Author Topic: Will Blu-Ray catch on?  (Read 3636 times)

Offline VR_Rock

• Sniper Assassin
So, I bought a Bluray player for my dads xmas, however thinking about the econemy, and the fact think the original DVD is still the more populer choice (and the cheaper choice) will it catch on? Have I just bought somthing that's going to be obsolete in a year or two (like the HDdvd releases)?

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
I think it will catch on.  I am not an expert on this sort of stuff but it basically got rid of hd dvds. Now its all blu-ray I see.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
I thought it already had caught on, myself.

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
HD-DVD is definately gone. They've stopped making the players and the DVD's - it's all going to be Blu-ray from now on.

As for whether it'll beat out DVD I suspect there won't be much choice. Just like when DVD took over from VHS and CD's took over from vinyl new movies will gradually stop being released on DVD at all so if people want to buy them they'll have to get Blu-ray.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I remember that DVD's and CD's took a LOOOOONG time to catch on.  People now know that, if you run out and buy the latest thing too early, you'll pay too much and get too little use out of it.  It's almost always better to wait for the cheaper and better 2nd and 3rd generation products.

I've got  a 3rd generation plasma screen tv, and it kicks ass compared to anything else on the market.  Lower power consumption, higher contrast, higher resolution, and 30 years before burn in.

Always with art, the first attempt is the most raw, the most vivid.  With technology, third time's the charm.

Offline Philth

• Sniper Assassin
  • Iron Ego
    • PhilthTube
I think its a market thats progressing too fast for a lot of people to catch up.  DVDs have only really been popular since 2000 onward(I remeber buying a DVD player in 1999 when none of my mates had one) and its only been a few years since places like HMV stopped stocking video tapes.  People also liked to replace their favourite videos with DVDs, now it'll be the same with DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.

Offline tatiana

• Sniper Assassin
for once, sony actually made a good business decision when it came to betting on technology. they don't have the greatest track record.

but - in this economy, i bet the transition will be even slower and the dvd will be around for a long time. in the meantime, because of the slow pace, something better may come along so - not sure.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Cost is a big issue.  I can run out and buy an upscaling DVD player that makes all of my old DVD's look almost as good as blue ray.  Worse, there's a huge library of $2-5 used DVD's, and you're more likely to get your favorite movie on DVD than blue ray.

I want blue ray for the improved audio quality, but other than the PS3, there's not a blue ray in the house, and none hooked up to a premium audio system.  If a band wanted to release a high audio quality product, they would do better releasing a DVD (which almost everyone has several of) or a USB drive with their songs encoded on it.  The last option could make it difficult to pirate, but is also more expensive per unit.

Worse, any higher than CD quality product would probably need to include an additional CD, giving customers two copies of an album.  The USB device, however, could have a simple headphone connector, to work like a portable mp3 player, but with much higher audio quality, challenging the limits of even high end headphones.