Author Topic: Got some questions concerning a bigsby  (Read 4423 times)

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
My birthday is in two weeks, i want a guitar. I want a Fender Strat or a guitar with a bigsby. Here are my questions
If i where to get a Strat with a tremelo could I pull of the sounds a bigsby uses as well.
My brother says guitars with a bigsby or tremelo goes out of tune easily, is this true?
And are Grestch guitars only ment for a clean sound?

oh yeah BTW I'd ask my brother but he just tells me get a Strat or bigsbys are stupid.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:00:52 PM by aerosmith513 »

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
All trems can achieve the same sort of vibrato, but each have their own characteristics, though someone truly skilled in setting up a guitar can pull most sounds out of most things.

Gretsch is only for cleans? Somebody tell Brian Setzer  8)

Yes, they do if you're using them alot, they're not exactly locking. However, $50 aftermarket and you can get locking tuners that should do the trick, but I'd not recommend changing those yourself if you've never done it before. Gotta learn sometime, but not when funds are limited.

Nothing wrong with strats, I played a beautiful one today, though I definitely prefer Les Pauls and thicker guitars akin to that.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
All trems can achieve the same sort of vibrato, but each have their own characteristics, though someone truly skilled in setting up a guitar can pull most sounds out of most things.

Gretsch is only for cleans? Somebody tell Brian Setzer  8)

Yes, they do if you're using them alot, they're not exactly locking. However, $50 aftermarket and you can get locking tuners that should do the trick, but I'd not recommend changing those yourself if you've never done it before. Gotta learn sometime, but not when funds are limited.

Nothing wrong with strats, I played a beautiful one today, though I definitely prefer Les Pauls and thicker guitars akin to that.
I love Strats, my brother already has one though and is building a Jazzmaster,would be ready but they messed up his face plate, so he needs to get. Its a beautiful guitar. And he has a Les Paul Studio so i want something different because if i get a guitar its gonna be a cheap version. The $400 price range. So his guitars would be better than them so thats why I want something different. Only one way to find out and Im going to guitar center tommorow 8).

Offline JimBobTTD

• Target Practice
I would avoid Bigsby trems unless you know:
a) That they are exactly what you want
b) That they are not for extreme use.

Guitars are my hobby, life and, indeed, job. But still, I cringe at the thought of having to work on Bigsbys and Floyd Rose trems. Floyd Rose because they are so damned hard to set up (and suck all sustain etc but stay in tune well when set up) and Bigsbys because I've always had a really hard time getting the strings on. They also do not do the guitar's natural sustain any favours either. They may look nice and old-style, and may sound great on some 50s style recordings, but I've yet to find a practical use for them in my own blues/rock playing.

I would stick to a Strat or Les Paul type guitar with their associated bridges. If it gets too much, it is not all that hard to put a Bigsby on a Tele or a Les Paul. Strats are out unless you are willing to put in some serious work.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
Im just gonna get a Strat with a tremelo.

Offline Dutchizzy

• Sniper Assassin
    • red
I've got a black Epiphone Wildkat (Gretsch like hollowbody) like below with a Bigsby, cool guitar.. on the pic it's an old model, the new ones have Bigsby on it lik the 2nd pic

The Bigsby works fine on it, just don't overdo it and it'll be in tune. It's a good guitar for the money (550 Euros) but it's got P-90 pickups and on the two Marshalls I tried it the sound was a little cold.. the Alleykat (same only with humbuckers instead of P-90's) would be my choice if I had to pick again.

I'm thinking about trading in the Wildkat for a Epiphone ES175 though.. always wanted one of those and Epiphone works for me.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:24:29 AM by Dutchizzy »

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
Thats a sexy guitar. Id consider getting that one later but I decided what I want.