Author Topic: Must see movies in 2008?  (Read 9081 times)

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
I have quite a large list at the moment...

Cloverfield
J.J. Abrams of Lost and Alias fame brings us this monster movie told from the point of view of a group of people attempting to escape the destruction wreaked by the giant monster attacking the city.  Think of Godzilla crossed with Steven Spielberg's remake of War Of The Worlds crossed with the handheld camera, first-person view from The Blair Witch Project.

Jumper
Star Wars' Hayden Christensen finds out that he has the power to teleport (or "jump" as it's called in this movie).  Samuel L. Jackson is a bounty hunter who kills the jumpers.  The OC's Rachel Bilson is the love interest.  Looks set to be an action-packed movie with a whole lot of promise.

The Other Boleyn Girl
The usually untold story of Henry VIII's relationship with Mary Boleyn, before he ever set his sights on marrying her sister, Anne.  Stars Eric Bana as Henry, Natalie Portman as Anne and Scarlet Johannsen as Mary.

10,000 BC
It's a movie about cavemen... enough said.

The Forbidden Kingdom
Two of the world's biggest action stars finally star in a movie together... Jet Li and Jackie Chan star with choreography by the equally legendary Yuen Woo Ping.

Iron Man
Robert Downey Jr. stars as Tony Stark, billionnaire arms manufacturer with shrapnel close enough to his heart that it will kill him instantly if it moves.  So naturally, he makes a suit of armour and starts fighting crime.  Ridiculous, but it is based on a comic book.

Speed Racer
Classic children's anime given the big budget family movie treatment by the Wachowski Brothers, creators of The Matrix trilogy.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Need I say more?  Harrison Ford returns in his (second) best role as archaeologist Henry "Indiana" Jones, Jr.  With the threat of the Nazi's gone, Dr. Jones now has to tackle the Soviet Union in a race to find a sacred artifact with some strange powers.  Not much has been revealed about the plot other than that, but joining Harrison Ford is a cast including Shia LaBeouf (Transformers), Cate Blanchett, Ray Winstone and Karen Allen who is returning as Indy's first leading lady, Marion Ravenwood.

The Incredible Hulk
Edward Norton takes Eric Bana's role as Bruce Banner (aka The Hulk), and Liv Tyler and William Hurt join him.

Wanted
Based on a comic book series published by Top Cow, Wanted tells the story of a man in an ordinary office job (James McAvoy) who finds out that his father was the greatest assassin that ever lived and that he is to take his place.  There to act as his mentors and teammates are Morgan Freeman and Angelina Jolie.  Looks like it's going to be a huge slice of non-stop action and fun.  Some of the action scenes shown in the trailer look unbelievable.  Oh, and it's directed by Timur Bekmambetov... the man behind the Russian horror/action movies Night Watch and Day Watch.

Hancock
Will Smith plays an alcoholic superhero who everyone hates.  Jason Bateman plays the PR man who he hires to restore his public image.  Charlize Theron plays the PR man's beautiful wife who Will Smith promptly falls in love with.  Safe to say that this superhero movie won't be taking itself seriously.

Hellboy II - The Golden Army
If you liked the original Hellboy, this one looks like it's going to be much more of the same.

The Dark Knight
Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman all return to the sequel to 2005's Batman Begins.  Batman and Lieutenant Gordon have struck up a partnership to help rid the streets of Gotham of crime.  Heath Ledger's Joker turns up and starts a spree of violence around the city.  Aaron Eckhart plays Gotham's new DA, Harvey Dent (who will at some point in the movie become Two-Face)... and thankfully, the weakest link of Batman Begins (Katie Holmes) has been replaced by the much much better actress, Maggie Gyllenhaal.

The X-Files
Don't need to know anything about the story for this movie... all that matters is that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will finally be returning as Fox Mulder and Dana Scully to tackle paranormal cases.  I've been waiting for this since the show ended in 2002.

The Mummy - Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor
The first one was great, the second one was ok, the spin-off of the second one (The Scorpion King) was complete and utter shit... and yes, this one will probably be complete and utter shit, too.  But Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh have a fight... so I'll have to watch it regardless.

James Bond
It doesn't have a title yet, and no one actually knows anything about it.  But the new Bond movie is always a must-watch... stars Daniel Craig and the absolutely gorgeous Olga Kurylenko.

Star Trek
A prequel to the original TV series, some of the cast decisions I'm highly skeptical of... but JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof have made one genius move in the casting, and that is Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) as a young Spock, with Leonard Nimoy reprising the role as the older Spock (so a time travelling element seems likely).  However, Simon Pegg as Scott, Karl Urban as McCoy and John Cho as Sulu are some peculiar casting choices.

Offline Jameslofton29

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Riding On Any Wave...
    • GNR Evolution
Not interested in Cloverfield, but I'm taking someone to see it Friday so I pray it doesn't suck. The hype surrounding that film was a bit of a turnoff. I gotta go see Juno before it leaves theaters. Looking forward to the Friday the 13th remake, but it will likely get pushed back to 09. Also cant wait to see An American Crime. Although it wont come to US theaters, Chan Wook Park's Evil Live is probably my most anticipated film this year The X Files movie has potential.

Offline jack_lives_here

• Sniper Assassin
  • I got some genuine imitation bad apples...
Yeah looking forward to Dark Knight, especially since that wooden 'hacktress' Katie Holmes has been dumped. Maggie Gyllenhaal can actually act! Hopefully the script is a solid as Batman Begins.

Offline scottyh

• Golden god!
  • Global Moderator
  • While my guitar gently weeps...
Cloverfield is only 73 minutes long (85 if you count the 12 minutes of credits), so there's no way in hell I'm paying 10 bucks to see that in theaters. That's ridiculously short.

Offline simba317

• Sniper Assassin
  • I heart Slash, Romyness and me twin!
    • My deviantArt Account
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Forbidden Kingdom because I totally grew up on that story, The Journey to the West. There used to be picture books in this Chinese Library in the Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre and I made my mom take out all the different chapters for the story...and she had to read me the Taiwan edition, the Hong Kong edition and the mainland one as well...lol...and each edition had like 10 plus books...the story was more or less the same, but the Art was very different.

Oh and Marvel has their own film studio now...so they're going to be pumping out even MORE films on us. I believe Iron Man is the first on their own studio...either that or it's supposed to be some project on Captain America.

Thank God Katie Holmes is gone from Batman!

Speedracer just looks really bad...from the trailers and stuff. Just very camp looking.

I can't wait to see the Indiana Jones movie. I'm so glad that Marion Ravenwood is in it. Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite.

~simba_317

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Theres only 2 films I want to see this year.....

INDIANA JONES and RAMBO!!!

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Theres only 2 films I want to see this year.....

INDIANA JONES and RAMBO!!!

:beer:

I've heard good things about Sweeney Todd...haven't decided if I'm gonna spend money on it yet though...

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Cloverfield is only 73 minutes long (85 if you count the 12 minutes of credits), so there's no way in hell I'm paying 10 bucks to see that in theaters. That's ridiculously short.

I saw it tonight....

Hmmm....

Thats all I can say!! Hmm!!!!!

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
I've heard good things about Sweeney Todd...haven't decided if I'm gonna spend money on it yet though...

Spend money on it.  Spend as much as you can on it.  I've seen it two weekends in a row, and this weekend will be my third.  I'm not usually a big fan of musicals, but Sweeney Todd is amazing.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots

Spend money on it.  Spend as much as you can on it.  I've seen it two weekends in a row, and this weekend will be my third.  I'm not usually a big fan of musicals, but Sweeney Todd is amazing.

Yeah I've noticed you seem to be enjoying it  :D

Offline teegs

• Target Practice
Sweeney Todd is amazing!! already seen it twice  :D

Offline jack_lives_here

• Sniper Assassin
  • I got some genuine imitation bad apples...
sounds like teegs has a little case of bloodlust... great to see!  :D

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
Oh I have to see Sweeney Todd :D

Offline reallyhere

• Pea Gun Newbie
Cannot wait for the Dark Knight .. also, saw the trailer for the new Indiana Jones film .. looks alright, but the trailer won me over after hearing the original theme song playing in the background  :D

Offline bijan

• Sniper Assassin
  • Thrashin's My Business And Business Is Good!
YER! The new Indiana Jones film look really good! Cannot Wait!

Offline SnakeEyes

• Sniper Assassin
The new Rolling Stones movie (Directed by Martin Scorcsesi or however the fuck you spell it) looks awesome, it has Jack White and Buddy Guy as guests in it. It's out in cinemas something like April 1st?

Offline dazedandconfused

• Straight Shooter
The other Boleyn Girl was a bit rubbish.

Well, to be fair I only went to see it because it was filmed all round where I live (one of the large houses is pretty much next to my school. another is a five minute drive from my house.) i think most of it was filmed in kent actually, not sure though. Anyway, aside from the place spotting there was not much interesting about the film.

Offline peebop

• Straight Shooter

The Mummy - Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor
The first one was great, the second one was ok, the spin-off of the second one (The Scorpion King) was complete and utter shit... and yes, this one will probably be complete and utter shit, too.  But Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh have a fight... so I'll have to watch it regardless.

has it still got Rachel weiz (can't spell)  in it???

Offline Dutchizzy

• Sniper Assassin
    • red
For those who like 'Cloverfield', go check out 'REC' which is similar / or same type only much and much better. It's Spanish but hey there are subtitles out there :wink:

There's also a US version of 'REC' coming out in October called 'Quarantine'.

Offline Chili

• Sniper Assassin

See it.  ;)

Offline peebop

• Straight Shooter

See it.  ;)

seconded!

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
just watched RAMBO.... AWESOME

Offline Lady Contraband

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • We've been dancing with Mr. Brownstone...
Mirrors, with Kiefer Sutherland, and Lost Boys: the tribe. Not gonna describe these! Dont wanna give a spolier!

Offline cos78

• Straight Shooter
  • Devil's Child
I would like to see Hellboy II it looks very interesting :cheers:

Offline peebop

• Straight Shooter
Mirrors

I can confirm.. it is the dogs bollocks