Author Topic: Dean DeLeo says VR didn't do STP songs justice  (Read 14289 times)

Offline MightyJoeBrett

• Gunslinger
  • www.stonetemplepilots.com
This is from an old Summer 2008 interview STP guitarist Dean DeLeo did, but it's new to me:
Has it been hard seeing Scott play with Velvet Revolver for the last few years?
It really hasnít been. I knew their first record debuted at No. 1, and I can tell you right where I was when I heard the news: I was driving home, and I called to congratulate him. The kind of thing that we have doesnít happen very often. I feel so blessed to play music with Scott, Robert, and Eric. And when Scott hooked up with those guys and had some great success, I was truly ecstatic. But I will be honest with you. I stumbled on a video of Velvet Revolver doing ďMr. BrownstoneĒ [by Guns Ní Roses] on YouTube a couple of days ago, which was a little disheartening. And it was also a little disheartening when Army of Anyone didnít do STP songs justice on some occasions. And Velvet Revolver surely didnít do STP songs any justice. Scott was Scott, but that band just couldnít play that stuff. I donít think they knew the right chords. Itís sad that all of us were out there kind of doing injustice to our legacy.

Offline MightyJoeBrett

• Gunslinger
Fuck him.
I'm thinking that there is strong possibility that you are a complete moron.

Offline Peebs

• Sniper Assassin
  • 5/17/08 Columbus OH!
Fuck him.

Fuck him how?? Reading is fundamental!  :roll: :roll:
Did he just say VR?? No. He said "Army of Anyone". He also pointed out that Scott singing GnR wasn't great either.

I always said that so Dean and I are on the same page.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
  • "A sonic trip to where -- I don't know"

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
This is from an old Summer 2008 interview STP guitarist Dean DeLeo did, but it's new to me:
Has it been hard seeing Scott play with Velvet Revolver for the last few years?
It really hasnít been. I knew their first record debuted at No. 1, and I can tell you right where I was when I heard the news: I was driving home, and I called to congratulate him. The kind of thing that we have doesnít happen very often. I feel so blessed to play music with Scott, Robert, and Eric. And when Scott hooked up with those guys and had some great success, I was truly ecstatic. But I will be honest with you. I stumbled on a video of Velvet Revolver doing ďMr. BrownstoneĒ [by Guns Ní Roses] on YouTube a couple of days ago, which was a little disheartening. And it was also a little disheartening when Army of Anyone didnít do STP songs justice on some occasions. And Velvet Revolver surely didnít do STP songs any justice. Scott was Scott, but that band just couldnít play that stuff. I donít think they knew the right chords. Itís sad that all of us were out there kind of doing injustice to our legacy.

I wish he had elaborated on this point.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
I have to disagree with him about Mr. Brownstone.  That song was perfect for Scott and those guys  :)   I also thought Patience was good, same with It's So Easy.  But to be honest, I always thought Sex Type Thing, and Interstate were pretty bland covers.   Crackerman was cool.  At the time it was good cuz that was as close as we could get. It is good they reuinited for that STP tour.  My favorite covers were when they did other bands. 

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby
I thought they did great versions of all the STP stuff, but i guess its down to personal choice

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin
I think what Dean tried to say wasn't the songs (covers) weren't good, just they don't make justice at what they really are

Offline snak3pit4

• Straight Shooter
Way to show some support, Dean. Do I smell jealousy? Yea they had great success, but they sucked at playing? come on ! I didn't hear any news about what HE was doing when VR was touring the world, who is he to criticize them.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Way to show some support, Dean. Do I smell jealousy? Yea they had great success, but they sucked at playing? come on ! I didn't hear any news about what HE was doing when VR was touring the world, who is he to criticize them.

You never heard of Army Of Anyone?  And he and Rob worked as a producer on at least one album (not sure about any more than that).

I don't agree with Dean, but he did point out that his own band couldn't do those songs justice, either.  I think he just has an issue with bands playing other bands' material, whether they share members or not.

Offline snak3pit4

• Straight Shooter
I've only heard of them when you guys are talking about them on the site here.

Offline let_it_fede

• Gunslinger
  • i was born the same day of slash!
    • www.myspace.com/let_it_fede
i don't agree with dean! they do the covers of both bands really well!

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin

So if you're not aware of what he does/did don't shit him... easy...
with say: "No, I can't agree with Dean, VR did justice to the songs" was enough...

Offline snak3pit4

• Straight Shooter

with say: "No, I can't agree with Dean, VR did justice to the songs" was enough...
I didn't shit him? It's my opinion, just because you don't like it doesn't mean Im not going to say it.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin

I didn't shit him? It's my opinion, just because you don't like it doesn't mean Im not going to say it.

Are you sure? whatever... :roll:

Offline Small Choking Hazard

• Target Practice
i can agree that when VR played STP covers it didnt sound the same.but i kinda thought the remark about them not knowing the chords was snooty. It's just that they play different stylisticly, not that they couldn't play them. On the Gn'R side of things i thought VR did a good job with the covers. Scott fit perfectly with the songs they picked to play and they knew not to touch the "Axl only" songs like SCOM

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I actually thought that the VR covers were pretty good--though not nearly as good as I would have hoped.  Strangely, STP didn't handle their songs very well, IMO.  Their original performances kicked ass, but the energy just isn't there in the performances I've seen.  Concert tickets, these days, are really expensive.  Bands would rather milk their die hard fans for money than play to huge audiences.  $65 bucks a ticket?  That's nothing for some bands which charge hundreds per ticket.  That just means that you have to pay five times as much to be part of an audience that's one tenth the size... and the energy isn't there.

The party's over.

Offline my3sons

• Sniper Assassin
Who cares?  Seriously.  Enough to start a new topic?  Motive questionable.  But that's just my opinion.  Carry on (if you must).

Offline MightyJoeBrett

• Gunslinger
It's something newsworthy about VR during a time where the band is basically dead.  Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not a story.  I agree with Dean, except on Sex Type Thing, I liked VR's cover of that.  I hated VR's covers of Interstate Love Song, Crackerman, and ESPECIALLY Vasoline.  Vasoline was completely demolished, just awful.  Army of Anyone botched a lot of STP songs too like Dean said.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Since we're on the topic anyway, I don't think I've seen STP covered well by anyone.  Maybe there are some good cover bands out there that do it, but I haven't felt good about any of the ones I've heard.  Scott hasn't been there vocally on any of those songs in the last few years.  After Contraband, he just kind of fell apart.  I didn't understand all of the praise that he was getting until I looked at some of his older stuff.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
Oh and just so we're clear,  Scott butchered PLENTY of his own songs on the last tour with STP, not to mention fucking up a few GNR songs too with VR.  Remember that version of Patience from Alabama?...yea I'm still trying to forget too.   And that is if he even showed up to the gig.   Hello Chicagoooo!!!!!---oh wait I mean Milwakee.

Ppl can say how he left for STP, but the truth is that the guy was also in the midst of a cocaine binge, and alcoholism and was pretty unreliable. 

Offline MightyJoeBrett

• Gunslinger
Oh and just so we're clear,  Scott butchered PLENTY of his own songs on the last tour with STP, not to mention fucking up a few GNR songs too with VR.  Remember that version of Patience from Alabama?...yea I'm still trying to forget too.   And that is if he even showed up to the gig.   Hello Chicagoooo!!!!!---oh wait I mean Milwakee.

Ppl can say how he left for STP, but the truth is that the guy was also in the midst of a cocaine binge, and alcoholism and was pretty unreliable. 
Slash relapsed in 2006 and pushed back the recording of Libertad for months.  Matt Sorum went to rehab in late 2008 causing the first Australian tour cancellation.  Don't try and make it look like Scott's the only guy who fucked up.  Scott only had a handful of bad shows, I'd say 85% of the time on this tour with STP he was great.  He did a great job for a guy who had already been on the road for a year.

Offline Agos_VR

• Sniper Assassin

Slash relapsed in 2006 and pushed back the recording of Libertad for months.  Matt Sorum went to rehab in late 2008 causing the first Australian tour cancellation.  Don't try and make it look like Scott's the only guy who fucked up.  Scott only had a handful of bad shows, I'd say 85% of the time on this tour with STP he was great.  He did a great job for a guy who had already been on the road for a year.

Amen... thank you I don't have to waste saliva  :lol: