Author Topic: Which guitar should I get first?  (Read 6924 times)

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-Player-s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-511597-i1147164.gc
I like this guitar.
It has a whammy bar. I really like Whammy bars. The sounds they can create. And i like the look of it
Or The Slash Sig guitar. Epiphone version.
I LOVE this guitar but it doesnt have a whammy bar. I dont need one. If this helps. The stuff id rather play (when im good) is bluesy stuff. The people who inspired me to play are Buddy Guy, Slash, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Billy Corgan, Billy Gibbons, John Frusciate, Nuno Bettencourt, Eddie Van Halen. Eric Clapton, Dean Deleo

Which one is better. And when i get one it wont be for awhile. When i get good.

Thanks

Edit- This is going to be my FIRST guitar. Im currently learning on my brothers guitars. Once i get good i will get my own. So its not like im just going off to buy an expensive guitar.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 04:37:20 PM by aerosmith513 »

Offline DocLovett

• Gunslinger
  • booze and pills and powders...
    • Mojo Gurus
Why wait so long, you can get a Squier strat for under 200 bucks, or an Epiphone for a comparable price, then you can upgrade when you "get good" as you put it...owning your own guitar will make it easier, you can practice whenever you want. And don't ask us which you should get, you'll get as many different opinions as there are players here...I'd say get one of each.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
You should keep in mind that you cannot play a guitar like that with a whammy bar like EVH or Dimebag Darrell. If that's what you mean you want to be able to do; create crazy harmonics, dive bombs etc, a Fender trem won't cut it, you need something with a locking bar, such as a Floyd Rose or a Kahler.

Keep that in mind.

Offline DocLovett

• Gunslinger
    • Mojo Gurus
You should keep in mind that you cannot play a guitar like that with a whammy bar like EVH or Dimebag Darrell. If that's what you mean you want to be able to do; create crazy harmonics, dive bombs etc, a Fender trem won't cut it, you need something with a locking bar, such as a Floyd Rose or a Kahler.

Keep that in mind.

Young brother, with my 78 stock Fender I was able to do anything...an upper level Fender, such as the one in his link, properly set up, will do any of those things...the Floyd Rose propaganda is a myth, it's all in the set up...you've surely heard Jeff Beck play 5 and 6 note melodic runs by hitting a harmonic and manipulating the bar, that's all on a Fender trem.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Well yes, HOWEVER, I would very much like to see a video of you pulling out a Dime/EVH harmonic on a Fender. Those stock trems do not go backwards very well.

Offline DocLovett

• Gunslinger
    • Mojo Gurus
Well yes, HOWEVER, I would very much like to see a video of you pulling out a Dime/EVH harmonic on a Fender. Those stock trems do not go backwards very well.

Yes they do, if they're set up properly...believe me bro, I have owned MANY strats, and I set 'em up right, so I can get a full step or better up and down to infinity...with a full step of up-pull you can DEFINITELY get that EVH/Dime thang, you depress the bar a little, hit the harmonic, and pull up past the starting point...trust me

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Maybe you should send me a strat so I stop ruining trem cavities... :lol:

Offline DocLovett

• Gunslinger
    • Mojo Gurus

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I've jacked up more n' a few strats...

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
Why wait so long, you can get a Squier strat for under 200 bucks, or an Epiphone for a comparable price, then you can upgrade when you "get good" as you put it...owning your own guitar will make it easier, you can practice whenever you want. And don't ask us which you should get, you'll get as many different opinions as there are players here...I'd say get one of each.
because why waist the money. My brother has a really good Les Paul Studio. A nice acustic guitar (forget the name). I can just play those.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
i think i should get Slash Epiphone. And wait on the Fender. My brothers building one. A Jazzmaster. Im gonna go look at other guitars though. Right now actually.

Offline VFnR7777

• Gunslinger
  • Let It Roll
    • www.myspace.com/mikeganrude
not a big fan of the fenders, and epiphones are pretty damn nice for the money. if you like the whammy bar go with the OLP mm1, its cheap and kick ass and it is based off of eddie van halen's wolfgang.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin

Offline wangmaster

• Gunslinger
  • I Don't Like Mondays.
Those stock trems do not go backwards very well.

agreed.

BUT

its fender so its awesome by default.