Author Topic: 2007-12-29 - Sovereign Bank Arena, Trenton, NJ, USA  (Read 47258 times)

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Firebirds don't come with those types on them, and only one model comes with a tremelo at all.

According to Daniel Lanois, that Firebird whammy is REALLY good though... Seems like Slash has replaced the pickups as well, so the change is probably mostly aesthetic - in my opinion a good one at that.

Well, the Firebird studio comes with humbuckers, so I imagine Slash had his Seymour Duncans put in. That's MUCH more than asthetic. That's part of his sound.

The regular Firebird whammy bar only comes on the Firebird VII, which has 3 minihumbuckers, which you can't alter to hold 2 full size hums. That's probably a studio done with a Floyd Rose whammy bar, which is locking at the bridge and at the nut, making sure that the strings don't go out of tune with big divebombs. It's the same whammy bar as the BC Rich Mockingbird he used to use.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Well, the Firebird studio comes with humbuckers, so I imagine Slash had his Seymour Duncans put in. That's MUCH more than asthetic. That's part of his sound.

My remark about aesthetics was in regards to Slash switching from the BC Rich to a Firebird, not retrofitting the Firebird with his usual hardware. Although different guitars won't sound quite alike, you have to agree that sound doesn't seem to have been the primary factor in Slash's decision to drop the Mockingbird in favour of the depicted Firebird?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
^^OOOOOO, okay, sorry, misunderstood.

Well, the sound between the Mockingbird and the Firebird won't be drastically different. There's more than that, the other main factor is feel of the guitar. For all I know, Slash picked up that Firebird and loved the feel of the neck and the playability far more than that of the Mockingbird.

Seeing as he's got more workings with Gibson guitars right now, I'd say that COULD have a factor in the switch.

Offline Cherry Brandy

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Kickin' ass since '89
Wow, I really want to see these guys again! We got shafted in NJ (not the bands fault), so lets bring 'em back!

Just watching all these vids on Youtube makes me pray for another VR concert!