Author Topic: New Singer Discussion Thread (Cite Official Sources Only)  (Read 207796 times)

Offline JustAnotherTattoo

• Gunslinger
  • ... and I'm movin' on ...
    • MyWorld@MySpace
In my opinion it's like that:

they are "dating" and feeling comfortable with the unkown guy. but they want to take a step back (solo tour, finishing records and other stuff) and having a second "new" look on that singer. not to make the mistakes they might have done in 2009 when they changed their website.

I already tried to think about someone I can think of that fit to their discription but I have no fuckin' idea! "known" bands and "not unknown" singer doesn't not mean that it is very popular like in the first thought.

on the discussion about taylor:

he is a great singer. but he is having about 3 or 4 projects beside slipknot. and they are already announced for headlining some festivals in europe in summer. so I think it's not him!

on creed singer:

sorry, he's not the right guy. and they mentioned in 2004 at lowlands festival during an interview something about "not rock n roll bands" like "creed and nickelback and all that shit"... so that would be a wrong choose!

on chester... :

you mean bennington? from linkin park? no way! he is good but not a VR frontman!

Offline McMAN71

• Pea Gun Newbie
Ok here's my list,

1. Brent Smith- Would be awesome, and definately possible since Shinedown has become the Brent Smith band, and I'm not sure if the current lineup is as capable of making the same great music.  Brent may just want to goout on top. But he may not work for the same reasons that it diodn't work with Axl.

2. Kevin Matisyn- Not a name frequently mentioned, but I have this feeling. He hasn't done much since leaving Evans Blue, has a great voice and would definately fit the "younger and heavier" vibe being mentioned.

3. Travis Meeks- He's cleaned up a bit, can still sing and has been humbled .

4. Adam Lambert- If Queen hasn't already snatched this guy up, VR should.  Yeah, his own stuff sounds like he wants to be Cher, but he CAN rock.  If anyone remembers Freddy Mercury's solo record it was worth. Two sucked out loud as well.

Offline Limberly

• Staff
This should make everybody happy.   :roll:  This is the latest that Slash had to say about VR.

What happens is with Velvet Revolver, when we parted ways with Scott Weiland -- I was so frustrated because Scott was such a pain in the ass.  And I thought ya know I just wanna sorta have some quiet time and just write some music -- and then the idea of writing the solo record came out.  And in the mean time, no new singers for Velvet Revolver, that were really good enough for Velvet Revolver have popped up. So I just started working on the solo record and put it out and went on the road.  But the whole time very conscious of who was going to sing for Velvet Revolver -- but know one has turned up.  So in the mean time I just keep doing what it is that I do.

So ya know with Velvet Revolver, it's like Duffs got his own thing, I've got my thing, Matt's got his thing.  If a great singer comes and says I want to sing for Velvet Revolver and we all go yeah, we'll make a Velvet record.  But I can do my own thing -- I don't have to go back and do that.  Unless it's good enough to do it, you know what I mean.

So next year I definitely will make another Slash record with Myles Kennedy -- and go on tour.  So at least for the next couple of years nothing is going to be happening with Velvet Revolver -- that I can see because I'll be focused on this.  And after that's over if something happens -- I'm not really concerning myself with it right now.  We had all these different guys try out, all really good singers -- but nobody has fit the thing so, ya know, I have to move on.

[Regarding Corey Taylor] Because of the social networking, the way information gets out so quickly now.  We did work with Corey Taylor, as soon as that rumor, next thing you know everybody is saying Corey's the new singer.  All we were doing was just rehearsing with him, trying him out -- auditioning him so to speak.  So in order to do that, our process is we take a lot of music we wrote and we give it to him, and he writes his lyrics and he comes in and we just perform it and record it.  It's just an audition process.  So he did come in and do all that.  But I just wasn't -- it just didn't seem to fit right to me.  And he's great and I love Corey, but it didn't seem like the answer the Velvet Revolver problem.

Video interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwe_1L64S9A

Offline tntnoyes

• Straight Shooter
    • TN Youtube
This should make everybody happy.   :roll:  This is the latest that Slash had to say about VR.

What happens is with Velvet Revolver, when we parted ways with Scott Weiland -- I was so frustrated because Scott was such a pain in the ass.  And I thought ya know I just wanna sorta have some quiet time and just write some music -- and then the idea of writing the solo record came out.  And in the mean time, no new singers for Velvet Revolver, that were really good enough for Velvet Revolver have popped up. So I just started working on the solo record and put it out and went on the road.  But the whole time very conscious of who was going to sing for Velvet Revolver -- but know one has turned up.  So in the mean time I just keep doing what it is that I do.

So ya know with Velvet Revolver, it's like Duffs got his own thing, I've got my thing, Matt's got his thing.  If a great singer comes and says I want to sing for Velvet Revolver and we all go yeah, we'll make a Velvet record.  But I can do my own thing -- I don't have to go back and do that.  Unless it's good enough to do it, you know what I mean.

So next year I definitely will make another Slash record with Myles Kennedy -- and go on tour.  So at least for the next couple of years nothing is going to be happening with Velvet Revolver -- that I can see because I'll be focused on this.  And after that's over if something happens -- I'm not really concerning myself with it right now.  We had all these different guys try out, all really good singers -- but nobody has fit the thing so, ya know, I have to move on.

[Regarding Corey Taylor] Because of the social networking, the way information gets out so quickly now.  We did work with Corey Taylor, as soon as that rumor, next thing you know everybody is saying Corey's the new singer.  All we were doing was just rehearsing with him, trying him out -- auditioning him so to speak.  So in order to do that, our process is we take a lot of music we wrote and we give it to him, and he writes his lyrics and he comes in and we just perform it and record it.  It's just an audition process.  So he did come in and do all that.  But I just wasn't -- it just didn't seem to fit right to me.  And he's great and I love Corey, but it didn't seem like the answer the Velvet Revolver problem.

Video interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwe_1L64S9A
Man! I love this interview because he's just Damn honest. I'd rather hear that it could be years and if not...fuck it...than to hear a Month announced, and then nothing! Thanks for posting!

Offline Young Gun

• Pea Gun Newbie
Man! I love this interview because he's just Damn honest. I'd rather hear that it could be years and if not...fuck it...than to hear a Month announced, and then nothing! Thanks for posting!

Moreover, he looks really happy with what he does, especially as it looks much easier for him to do things his own way, not having to convince all the guys and not being bothered with management stuff.
And he sounds like the guys turned into a real new band from now on.
It's fine for me even if I'd rather like all musicians focused on one band.
But it seems that kind of self commitment doesn't exist anymore in the world of music.

Offline Sweet Dreams

• Gunslinger
I have mixed feelings about Slash"s latest comments. I loved VR and I'm sad that it will not be around. But it has become apparent that Slash and his new band have bonded. And the chemistry between him and Myles is undeniable.

Offline skitzocalypso

• Target Practice
Prediction:  Duff will start a new project with Corey and Matt, post-Slipknot and the new Loaded tour.  I could be very wrong.

Offline born2boogie

• Sniper Assassin
  • I MISS VR
    • Poetry Forum
hum, at least he is honest about it! hope that he will add a few more VR songs into the set list maybe some songs that haven't been done live before?

*deep sigh*  :(  but as they say.. the show must go on  ;)

Offline ddsim2003

• Straight Shooter
  • Go too far, then you will know how far you can go.
    • David Sean Simpson's VR audition page
Album is done !  .....only took 2 years ;/

http://www.myspace.com/davidseansimpson

if anyone digs the songs  ... say so !  thx :)  DSS