Author Topic: Dean DeLeo says VR didn't do STP songs justice  (Read 13718 times)

Offline N19

• Sniper Assassin
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:13:50 PM by N19 »

Offline Small Choking Hazard

• Target Practice
i found richard to be an emotionless singer. everything he sang sounded really boring to me even if the instrumentals were great

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin
Oh and just so we're clear,  Scott butchered PLENTY of his own songs on the last tour with STP, not to mention fucking up a few GNR songs too with VR.  Remember that version of Patience from Alabama?...yea I'm still trying to forget too.   And that is if he even showed up to the gig.   Hello Chicagoooo!!!!!---oh wait I mean Milwakee.

Ppl can say how he left for STP, but the truth is that the guy was also in the midst of a cocaine binge, and alcoholism and was pretty unreliable. 
Slash relapsed in 2006 and pushed back the recording of Libertad for months.  Matt Sorum went to rehab in late 2008 causing the first Australian tour cancellation.  Don't try and make it look like Scott's the only guy who fucked up.  Scott only had a handful of bad shows, I'd say 85% of the time on this tour with STP he was great.  He did a great job for a guy who had already been on the road for a year.

at least the GnR guys' relapses didn't affect VR's live performances like Scott's did :rofl:

Offline Sam_So Fine

• Sniper Assassin
  • The Smart Twin!
Oh and just so we're clear,  Scott butchered PLENTY of his own songs on the last tour with STP, not to mention fucking up a few GNR songs too with VR.  Remember that version of Patience from Alabama?...yea I'm still trying to forget too.   And that is if he even showed up to the gig.   Hello Chicagoooo!!!!!---oh wait I mean Milwakee.

Ppl can say how he left for STP, but the truth is that the guy was also in the midst of a cocaine binge, and alcoholism and was pretty unreliable. 

I remember that. We were moving up to get closer to the stage during that song. People were getting mad, yelling, and making comments...it was pretty bad.

As for Dean's statement, I have to disagree. I thought the covers that VR did from GNR and STP were pretty good. But that is my opinion. I think in someway originals are always better than the cover anyway.

Offline Peebs

• Sniper Assassin
  • 5/17/08 Columbus OH!

Slash relapsed in 2006 and pushed back the recording of Libertad for months.  Matt Sorum went to rehab in late 2008 causing the first Australian tour cancellation.  Don't try and make it look like Scott's the only guy who fucked up.  Scott only had a handful of bad shows, I'd say 85% of the time on this tour with STP he was great.  He did a great job for a guy who had already been on the road for a year.

at least the GnR guys' relapses didn't affect VR's live performances like Scott's did :rofl:

Delaying the writing and recording a sophomore CD and canceling a tour isn't effecting..
Yea. Ok. Whatever.
 :roll:

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
^^^^ Like Scott has never canceled a tour...

:lol:

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"
this has turned boring, meaningless and repetitive
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:29:48 AM by Agos_VR »

Offline MightyJoeBrett

• Gunslinger
  • www.stonetemplepilots.com

Slash's drug problems pushed back the recording of Libertad because he went to rehab, which hurt the band tremendously, they needed that record to come out in 2006 in order to bank on the success of Contraband.  Also when I saw VR in summer 2006 Slash's playing was definitely off because of his relapse.

Also Sorum went to rehab which canceled VR's first try at the Australian tour in late 2007.  Scott had the second one canceled.  Don't act like Scott is the only one who fucked some shit up.  3/5 of them did.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
The two things you mention,over and over and over(grasping at straws?), really have nothing to do with STP songs.  Sorry but Scott is the bigger fuck up.    Anyways, he is pretty much yesterdays news now on this forum.  I'm still willing to hear anybody out who isn't from  "Team STP and the League of Faithful Avengers"

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
The two things you mention,over and over and over(grasping at straws?), really have nothing to do with STP songs.  Sorry but Scott is the bigger fuck up.    Anyways, he is pretty much yesterdays news now on this forum.  I'm still willing to hear anybody out who isn't from  "Team STP and the League of Faithful Avengers"

I'm not sure some people here doesn't seem to get over Scott, and always keeps coming him back (to say bullshits but he's always back here)

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Sorry but Scott is the bigger fuck up.

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Scott Weiland here, but he's only the bigger fuck-up in the terms that he got caught more.  Even when he's looked at his unhealthiest, he's looked a hell of a lot better than Slash and Duff did in the early 90's.  Make no mistake about it... those guys were fucked up!  They looked like the walking dead.
And is the topic really so vital to be carried on for so long?  A guy from STP didn't like another band doing STP's songs... he said the same thing about his own band doing STP songs, so it's not like he was just out to trash VR.  Get over it, everyone.  I mean, why does everything have to turn into a competition about who's done the most drugs?

Offline tomass74

• Sniper Assassin
  • http://www.myspace.com/wasted_talent69
    • Wasted Talent
Some of the covers were great and some were not so good. I didnt really like the way Used To Love her sounded and I never liked Interstate Love Song anyway..

Offline lovemachine97

• Target Practice
I'm from team STP.  Let's see if I can be fair.

He did throw everyone in there.  Besides, I think he just means their hearts were not in it.  If you have followed Dean, as well as met him, he and his brother are incredibly nice, gracious guys.  He is a very spiritual guy about music.  He says it has to be as important as your next breath for it to be true.

And Richard singing STP, Scott singing GNR, VR playing STP--the guys whose music it was I am sure were not as emotionally into the performances as their own stuff.

Army of Anyone performed Interstate Love song in G# instead of E to account for Richard's voice.  It didn't sound that great. 

VR played the riff to Sex Type Thing incorrectly.  It didn't have the same tonality, and sounded a bit bogged down and generic (the played straight power chords, whereas the riff actually drones an octave E).

Also, Slash and Dave did not play the proper chords for the verse.  The DeLeo  chordings are old jazz chords and not just your standard rock chords. The riff was played close enough, but it wasn't an E/Esus4/E finish the way they did it.

This is what Dean means.  Not that they COULDN'T play them.  I am sure if they learned them correctly, they could've.  They just didn't.

I will say that the most "true" sounding covers any of them did were "Take My Picture" by Army of Anyone, and Patience by VR.  Then again, TMP is the simplest one: A2, A, Asus4, D, and Dsus4.  It's hard to screw that one up, just like it is hard to screw up Patience, which isn't much harder.  And Scott sounded good on Patience.

But really, while I agree with Dean, I think you guys are taking it too maliciously.  Remember, SLASH actually slammed STP first by saying he wasn't that into them and hated DeLeo's guitar tone.  So, he did throw the first stone.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:59:55 PM by lovemachine97 »

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin

But really, while I agree with Dean, I think you guys are taking it too maliciously.  Remember, SLASH actually slammed STP first by saying he wasn't that into them and hated DeLeo's guitar tone.  So, he did throw the first stone.

Really? Slash said that? when? what I missed??!! :shock:

Offline BadObsession

• Target Practice
Well Dean, the point of doing a cover is not playing it completely the same way as the artist that wrote the song.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens

You had a good post right until the end there. Since when is admitting to not liking a band 'slamming' them? Look how nice and easy it is: I don't particularly like Nirvana, and Kurt's tone wasn't to my taste.

Slamming? No. It's just a statement of opinion, not 'throwing stones', not judging any sense of musicality or anything else along those lines. You were actually being fair and reasonable in that post, but right after accusing people of taking something maliciously you throw in a statement claiming it as being malicious.