Author Topic: 2008-02-05 - Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA, USA  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Rocker Mama

• Straight Shooter
  • Slash Rocks!
    • Yamaha Mama
Got my tics!  Who's going?

Offline Libertard

• Pea Gun Newbie
I'm there!

"An evening with Velvet Revolver" - this means no opening act, right?

Offline luvnduff

• Target Practice
I'll be there...not sure about the opening act. Sick Puppies opened for them in Trenton and they had no opening act on NYE.

Offline movininstereo

• Pea Gun Newbie
general admission floor tix are still available
and yet there are no reserved upstairs availabel when I try tm.com
It's the opposite of what normally happens...maybe cause it's a weeknight people will arrive after work and want a seat  :eek:

Like last year at Warfield (and 2004), this show was announced less than a month before the concert date, which generally means no poster when we leave the venue  :(

Offline luvnduff

• Target Practice
I've never been here. Any tips. I have GA but am doing the meet and greet before.

Offline Rocker Mama

• Straight Shooter
  • Slash Rocks!
    • Yamaha Mama
I've never been here. Any tips. I have GA but am doing the meet and greet before.

Hey, hubby & I are doing the M&G too!  Will see you there!

Offline MrTootles

• Pea Gun Newbie
Just got back from this, and I gotta say, a lackluster show.

I've seen VR 3 times in the past, and STP 4 times before that, and this one didn't compare to any of them. Scott - and I mean this in the most platonic way - didnt take off his shirt one time during the show. Normally, as we all know, he gets so into it that he's normally half naked by the 3rd song, but alas, tonight was not the case.

Granted, he admitted to having a shitty voice about halfway through, but that didn't kill our disappointment to not seeing Wish You Were Here or Patience, the latter of which I was REALLY looking forward to. Makes me wish I didn't read the setlists so I didnt get my hopes up, you know? But it was obvious, at least to us, that something was off, and him apparently having a cold confirmed it.

That being said, the crowd didnt seem that into it at all; I dont remember seeing one crowd surfer in the pit, which, I mean, seems like a pre-requisute, no? If you were in the GA area it was probably a blessing, but watching from the lower balcoiny? Eh.

I dunno... I was just pretty disappointed with the concert, and was- dare I say - bored during some songs. I remember that the last time they played here I was left with a lots of memorable moments, but this time those were few and far between.

Then again, I was drinking all night, so maybe my perspective was skewed and my expectations too high, but it felt like half the setlist was cut. Or at least the spark wasn't there.

Edit: After sleeping on this, I think it was more a combination of a lazy crowd, the fact that I've seen almost the entire setlist before, and that Scott - as was mentioned below - seemed a little fucked up. I was probably expecting too much, cause for the most part I was thinking, you know, show me something new guys. And they didn't play Patience *grumblegrumble*
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:10:25 AM by MrTootles »

Offline cos78

• Straight Shooter
  • Devil's Child

Offline movininstereo

• Pea Gun Newbie
First off, thanks to zjt228 for giving us the Detroit set list. I couldn't have kept track tonight with out it.

They came on ~8:50 PM
It was Duff's birthday, he got a cake.
Same set as Detroit except:
Instead of Superhuman we got Just Sixteen, which was great.
They dropped Patience all together (fine with me) as well as Wish You Were Here.

Scott was smoking cigs from the get go. At one point he told us his voice is fucked up but he's gonna keep singing anyway. He took a spill some where in the middle of the set (maybe Last Fight or She Builds). It was pretty funny from my vantage point. He recovered pretty quickly. Just fell over the speakers on the floor that face the boys (monitors?). I couldn't see the whole thing from the 2nd tier of the floor.
The show was over no later than 10:30 PM.
Had a great time. Really glad we got Just Sixteen and American Man. And we got Interstate Love Song (although Scott was sorta hurting during this point in the show. He was fucked up IMO)
Lots of energy from Scott all night though.
Duff and Matt sound great on back up vocals. Scott sounds good doing Axl.
All in all had a great time.
Thank you Boys...

1. Let It Roll
2. She Mine
3. Sucker Train Blues
4. Do It For the Kids
5. Just Sixteen
6. Big Machine
7. American Man
8. Vasoline
9. The Last Fight
10. Interstate Love Song
12. She Builds Quick Machines
13. Get Out the Door
14. Fall to Pieces
15. It's So Easy
16. Blues Jam (sounded like something off of Zeppelin I to me)
17. Set Me Free
19. Mr. Brownstone
20. Sex Type Thing
21. Slither

Offline zjt228

• Target Practice
Lucky!  I'm glad "Just Sixteen" is back in the set.  And you're welcome for the set! 

Offline Thin Izzy

• Pea Gun Newbie
Ive seen them their before, and this show was still great! Yeah, Scott seemed a bit fucked up, but it didnt hurt the show at all. I was about 4th row standing (pit), and lemme say, THIS CROWD SUCKED! Worst crowd I have ever seen. Im only 16, but I was getting into the show and only three people around were raising their fists and rockin out. No pushing, NOTHING. If youre going to be in the PIT, dont look at us crosseyed when we get into it. There are seats for a reason. Otherwise, great show and hope they come back! And btw, Slash threw his pick at the end, I jumped up and had it IN MY HAND! but if fell out and someone else recovered it on the floor :(

Offline movininstereo

• Pea Gun Newbie
During Brownstone, Scott grabbed Dave's baseball cap and was smakin him in the butt.
This gave us our first noticeable smile/laugh from Scott. It was good to see him that way.
When Scott put the hat back on Dave, he just took it off, told the crew it was too wet  :P
And that produced a smiling Dave as well.

One thing I noticed is no backing vocals on Just Sixteen. I thought they did last year?
If it was provided, Scott might not have to go all out. He wasn't quite the same after that one. But it was kick ass and I'm glad they put it back in. Who knows maybe they read these posts.

It looked like they were about to set up for an acoustic song (Patience) but they went straight into She Builds.

Great smelling bud throughout the show, which perhaps explains your observation of crowd apathy, Thin Izzy ;)

Scott, smoke pot instead those nasty cigs.....add an acoustic version of Mary Mary 8) Slow it down and it would kick ass....like 'Too Cool Queenie'. You could do 'And So I Know' in slow acoustic style as well. Stay healthy and have a good summer.

I think England's going to like this show :thumbsup:

Offline cablecargirl

• Unloaded
Went to the show at the Warfield and watched Scott's fall right in front of me in the pit, his falling over speakers, his impromtu diddy, his slurred performance. 
It was not a fun show.  I love VR and it really meant a lot to spend that money on tickets. 
Then, after Duff's cake, someone on the stage threw a full Gatorade bottle which hit me. Did anyone else see that happen?

My friend was going to the San Diego concert but not now.
Guess I'll stick w/ listening to them and not seeing them!

Offline Libertard

• Pea Gun Newbie
Went to the show at the Warfield and watched Scott's fall right in front of me in the pit, his falling over speakers, his impromtu diddy, his slurred performance. 
It was not a fun show.  I love VR and it really meant a lot to spend that money on tickets. 
Then, after Duff's cake, someone on the stage threw a full Gatorade bottle which hit me. Did anyone else see that happen?

I agree  That stuff Scott was doing during Slash's solo was so lame, I felt embarrassed just watching it.  I saw Slash look side stage and make a 'cut' motion, I don't know if he told them to cut Scott's mic or what.   

Offline hawk900

• Straight Shooter
  • I'm so Easy Easy!!!
 What was SW doing/saying??????  Why are people throwing things?????  What's this world come to?
Hawk,.

Offline movininstereo

• Pea Gun Newbie
Sad news indeed.

I only remember Slash during the Zep solo. Didn't notice Scott acting strange. I thought Sex Type Thing had a new interlude in it, which I liked.

Did anyone else see that happen?
Yeah I saw that come from stage right. It was a full and uncapped bottle. Was it a direct hit? Must have hurt. Toughed it out though to witness the rest of the calamity?

Offline cablecargirl

• Unloaded
Yeah I saw that come from stage right. It was a full and uncapped bottle. Was it a direct hit? Must have hurt. Toughed it out though to witness the rest of the calamity?

movininstereo,
Yeah, it was direct.  Can you e-mail me back?  I'm curious to find out what happened.  Thanks. :)