Author Topic: New Singer Discussion Thread (Cite Official Sources Only)  (Read 208471 times)

Offline dazedandconfused

• Straight Shooter
I always found Scott a little hit and miss with lyrics. He has written some brilliant ones, but when he misses the mark he misses it by miles - I mean, can anyone tell me what "...come on motherfucker and deliver the cow" is supposed to mean?  :?

Offline LazyDivey

• Target Practice
Hah this is too funny.  Next up is a reality show.

Offline Chili

• Sniper Assassin
He has written some brilliant ones, but when he misses the mark he misses it by miles - I mean, can anyone tell me what "...come on motherfucker and deliver the cow" is supposed to mean?  :?

I don't know what it means and I don't understand it, but still, it is one of my favorite lines ever :)

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
would you rather they pick someone well known with a shit load of issues?

I don't think they'd find anyone good enough who didn't come with a shitload of issues, famous or not.  The issues are what makes their songs interesting... and in some cases, what makes their performances so entertaining.

Offline VelvetRevolver27

• Sniper Assassin
  • Where do we go now???
VR needs a songwriter more than anything; Scotts voice may have not been the greatest, but he could write some powerful lyrics.

That's my main reason for wanting Izzy back, the guy writes some heavy lyrics.

Scotts lyrics on Contraband were much better on Contraband than Libertad...There are many who dont think he put forth a solid effort on the Libertad lyrics.

I don't know weither he put a consious effort into Libertad or not but I think lyric wicse Contraband is a stronger album.... I hope Izzy tries out1

Offline linkster

• Pea Gun Newbie
All i feel from this way of doing things is how badly Scott is laughing.
Which Scott is laughing,the one that regets being an addict or the one who likes it ,poor s.o.b.anyway if it sells his book and ,or solo album,oh thats right he is not into self promotion ...What a load ...Hes bi polar  How about someone more bluesy say RON YOUNG OF LITTLE CAESAR

Offline about_nothing

• Gunslinger
I always found Scott a little hit and miss with lyrics. He has written some brilliant ones, but when he misses the mark he misses it by miles - I mean, can anyone tell me what "...come on motherfucker and deliver the cow" is supposed to mean?  :?

alot of singers have random lyrics, to him it might mean something but to us we have no idea

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
I like random lyrics. In some ways I think it's better to have something you have to think about to try and understand rather than something where it's spelled out for you, it makes it more interesting and stops the song getting boring.

Also it's just fun to see what people can come up with.

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin
I like random lyrics. In some ways I think it's better to have something you have to think about to try and understand rather than something where it's spelled out for you, it makes it more interesting and stops the song getting boring.

i guess so :?

but some people like to be able to relate to a song's lyrics and make it personal to them; and unless you work for a dairy company or butcher factory, I don't know how come on motherfuckers and deliver the cow could be so.....

just speculation but this could be why VR wasnt as big "commercially" as their pedigree suggests they could have or should have been........

and I think part of the reason GnR was so succesful.....Ax's a friggin lyrical genius and will always have that edge

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
but some people like to be able to relate to a song's lyrics and make it personal to them; and unless you work for a dairy company or butcher factory, I don't know how come on motherfuckers and deliver the cow could be so.....
For me it's always been the emotion of the song, rather than the specifics that I find I can relate to.

Take Fall To Pieces for example: I've never been in a danger of losing my family and career to drug addiction, and I hope I never will so I can't claim to relate to the lyrics directly, but the emotion behind the lyrics - that feeling of being hopelessly lost and not knowing what to do about it - almost everyone will have times when they'll feel like that.

Also I don't know that Axl's brilliant lyrics nessesarily had much to do with GNR being so sucsessful, as absurd as that sounds, because so many people seem to have completely misunderstood them. To this day the majority of people probably believe Mr Brownstone is about how cool it is to do drugs, and November Rain is a very popular wedding song in spite of the fact that it's about divorce.

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin
For me it's always been the emotion of the song, rather than the specifics that I find I can relate to.

Take Fall To Pieces for example: I've never been in a danger of losing my family and career to drug addiction, and I hope I never will so I can't claim to relate to the lyrics directly, but the emotion behind the lyrics - that feeling of being hopelessly lost and not knowing what to do about it - almost everyone will have times when they'll feel like that.

Also I don't know that Axl's brilliant lyrics nessesarily had much to do with GNR being so sucsessful, as absurd as that sounds, because so many people seem to have completely misunderstood them. To this day the majority of people probably believe Mr Brownstone is about how cool it is to do drugs, and November Rain is a very popular wedding song in spite of the fact that it's about divorce.

Regarding FTP; hence my point, people can relate to the pain and it was one of their more popular songs........not saying it's better than others but people can somehow relate to it or understand what it's about........

not saying this is absoute; just speculation.............

one of my friends who went to a VR show loved the band; but just couldn stand scott's lyrics or mannerisms on stage/video's.......to quote"he looks and acts like a fu**ing Fa**ot"

Offline Loaded_Revolver

• Sniper Assassin
  • Bert Is Evil

Offline LeCoy

• Gunslinger
  • The King of Funk
How bout Bret Michaels?
Lol, I'm pretty sure the guys from Guns hate Poison and all that 80s hair stuff.

Offline dazedandconfused

• Straight Shooter

Yeah, but there is a fine line between 'random' and 'complete gibberish'. I like it when you have to think about lyrics as well, don't get me wrong; but in the end, isn't part of writing a song putting some sort of message across, whether it be about partying, political views, love, what you did yesterday or anything else? Surely to do that the song has to make a vague amount of sense and mean at least something to someone - and although people on here agree (and I am one of them) that tapeworm abortions and delivering cows are brilliantly off the wall ideas, no one has offered me an explanation of their meaning. In the end what is the point of a lyric so abstract that no one except the writer knows what it means?

I don't dislike Scott as a lyricist - as I said, he has written great lyrics. I just think he has his rubbish moments as well.

Offline bettyco

• Straight Shooter
    • http://velvet-revolver.webcindario.com
Anybody Knows what's the website to audition sinnger?

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict

and I think part of the reason GnR was so succesful.....Ax's a friggin lyrical genius and will always have that edge

yea I was thinking about this too.  GNR were a dangerous band because of Axl, and how insane he could get sometimes.  I think that was sometimes half of the show in itself.   Even recently, Axl still lives up to that.  I saw them in 2006, and there was at least ten other entertaining things that happened on stage that had nothing to do with the songs lol

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
Ok  maybe I'm more the exception round here, although I know there are plently of people out there who will agree with me, but I like the off the wall lyrics that don't seem to make any sense. Whilst writing my last post in this topic I was listening to Opinion by Nirvana, which has a section that goes "congratulations you have won, it's a years subscription of bad puns and a make shift story of concern, now eat them up before it burns your opinions". Now what does that mean? Probably absolutely nothing.

Some of my other favourites are Foo Fighters 'This Is A Call' with "fingernails are pretty. fingernails are good" (which I know for a fact means nothing because Dave Grohl said so) and Duff's 'Beautiful Disease' with "ugly is so beautiful when you hit it with a stick"....I could keep going for a while but I'll leave it at that.

Only one of those songs that makes any sense is Beautiful Disease, and then only parts of it, but to me they're all great songs. Not understanding the lyrics doesn't prevent me from enjoying them and it doesn't prevent me from connecting to the emotion of the song either because that emotion is conveyed in how the lyrics are sung, and in the music, rather than being spelled out directly in the words. I'd pretty much assumed everyone was capable of hearing emotion in another persons voice without having to be told how they're feeling, but maybe I'm wrong.

The website isn't up yet, all we've heard is that they're going to be making one.

And incidentally GNR were originally called 'dangerous' because two people died during their performance at Monsters of Rock. Nothing to do with anything Axl, or anyone else in the band, said or did.

Offline LeCoy

• Gunslinger
  • The King of Funk
I think I may be one of the few that actually listen to the lyrics.  I usually think of the vocals as just another instrument, and don't listen to the words as much as I do the pitches and stuff.  Maybe that's why I love Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam so much, haha.

But I have listened to some lyrics of some songs, but never was really good at figuring out what they meant (I suck at poetry and stuff, lol).  The only lyrics I really understood was Cats in the Cradle, by Harry Chapin.

So yeah, lyrics aren't a big issue for me, unless they are really dumb, like those emo songs.

Offline JoAbbey

• Target Practice
He has written some brilliant ones, but when he misses the mark he misses it by miles - I mean, can anyone tell me what "...come on motherfucker and deliver the cow" is supposed to mean?  :?

I don't know what it means and I don't understand it, but still, it is one of my favorite lines ever :)

Along with 'somebody raped my tapeworm abortion...' definitely a lyric written under the influence!!! I love the lyrics in Sucker Train Blues though cos they're so random.

Offline dazedandconfused

• Straight Shooter
Ok  maybe I'm more the exception round here, although I know there are plently of people out there who will agree with me, but I like the off the wall lyrics that don't seem to make any sense. Whilst writing my last post in this topic I was listening to Opinion by Nirvana, which has a section that goes "congratulations you have won, it's a years subscription of bad puns and a make shift story of concern, now eat them up before it burns your opinions". Now what does that mean? Probably absolutely nothing.

Some of my other favourites are Foo Fighters 'This Is A Call' with "fingernails are pretty. fingernails are good" (which I know for a fact means nothing because Dave Grohl said so) and Duff's 'Beautiful Disease' with "ugly is so beautiful when you hit it with a stick"....I could keep going for a while but I'll leave it at that.

Only one of those songs that makes any sense is Beautiful Disease, and then only parts of it, but to me they're all great songs. Not understanding the lyrics doesn't prevent me from enjoying them and it doesn't prevent me from connecting to the emotion of the song either because that emotion is conveyed in how the lyrics are sung, and in the music, rather than being spelled out directly in the words. I'd pretty much assumed everyone was capable of hearing emotion in another persons voice without having to be told how they're feeling, but maybe I'm wrong.

The website isn't up yet, all we've heard is that they're going to be making one.

And incidentally GNR were originally called 'dangerous' because two people died during their performance at Monsters of Rock. Nothing to do with anything Axl, or anyone else in the band, said or did.

I didn't say that lyrics no one can understand don't make good songs - I said lyrics that no one can understand make bad lyrics. Sure, I can feel the emotion of a song through delivery of the words and the instruments and the general sound of the song. If no one could do that then instrumentals would be exceedingly pointless. Lyrics are not the be all and end all of greatness, and a lot of my favourite songs do not really make a lot of sense (Smells like Teen Spirit for example). What I am trying to say is that I think Scott has his dodgy moments as a lyricist, just as I think Kurt Cobain had his dodgy moments. That doesn't mean I don't think they are great songwriters who have written some killer tunes which convey raw emotion amazingly. What I am saying is, regarding communicating a specific message, they sometimes fall slightly short of the mark.

Offline Peebs

• Sniper Assassin
  • 5/17/08 Columbus OH!
I think I may be one of the few that actually listen to the lyrics.  I usually think of the vocals as just another instrument, and don't listen to the words as much as I do the pitches and stuff.  Maybe that's why I love Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam so much, haha.

But I have listened to some lyrics of some songs, but never was really good at figuring out what they meant (I suck at poetry and stuff, lol).  The only lyrics I really understood was Cats in the Cradle, by Harry Chapin.

So yeah, lyrics aren't a big issue for me, unless they are really dumb, like those emo songs.

I agree. Not everything in life needs a literal meaning. Not everything has to be black and white...grey and self interpretation is creative.
Since Wed I've had Summertime Rolls running through my head. Especially the part: "Yellow buttercup helicopters orange buttercat chasing after the crazy bee mad about somebody...I know."
Does it have a literal meaning? No.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Come on motherfucker and deliver the cow -- don't just keep giving me these little samples of what I want, just give me the whole fucking cow, no more teasers.

Honestly, I'd love to audition for the role of lead singer just to do it.  I'd write lyrics for VR--I'd write recipes.  Hell, I'd follow behind and fix the bus whenever it breaks down.

Just give me the link.

Offline vrfan1234

• Straight Shooter

This is totally off topic and probably shows how much I've been living in a cave (musically anyway, it's all just rock and roll to me), but what is emo and I think I've heard the term screamo or some other emo used before also?

Offline VFnR7777

• Gunslinger
  • Let It Roll
    • www.myspace.com/mikeganrude

This is totally off topic and probably shows how much I've been living in a cave (musically anyway, it's all just rock and roll to me), but what is emo and I think I've heard the term screamo or some other emo used before also?
emo is basically emo-tional music. but really it is whiney pussy vocals, drop c guitars, shitty lyrics about death and killing themselves and basically all around the opposite of rock n roll

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
I.e., emo is shit.

Not all rock n roll is great, but even bad rock is better than most anything else out there.