nevertheless, a quick listen to Hollywood Zen is enough to remind me that he is a great musician.  I also believe that he contributed quite a bit to Illusions and (to a much lesser extent) the less sought after Spaghetti Incident, by which point, Axl exercised near total control over GNR Corp.  VR just wouldn't be what it is with some other guy.  People forget that Slash and Duff spent a good deal of time at one point looking for a drummer, and the process was not much different (in terms of the number of low quality people they played with) before they saw Matt performing on stage with The Cult.
I think you're right that VR won't be what it is with another guy. But it may take it to a new level with someone who can rock the VR and GNR they were playing live (plus some higher range GNR), write and record some killer new shit and just rip up the stage live! I think if the new guy can grab the fans they have and draw in many new with the changed sound...could be golden.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Hey, dude.  Do you have any new material, eh?  I've been writing myself, and I keep forgetting to post/send stuff.

Dude, I should record something right now.  I'm feeling all loose, and need to go do some karaoke or whatever.