Author Topic: What influences do you think that the next VR album should have? Proposed names?  (Read 10857 times)

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Appetite for Destruction, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Black Album, UYI, more Contraband?  Which kind of sound would you most want to hear?  Which bands should influence it?  More Blues, 70's rock, 90's, Punk, Alternative?  Also, how much thought should go into genre?  What would you like to hear from the band?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Sniper Assassin
I'm open to almost anything, but to see them doing Rocks/Sticky Fingers/Black Crowes/Pistols etc. more bluesy hard rock would be great.

Offline VR_Rock

• Sniper Assassin
You think there will be another album?.. :|

Hard to say really if they don't have a singer, and when they do, they would have a major influence on it. I guess I could hope for something heavier than Libertad and somthing more musically acceptable than contraband, with the same style.

Offline rnr

• Target Practice
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:48:02 PM by john_ »

Offline SnakeEyes

• Sniper Assassin
More than anything I'd like to see Izzy, Slash and Duff writing together again. But then again I wouldn't want Dave out the band.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
More than anything I'd like to see Izzy, Slash and Duff writing together again. But then again I wouldn't want Dave out the band.

You don't need to toss one rhythm guitarist out for another.  If anything, you can have them sporting separate guitars for different sounds--one with a Les Paul, the other a Telecaster or Ibanez to get different sounds.  Sometimes, you will be be playing G or Fadd9, then have to switch to a C for one strum.  That could basically cause you to screw up the whole measure during a live performance--even fall off the group.  That's unacceptable in front of thousands of fans.

One of the Les Pauls can crank out a couple of power chords during a solo in order to make the solo that much more aggressive.  Likewise, a different guitar can be added that provides a lightening quick palm muted almost-Metallica sound to a part of the song, like the lead into the chorus.  Instead of fiddling with ten different peddles, the lead guitar can offload a bit of work to Rhythm 1 while some of the rhythm is temporarily taken up by Rhythm 2.  Rhythm 1 can use Gibson Les Paul and a tube powered amp, while Rhythm 2 uses a BC Rich with a whammy bar or an Ibanez hooked up to a solid state amp.  The sounds that come out are completely different.  Slash uses a Gibson LP with Seymour Duncan pickups.  Just the pick ups make a big difference in sound.

Finally, it's possible for an electric guitar to cover some of the higher parts of the bass line.  A good front man should be able to at least pick up a guitar and spread the workload, letting the band create new sounds.  Some parts of a rock song are easy enough to play that an average guitarist could cover it.  Bono picks up the guitar for a good part of Joshua tree, and it makes the whole album, IMO.

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
What sound they'll go for, and therefore what will influence the album will depend on who the singer is. Whatever they do has got to fit with the singer.

Offline Melody

• Sniper Assassin
  • EStonian...
What sound they'll go for, and therefore what will influence the album will depend on who the singer is. Whatever they do has got to fit with the singer.
Indeed.

Offline jez_scott

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • I lOoovE ScoooTt
    • my scott's fotolog
hmm is obvious that the new singer is going to "affect" the band in some way, but i think they can just keep on rocking!
As far as the influences.. hmm i think the pistols are a good influence.. eventhough vr is not a punk band but they have certain style that you cant describe they are a rock band ( no question about that) but they sound really loud.. well not so much on libertad but is a good album anyway. i think they should get back with the music they played in contraband that kind of hard rock(?) with powerfull guitars and a heavy drum.. i dont know. a good name for an album is: revenge!  :twisted:

Offline vfly79

• Sniper Assassin
  • Dave's Bitchy Fan
for sure there will be another album , an definitely it should be at least as heavy as Contraband .... i wouldn't mind at all to have some AFD influences , but that's kinda hard if u don't find a singer that matches axl insane(in a good way) personality

That's my fantasy,too. I love Contraband.

I agree with Katy as well.It would depend on the singer/style and whatever else.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
They should let the fans write a couple of songs, just to see how it comes out... like a reward for being such die hard loyal fans.

Offline SorumVR

• Gunslinger
I'm looking for AFD with the modern edge Contraband had. I'd also like to hear more of Duff's songwriting in the new tunes. He's said that he didn't have much of a voice in the tunes written during the Weiland era. Duff is an amazing songwriter, both musically and lyrically, and VR would benefit from his contributions in both areas.

Offline LeCoy

• Gunslinger
  • The King of Funk
AFD and Contraband combined... that would kick your ass.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
+1

Fuck, never mind +1, fucking MULTIPLY BY ONE, YEAH!

Offline LeCoy

• Gunslinger
  • The King of Funk
+1

Fuck, never mind +1, fucking MULTIPLY BY ONE, YEAH!
LOL did you ever take math in school?

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
I wanted to see who would fucking get that.  Multiplican always sounds bigger, unless...

I just listened to the original STP Sex Type Thing, and I'd forgotten how good they used to sound.  Hard, fast, and fucking cool.  I wish Scott had sounded as good covering STT with VR.  The band sounded great, but Scott didn't look like he was giving his full effort.

Offline LeCoy

• Gunslinger
  • The King of Funk
Haha, yeah I was thinking you were doing that, but then I saw you did the same thing in another thread, so I didn't know  :lol:

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Omigosh, I studied electrical engineering in college.  I should be able to tell the difference.

Offline tomass74

• Sniper Assassin
  • http://www.myspace.com/wasted_talent69
    • Wasted Talent
I would like to hear some bluesy shit..... 

Offline velvetrocks1

• Gunslinger
I think these guys should go out of there blues rock shells and do something along the lines of rush or iron maiden they have the talent they just need to harness it. As for a singer dio would be great except were getting another new sabbath album (well sorta) end of this month. They need someone with a high voice again.

Offline tomass74

• Sniper Assassin
  • http://www.myspace.com/wasted_talent69
    • Wasted Talent
I think these guys should go out of there blues rock shells and do something along the lines of rush or iron maiden they have the talent they just need to harness it. As for a singer dio would be great except were getting another new sabbath album (well sorta) end of this month. They need someone with a high voice again.

You lost me after Blues Rock.   Iron Maiden?? Dio???? Yikes... Please no..

Offline Dutchizzy

• Sniper Assassin
    • red
I liked both VR albums for about a week and then lost interest very quickly.. especially Contraband was a dissapointment. For me it was like you have Slash + Duff + Matt, so the combination should be great, but then you have two albums which are outblown by Slash's Snakepit and Duff's solo albums.. it just felt so standard. And on Contraband with the modern sound it was like they were deliberatly trying to avoid sounding like GN'R or something. Libertad was more to my likening. Take the new Sick album from Loaded, now that's exactly the kind of stuff I expected in the first place off VR. Those songs have lot's of energy and there are some great ballads aswell, Duff's singing I prefer over Scott's. So I atleast hope that the new album will be something like that. Also more Slash, we need more solos and riffs like on Snakepit were he did more 'out of the box' stuff like the wah on Shine, slide on Rusted Heroes etc.

Personally I still think that if you put Izzy in the mix aswell you'll get the best songs, cause Izzy is one hell of a songwriter who's ideas can elevate Slash's playing, combine that with Duff's ideas aswell and you'll have magic.. and I don't mean that as in GN'R magic cause it wont sound like that (I don't even care about that) but you'll just get awesome songs.

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin

Dave could tour and Izzy could get song writing credits and make special guest appearances on tour whenever he felt like playing