Author Topic: Should they change the name?  (Read 7539 times)

Offline The Snakepit

• Gunslinger
If and when Slash, Duff, Matt and Dave get a new frontman i personally think the band should not really be called Velvet Revolver anymore, its just not VR without Scott. Its just as bad as Axl calling his band Guns N' Roses, its just not the same without the key members. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
100% agree... VR is not more VR, they are a new and different band now... and they MUST change the name, I have been saying it since Scott left, now that the time passed we can think more clearer...

Offline Melodyman

• Target Practice
Hi, I think it should stay Velvet Revolver , whoever fills the spot should fit the Velvet Revolver sound the band has their style and Scott had his sound with the band which made for an Interesting combination but i think a more power singer would fit much better . It wont be the same but it can be even better!!

Cheers
Melodyman

Offline Small Choking Hazard

• Target Practice
i think they should change the name just because i think Velvet Revolver is lame. But with 4/5 founding members still there a band shouldn't have to change their name.

Offline vrfan1234

• Straight Shooter
I have no problem with them keeping VR.  When GN'R replaced Stephen with Matt and Izzy with Gilby and still called themselves GN'R I had no problem with that either.  I only had a problem with them keeping the GN'R name when I found out Axl was the only original member left.  With VR, the 4 original members who got together before they had a singer the first time are still there, so I think they should keep VR.  If it got down to where Slash (just an example) were the only original member left, then I would feel the same way about him that I feel about Axl, which is that he should respect the fans enough to change the name since it is a completely different band.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
^^ That would be ok if they were VR before Scott was in the band...

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I think that the name should stay the same, even if the front man wasn't quite as committed as the other members.

Offline tomass74

• Sniper Assassin
  • http://www.myspace.com/wasted_talent69
    • Wasted Talent
I think they should change the name and drummers while they are a it.  Scott was a huge part of VR and their sound and they shoul just let it go. And as someone already stated, Velvet Revolver is and always has been one of the dumbest sounding names out there...

I think Slash and Duff should really re-think everything and start from Scratch.

Offline Loaded_Revolver

• Sniper Assassin
  • Bert Is Evil
How is it just as bad as Axl with GnR? GnR lost all but 1 original member, VR lost only 1 original member, it's night and day!

I don't care what they call themselves... "Rifles & Tulips" would work for me, just get a fucking singer already

Offline Melody

• Sniper Assassin
  • EStonian...
I love name Velvet Revolver, its hard to use to the new name.. so i dont want new name, everybody knows allready name VR so yeah...

Offline born2boogie

• Sniper Assassin
  • I MISS VR
    • Poetry Forum
I hope they DON'T change the name.. I love the name Velvet Revolver and VR
besides which I've spent years coverting and explaining to ppl who Velvet Revolver are  :lol:

it just make life difficult if they changed it as many ppl now know who Velvet Revolver are

Offline gunner22

• Gunslinger
  • just a small town white boy...
I don't know if they should, but I would not mind if they did.

If it was up to me, I would change, just to avoid hearing those annoying people that like to bitch about little things.

I don't thik it'll be a big problem if they keep the name, but they'll definitely hear it in one interview at some point: "Did you guys thought about changing the band's name?" or "Why you guys kept the name?". So, to avoid that, I would change.

Cheers.

Offline NIKITA

• Pea Gun Newbie
If and when Slash, Duff, Matt and Dave get a new frontman i personally think the band should not really be called Velvet Revolver anymore, its just not VR without Scott. Its just as bad as Axl calling his band Guns N' Roses, its just not the same without the key members. Anyone else agree/disagree?

100% agree.

as for GNR... Im not too much into them, but I think Axl should've used his own name. Axl Rose, the name, is still strong enough to sell millions, but I guess he didnt want to run the risk and chose the easier marketing strategy

Offline Beast-from-Snakepit

• Gunslinger
  • Slashoholic and proud of it
you have to think back

were guns n roses still called guns n roses when Steven was fired?

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
you have to think back

were guns n roses still called guns n roses when Steven was fired?

whether you like it or not, a drummer is not the same as a singer.

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
I'd be ok with it either way.

In general terms my take on it has always been that if the majority of band members are the same then it's the same band. But if when they get a new singer they also adopt a completely different style I think it'd be strange for them to keep the name.

I'd also like them to change it because it would get them out of any kind of obligation to play Fall to Pieces which I don't think anyone but Scott should sing.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
I'd also like them to change it because it would get them out of any kind of obligation to play Fall to Pieces which I don't think anyone but Scott should sing.
Agreed. Even Myles, I LOVE Myles and he does a good job with the song, but still... :?

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
Agreed. Even Myles, I LOVE Myles and he does a good job with the song, but still... :?
Yeah it's not the most difficult song, a lot of singers could probably do a good job on it, but it's SO personal to Scott it'd be weird to hear someone else sing it.

Offline Chili

• Sniper Assassin
any kind of obligation to play Fall to Pieces

I hope they can simply decide not to play it?

It is very personal to him, and so are other songs, they should know that better than we do actually. (I hope so)

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
any kind of obligation to play Fall to Pieces

I hope they can simply decide not to play it?

It is very personal to him, and so are other songs, they should know that better than we do actually. (I hope so)
The problem is that FTP is also their big single. It got to Number 1 in America and is one of their best known songs so it's the one a lot of people will expect to hear at gigs.

Of course that doesn't mean they have to play it, but it makes it more likely than other very personal songs like For A Brother or Mary, Mary.

Offline HEKSEN

• Straight Shooter
  • Hard Rocker
    • HEKSEN ROCK HOUSE
How is it just as bad as Axl with GnR? GnR lost all but 1 original member, VR lost only 1 original member, it's night and day!

I don't care what they call themselves... "Rifles & Tulips" would work for me, just get a fucking singer already

Absolutely agree.

Anyway... I always liked Speeding Bullets as a name.

Offline ddsim2003

• Straight Shooter
  • Go too far, then you will know how far you can go.
    • David Sean Simpson's VR audition page

Offline Shocker

• Gunslinger
Why change the name just because one person has left? Did Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, Megadeth, Metallica, The Who, AC/DC, Judas Priest, The Temptations, Crashdiet or Faith No More change their name when they replaced members? Some of these have just replaced lead singers others (The Temptations, Lynyrd Skynyrd, G'n'R) only have one original member, there's also Napalm Death that has no original members.