Author Topic: Favorite pedals?  (Read 6835 times)

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I have a Marshall MG 15 CDR for the moment to work with my Epi LP Custom.  I'm starting to get into audio effects, and I'd rather use pedals to make those hard rock crunch sounds.  Can anyone recommend really good wah wah and effects pedals?  Any absolute favorites?

Also, is anyone willing to sell their pedals somewhere in northern New England?  I've been looking on craigslist for custom made pedals, but there's not any great supply of them.

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby
I swear by my Slash Dunlop wah and my Boss DD-5, both of them awesome bits of kit  :yes:

Offline Human_Tripod

• Sniper Assassin
  • AUS
i have the standard dunlop wah and i love it, can get some awesome clean sounds with it

Offline JonnyVR

• Gunslinger
  • Belfast Odyssey Arena- 8th June 2005
i have the standard dunlop wah and i love it, can get some awesome clean sounds with it

+1

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Cool, I'm looking online for both of those.

Are those generally items you pick up brand new, or is it cool to get them off of someone else.

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby
I'd always buy them new, you never know how much abuse they've had if someone else has been using them, you generally tend to find loose wires and other faults with used items, thats why they can be so cheap. Meant to say the Boss DD3 is a cheaper alternative to the DD 5 but just as good.

The standard Dunlop wah is a great pedal too, i just prefer the "dirty" sound that the slash wah has. Maybe go to your local guitar store if you have one and try a few different pedals out, alternatively come to my house and you can try mine............might be a long journey though!! :lol:

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
I use the crybaby wah, a CH-1 chorus, and a DD-3 delay. My rig is now set up as a TSL 100 half stack with the delay through the effects loop, that's my 'dirty' amp, and a jcm 900 50w combo for the 'clean' sounds with the chorus in the effects loop, and the wah goes in front.

I'm curious why you want to meddle with effects when you have a 15w MG - they're not bad amps, but i think before you get involved with pedals you should get 'your' sound through the amp first. Amps (and guitars) make a huge, huge difference to sound and a lot of people really neglect putting the time in to see what differences there are through different combinations of settings and tone variations. Many times, lots of pedals aren't needed.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I picked up the Marshall MG 15 CDR used, and the overdrive sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.  I love the OD sound, and I'll probably get it fixed eventually, but for now I have only a clean sound.

Point being that I've never done pedals before, and I like the idea of having more control over my crunch, and being able to turn in on and off without having to stop the song in the middle.

Once you're going to have a switch and wires, why not buy a pedal with some other goodies built in.

And I love the wah wah sound in a song.

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby
I picked up the Marshall MG 15 CDR used, and the overdrive sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.  I love the OD sound, and I'll probably get it fixed eventually, but for now I have only a clean sound.

Point being that I've never done pedals before, and I like the idea of having more control over my crunch, and being able to turn in on and off without having to stop the song in the middle.

Once you're going to have a switch and wires, why not buy a pedal with some other goodies built in.

My point exactly about buying used gear, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt which isnt much good really. Mickslogun is right, you would be better off concentrating on getting a decent amp set up to improve your sound, not the cheapest option i know but at least get something that is reliable and sounds half decent.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens

Wah-wah is fine, but i'm talking more about tonal pedals like OD. I use amp overdrives and have never once had to stop a song, because they come with footswitches and in the event of that breaking they also have a push button on the amp's front panel. You can get a much, much nicer sound from the amp (because even if you go as low as a valvestate amp, the distortion is made through pushing the valves rather than artificially digitally created) and, most crucially, you get much greater control - you have a detailed EQ with very sensitive knobs so slight tweaks give a whole new sound. If you get an amp with two separate EQ's (or even 3, like the TSL which is now very cheap) you can have a variety of tones at the push of a button.

I know all too well how hard it is to buy a new amp, but the other benefit of an all valve marshall for example is that age doesn't matter, they're built like tanks and most people have them serviced before they're sold. TSL half stacks are now under 500 on ebay (much less now, that was the price 2 years ago), combos are even cheaper, I got my jcm 900 for 300 second hand. I would really recommend saving up a few hundred and scour the local shops for secondhand amps and, failing that, ebay - just go with a trusted seller and make sure the amp has been serviced.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Basically, you're saying buy a new amp and start all over from scratch.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
Basically, you're saying buy a new amp and start all over from scratch.

Essentially. You don't have to obviously, but it would serve you very well. But that's just my opinion based on the fact that I believe a musician should try a variety before settling on something. You don't need to buy it outright, you can simply go to a few stores and try a few epi's through a variety of different amps and see if you like them. You may well leave feeling content with your rig, and that's fine. But you may also leave thinking the tones you just experienced were far superior to an overdrive pedal. Personally I have yet to find a pedal that can compete with a pushed valve, because that's the real deal and pedals are just going for imitation. There's no doubt the OD on a solidstate amp is inferior and a pedal can probably beat it, because again it's all digital and if you crank a solidstate above 5 your tone disappears completely.

I just wouldn't buy a series of pedals until i was sure i'd exhausted other options, and it can easily work out cheaper to buy an amp when you consider some decent pedals cost a lot of money. I've played and owned a variety of amps and pedals over the years, and i know that for my tone i simply can't get better than the guitar into a valve amp, with the only effects being there to achieve other sounds like the delay, wah or chorus. I couldn't rely on pedals for my standard tone because they're too inferior

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby
Good advice, you will never find an effects pedal that gives you the tone of a valve amp, think of it as building the foundations of your own sound, the amp is the foundation that everything else is built on, apart from your guitar of course and pick ups can help generate that sound so pay close attention to those also. ;)

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I see so many kits out there that just plain suck--$259 for all of the cheapest stuff on earth.  Why doesn't someone put together a complete kit that will sound good for two grand.  Or an amp-cable-pedal setup for one grand...

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
Analogman and Fulltone

i'm a fuzz man

Offline Born 2 b Wild

• Gunslinger
  • Yipee Ky-Ay Motherfucker!!
bought myself a boss dd7 digital delay, boss super chorus and a Blackstar HT DISTX Valve Ultra High Gain Distortion Pedal (which is damn sick!) this set up along with my old dunlop wah make for a cool sound