Author Topic: Just finished "Superhuman Savior"  (Read 4185 times)

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I just picked up a new amp (had to trade in my old Epiphone Les Paul for a studio edition... the difference in price paid for a Crate VTX65B, which is awesome).  I've spent the entire day playing a song I had written a few days ago.

Someone asked me for an example of the lyrics I do, and I can't remember who it was.  Anyway, here are the lyrics, I expect to post the mp3 in the next day or two.  I've been struggling all day trying to reduce noise in the track.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty limited in hardware, with a laptop and a really cheap mic.  My fingers hurt like hell, and my voice is pretty much done.

You are rain unto the wind
You are clouds down from the sky
You are sweet right to the touch
Great drops blinding to the eye

(chorus)
But I'm not your superhuman savior
I don't know yet how to fly
Oh, I'm not your superhuman savior
I'm not ready to see you die

The famous path less travelled on
It's not the best one all the time
The road that I have driven down
It's not the best one for you and I

(chorus)

At first, I tried running the whole song through as a simple E G D montage (like Knockin' On Heaven's Door, with G D Am, G D C), but I ended up tweaking the song so many ways that it just got hard to play.  As all experienced musicians know, it took so many takes to get it right (about 50, for me), that I could barely play or sing on the last few takes...

and there STILL noise on the track.  The bottom line is that the Crate VTX65 is a pretty damned good amp.  The fact that I traded a little bit of binding and hardware on a Les Paul for a kick ass amp has me pretty stoked.  It sounds great, and it's more than enough volume for a gig.  Just as important, it has three different foot switches with some killer effects and massive distortion, saving me a ton of money and hassle on pedals.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Sniper Assassin
I like the lyrics, I used to have the same problem with the noise, but now I'm using a Boss BR-600 8-track, which cost me about 120, and it's great. I'd recommend one to you, for recording guitars, vocals, bass...anything really. I also had someone use it to record a live acoustic gig I did a while ago and it turned out great. I don't have any software programs, I just mix it manually as it's an eight track. It also has a drum machine, that I haven't figured out how to use yet.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I didn't really have my hopes up on the mp3.  Fighting noise and static all day left my voice tired and not in the best shape.  The guitar part suffered, also.  It's a shame that that I have like two grand worth of equipment, that I can't use half of it, and that the other half is being run through Dell laptop hardware that does not consider the needs of a the average musician.  I wish there were some kind of music studio that worked like a gym.  You just pay a monthly membership fee, bring in your own instruments, and practice, rehearse, and get access to really high end gear, mixers, and software.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Sniper Assassin
Yeah man I know the feeling. Even if it's not the best quality I'd still love to hear it if you're thinking of putting it up?

Again - the lyrics are great. Especially the first verse.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
This is probably the song heard under the worst conditions, but here it is.  There's still quite a bit of noise on the track, and my voice and hands were really suffering by the time I got this one out.  It's not actually take 2, but the second take that sounds okay.  It's probably the 30 some odd take.  By that point, I was having trouble keeping track of the melody for the second chorus.  It sounded good live, though.

Superhuman Savior take 2.mp3

Offline SnakeEyes

• Sniper Assassin
I registered on the site but for some reason it says page can't be displayed. I'll try fix that.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I thought I had set it to "public," but the file was left private, anyway.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Sniper Assassin
Finally managed to download it, sounds good. In fact I can't find anything I don't like except the vocals are a bit low in the mix - further towards the end I can hear them better though. Well done.  ;)

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Thanks.  My voice was so tired by the time I got to that take.  I also never managed to get the lead guitar track on there.  No biggy since I didn't spend much time writing any lead stuff for it.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I rewrote the chorus a couple of weeks ago, and have been tweaking as I go.  It now goes:

C                      G                D      A7
I'm not your superhuman savior, I am alone

C            G          D        A
I don't know yet how to fly

C                       G              D       A7
I'm not your superhuman savior, I am alive

C           G                D   A
I'm not ready to see you die

It makes the song sound much better, in my opinion.  A few more times through the lyrics and I should have another recording up.  I'm visiting Long Beach, California, at the moment, but I brought my guitar.

Perfect practice makes perfect performance.