Author Topic: another question  (Read 6808 times)

Offline mr. fuck-up.

• Straight Shooter
this is a forum of a band which is currently looking for a singer. some guys might be really good and want the job but don't know how to contact the right person to get a shot, so they come here in hope somebody can help them out. why are those guys banned for "spamming"? i mean if i wanted the job (which i don't) this'd be the first place i'd come to to ask for help to contact the right person. i don't think this is "spam" at all.

just a question that i want answered, not trolling or spamming.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:53:16 PM by mr. fuck-up. »

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
We're not American Idol judges for every wannabe singer.  Most that have registered feel the need to flood the forum with their links.  Pulling dozens of posts gets tiresome and creates more animosity from the forum members and staff than it does positive feedback for the singers. 
Only one has been banned so far.  We issued a statement and various warnings to stop.  If the spamming continued because someones ego was getting in the way of their comprehension of what was written...well *poof* banned.

Offline mr. fuck-up.

• Straight Shooter
i understand that but i also understand that some of these guys don't know where to turn. i mean they're not just going to pick up their phone and call Duff unless they're already in the music business or know some of the bandmembers personally, and if that is the case, i doubt that they'd come here to ask for guidings.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Anyone in the business should be able to track their management quite easily, even those not in the mainstream business.  Agents, if they're doing their job, should be able to make contact.  I imagine they've been overloaded with requests. 
Remember, we are a fan forum that is not run by the band but by individuals outside of the band. 

Offline mr. fuck-up.

• Straight Shooter
Anyone in the business should be able to track their management quite easily, even those not in the mainstream business.  Agents, if they're doing their job, should be able to make contact.  I imagine they've been overloaded with requests. 
Remember, we are a fan forum that is not run by the band but by individuals outside of the band. 
exactly. but if they're not in the business (yet) ? but i'll let it go here.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
I did put even those not in the business.  Google.  If they can sign up on this forum, they can Google the answer and it can be found on the first page. 

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
this is a forum of a band which is currently looking for a singer. some guys might be really good and want the job but don't know how to contact the right person to get a shot, so they come here in hope somebody can help them out. why are those guys banned for "spamming"? i mean if i wanted the job (which i don't) this'd be the first place i'd come to to ask for help to contact the right person. i don't think this is "spam" at all.

just a question that i want answered, not trolling or spamming.

No one has ever been banned, or even warned - and never will be - for inquiring about the audition process. This Mickey Valentine character was no exception to that.

Information on the band's management, and how to get in touch with them, is readily available on the forum - most recently in this topic:

http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=31204.0

In my (not always so) humble opinion, people who need help with this, probably isn't ready to be in a band with the likes of Slash and Duff though. Velvet Revolver really isn't a band you join to learn the basic tricks of the trade…

Offline mr. fuck-up.

• Straight Shooter

No one has ever been banned, or even warned - and never will be - for inquiring about the audition process. This Mickey Valentine character was no exception to that.

Information on the band's management, and how to get in touch with them, is readily available on the forum - most recently in this topic:

http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=31204.0
thanks for that.

In my (not always so) humble opinion, people who need help with this, probably isn't ready to be in a band with the likes of Slash and Duff though. Velvet Revolver really isn't a band you join to learn the basic tricks of the trade…

yes i agree. Velvet Revolver is a band you'd join to make mind-blowing music. don't really see the connection to that and "knowing the basic tricks of the trade".

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
Also bear in mind there's a big difference between signing up here and asking for help contacting management, or even posting one link to your music in a relevant thread to ask for feedback and bumping up every topic you can find that even vaugely mentions the singer search in order to post the same link over and over again.

The first two are not spam but the last one definately is, same as posting anything in every topic going.

Offline mr. fuck-up.

• Straight Shooter
A place dedicated to trading and sharing of bootlegs from VR, STP, GN'R and various other bands, as well as miscellaneous downloads, memorabilia and other rare collectibles - EXCEPT OFFICIAL RELEASES!

well my new question is: why on earth is it better to share unreleased music than sharing unreleased music/leaks? i mean sharing official releases is something that the musician has finished and obviously is wants people to listen to whereas unreleased music/leaks are something that they might very well not want people to hear. not allowing released music but allowing unreleased stuff is kinda supporting leaks? is that good?

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
You can't share official releases because it's illegal.
Officially released means available on vinyl, CD, iTunes or something similar - a method where you'll pay for it and the band will receive royalties for it. Putting it up for free would be encouraging stealing.

The same does apply to unreleased songs that are due for an official release, for example all of Libertad actually leaked before it was released, but no one was allowed to post it here because it counted as an official release.

Generally speaking demo versions of previously released songs are ok because they aren't regarded as the same recording, and generally the artists don't mind because they know the song will be judged based on the official version rather than the demo.

But the phrase bootlegs in the section description actually refers to live recordings, which again are legal to share for free as long as the artist (or their label) hasn't forbidden it, because they're not the same recordings as will be on the album. It's pretty safe to assume the artists do want those versions heard since they played them live.

Offline mr. fuck-up.

• Straight Shooter
so leaks and demos count as official releases on here?  interesting

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
When it comes to leaks, and demos of unreleased material (that is going to be released in the future), don't you think it's pretty fucking obvious what the issue is? :?