Author Topic: ???  (Read 10512 times)

Offline Spidervein

• Sniper Assassin
besides Axl doing some vocals on Bach's album
whats up with GNR??? anything???

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Bach's recorded on the new GN'R record... Bumblefoot's currently recording a new solo album... Tommy was touring with Soul Asylum again a while ago (dunno if the tour's still going)... Frank's started playing in the new version of the band, Pisser (a band he used to be in with Richard Fortus, and includes their bandmate from Honky Toast - Eric J. Toast - as singer)... and the album's apparently been handed in to Geffen, who are now arguing with Axl over the best way to promote it... the first part at least has been confirmed by Mysteron on HTGTH (probably the closest thing to an insider there is, though he's been wrong before).

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Im certain it will come out this year because now it defies all logic to hold it longer.

Was i certain last year? yes. The year before? Yup...

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
People have actually made some pretty strong arguments about why Geffen might choose not to release it.  That being that CD's aren't selling as well as they were when they first pumped all of that money into its recording, and in the current musical climate it'd be impossible for the album to be profitable, so they'll instead concentrate their efforts on other things that they're sure will make the money back.
Eddie Trunk has heard that Geffen are trying to sell the rights to release the record, but no one's buying.  Not exactly an inside source, but Eddie usually knows what he's talking about.

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Surely poor sales are better than no sales at all?

I recon Geffen are underestimately how popular this record will be. Surely libertad sold a couple of million right? CD is so much bigger than Libertad.

Offline Just_Me

I don't think Libertad had even gone platinum when people stopped posting sales figures. Which is silly because it's a fantastic album, but there you go.

I do have to agree that it'd make more sense for them to put it out though. At the moment if they don't release it they loose $13 million, end of story. If they put it out then yes they'll have to pay more to have copies printed and sent out but relatively speaking it won't be that much money and they should make at least some of that back. I doubt they'll ever see a profit on it, but it would reduce the loss.

I could understand if they didn't want to do a massive advertising campain for it, because then they would be in danger of loosing more money, but I suspect they'll get a lot of free marketing for it anyway just from magazines running stories and reviews and word of mouth. Esspecially if the band goes out on tour again.
Alternatively it wouldn't suprise me if Axl decided to pay for advertising himself if Geffen refused. He's already paid for the last 4 years of recording.

I'd be very, very suprised if we never get to hear it though. If Geffen do refuse to put it out I suspect Axl will find some way to get out of his contact with them and then release it himself. I'm pretty sure it's actually his company, Black Frog, that holds the rights to it anyway and Axl is not going to have put all this work into it just to give up at the last minute when he's finally decided it's ready.

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
the release of the greatest hits would have made millions back for geffen.

Offline Just_Me

Thats true, but are they going to treat that as compensation for CD or as a seperate thing that has nothing to do with it?

Before the Greatest Hits came out Geffen had made an estimated $80 million from GNR, and obviously it's gone up since then. But they could be insisting on looking at each album individually rather than treating the whole back catalogue as one thing. If only because it'd justify making Axl pay for marketing or something.

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
i think they used the threat of a greatest hits to try an make axl finish CD, which didn't work, so they released it to make back money they'd spent on the new album.

Offline stone_roses

• Gunslinger
With how lousy cd sales are look at it this way

Samashing Pumpkins new disk-- was a hit and a hit tour didnt even go gold
Lifehouse-Two top 20 hits didnt go gold,
Puddle Of Mudd-a number one hit and a top 5 hit didnt even go gold..

the cd market is a bust right now, with people bootlegging music so much, and the fact is bands and labels are all losing money

i know it is a horrid thing,but they mite shelf the album till the market is doing better...

Offline duffydack

• Straight Shooter
    • Duff Fans Forum
they should like ask everyone who wants to buy it to put down a deposit and see how many people wanna buy it, then if there is enough revenue to be made they might say to axl get your chinese finger out of your a..
dumb idea i know, im full of em

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
very dumb considering the record company have the album now, axl's done his part.

Offline duffydack

• Straight Shooter
    • Duff Fans Forum
i wasnt actually serious, just throwin stuff "out there"

whose word do you have that the album is done.  tbh ive not been keepin up on C.D events since the last let down.. too many lies and rumours have killed most my interest.

Offline perfect_spy

• Target Practice
If all bands on releasing an album put on something like 15 to 16 songs then most people would buy it. VR, QotSA and Jack Johnson do this. If others followed suit then the Cd market wouldn't be down. Bringing out ten songs would allow people to just illegally download it. With 15-16 songs they would most probably buy it thinking what a great bargain it is. There could be a few live edtion songs from previous albums, in short the Cd has to give an incentive.

Offline duffydack

• Straight Shooter
    • Duff Fans Forum
price is an issue.  the profit on 1 cd is ludicrous.  but thats a whole other topic (who gets the majority of it and who doesnt/should)

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
I'm hoping Axl will find a way to get out of the contract, and then do a Radiohead and put it online for a couple of months for people to pay what they want for it while he negotiates a deal to get the album released with other people.  Not another recording contract... just a distribution deal.

Offline scottyh

• Golden god!
  • Global Moderator
  • While my guitar gently weeps...
With how lousy cd sales are look at it this way

Samashing Pumpkins new disk-- was a hit and a hit tour didnt even go gold
Lifehouse-Two top 20 hits didnt go gold,
Puddle Of Mudd-a number one hit and a top 5 hit didnt even go gold..

I'm sorry, but those are three terrible examples. The Smashing Pumpkins record had one hit, and then a bunch of negative reviews to contend with. The tour did will, so they made money off of that. Lifehouse and Puddle of Mudd never broke any sales records in the first place with previous albums, nor were their records expected to do much. I think those two especially were about on par with expectations. There are records out there that are performing well (Radiohead, Foo Fighters, The Killers, etc.)

Like AxlReznor said, throw the album out online a la Radiohead, let it build word of mouth, people will still come back to buy it. 2.4 million people got the Radiohead album when it was available online. They're on pace to pass the Gold mark in the U.S. after just 3 weeks on the charts after In Rainbows was released as an actual physical album. That's with limited radio play, btw.

Offline Vietnow138

• Straight Shooter
The new Eagles album already went 7x platnuim and it has only been out for about 3 months, and like scottyh  said thats not the only album selling well right now

Offline Just_Me

If all bands on releasing an album put on something like 15 to 16 songs then most people would buy it. VR, QotSA and Jack Johnson do this. If others followed suit then the Cd market wouldn't be down. Bringing out ten songs would allow people to just illegally download it. With 15-16 songs they would most probably buy it thinking what a great bargain it is. There could be a few live edtion songs from previous albums, in short the Cd has to give an incentive.
I'm not convinced that it really makes that much difference. Casual fans are rarely interested in that sort of thing and the more hardcore fans who would be are likely to already know where to get all that sort of stuff for free online, and are likely to be buying the CD anyway so it won't make any diffrence.

For example I've got Oasis and Reel Big Fish albums with bonus DVD's I've never watched, even the videos that came with Libertad I've watched maybe once or twice at most.
I think the only album I bought where the bonus content was worthwhile was Thank You by STP and that's largely because they never got very popular over here so it's the only way I'd get to see most their videos.

Offline jmapelian

• Sniper Assassin
It really makes absolutely no sense not to release when they have so much money invested.  They may not make it all back on the first album but aren't there 3 albums worth of material? So you release one each year for the next 3 years and tour the shit out of the album and hope for the best.  Better to get some return on the investment than nothing right?

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby
Hows about this, they dont release the album.........until the original band gets together and tours, i bet it would sell like hot cakes then!! :o

Offline duffydack

• Straight Shooter
    • Duff Fans Forum
heard on kerrang radio that the album was finished well before xmas but they are thinkin about releasing in a different way..... 
then the guy who is sayin all this says "maybe like radiohead where the fans decide what price to put on it or something."

Just release the damn thing, hasnt it been long enough already

Offline seely

• Straight Shooter

whats up with GNR??? anything???

Well thats the million pound question!!!!

Offline HEKSEN

• Straight Shooter
  • Hard Rocker
    • HEKSEN ROCK HOUSE
I've heard "Angel Down".

About "BAck in the Saddle"...
put two cats in an bag... and shake it!

That's how it sounds.