Author Topic: Im gonna learn to play guitar. Anyone know any good beginner songs.  (Read 18767 times)

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
  • Not changing this till Guns N' Roses go on tour
Im  thinking 1979- Smashing Pumpkins Thats basically the same thing over and over again. Im also thinking the beggining of Smoke on The Water - Deep Purple. Any other songs you can reccomend? And are these good song to begin on?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Start with something else...NO Deep Purple, NO Iron Man

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Aww come on man...

Try and learn cat scratch fever. May be alittle tough! But like slash said once you learn that main riff... you can jam to it 24/7.
On other note.. I didn't learn that until much later. Go with the iron man, smoke on the water, paranoid, welcome to the jungle, slither, dirty little thing.

Just the main riffs. And basic chord progressions.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
One of the biggest mistakes I've seen people make is they either A) Try to start on something way too hard or B) Accomplish something, and use that instead of keep learning new things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtznRLOX5s

You WON'T be able to do that for quite some time. Don't try. Sounds stupid, but people do

Offline Human_Tripod

• Sniper Assassin
  • AUS
when i started out i didnt even learn a song for about the first month

work on chords and simple scales first of all, get ur fingers used to playing and the pain that you will experience when you first start out
then once uve done that start simple, my first song was smoke on the water which is just about the easiest song u could hope to learn, just try and pick something simple that u will enjoy playing

Offline cousin it

• Sniper Assassin
  • drunk, and disorderly
Im  thinking 1979- Smashing Pumpkins Thats basically the same thing over and over again. Im also thinking the beggining of Smoke on The Water - Deep Purple. Any other songs you can reccomend? And are these good song to begin on?

Though it is much dated, I started with "A Horse With No Name", and "Dust In The Wind". About as easy as they come.

Offline JonnyVR

• Gunslinger
  • Belfast Odyssey Arena- 8th June 2005
When I first began playing, I didn't learn whole songs for quite a while.  I just learnt riffs and chords, like the intro riff to Sucker Train Blues and stuff.  When you begin playing, what you want to focus on is building up the calluses (the hard pads of skin) on your finger tips and becoming accustomed to the shapes of the main chords.

Offline Vietnow138

• Straight Shooter
Try learning AC/DC songs, most of them pretty easy to learn and there's enough to keep you busy for a while.

Offline JonnyVR

• Gunslinger
  • Belfast Odyssey Arena- 8th June 2005
Try The Wall

Do you mean the Pink Floyd album?  Or is there an AC/DC song called that too?  :lol:

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
Pink Floyd! haha, I remember I had to play that song at school when I was younger..

Offline peebop

• Straight Shooter
albatross, probably the easiest to learn.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
  • VF::fav::band
    • New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Who makes a good acoustic in the $5-600 range?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Who makes a good acoustic in the $5-600 range?

Cort, Yamaha, Blueridge, Taylor, Guild, Epiphone

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
Thanks a bunch.  Now I see why you're a sniper assassin, while I'm still just a shooter.

No matter what I do musically, I keep coming back to the need for a simple, acoustic guitar.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Me listing 6 guitar makes you could have just as easily dug up on Google makes me a sniper assassin?

Cool. Focus on Epiphone, Taylor and Blueridge if possible.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
You wasting way too much fucking time on this site makes you a Sniper Assassin.  Me wasting too much time in the music store and not actually picking up an acoustic because I had one bad experience makes me a Shooter.  My first guitar was a Takamine G Series.  It was pretty good for a $200 guitar.  Let's face it, though, you really have to shell out at least $500 for something that sounds good and is decent to play on.  That Takamine just kept buzzing, and there was like no correct adjustment for the thing.  I just kept fighting with the thing until a friend let me strum his.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
You wasting way too much fucking time on this site makes you a Sniper Assassin.  Me wasting too much time in the music store and not actually picking up an acoustic because I had one bad experience makes me a Shooter. 

That made little sense, but it's redundant.

You're going to find budget friendly acoustics from almost all brands, but there are some that geared more towards mid-budgets such as the Epiphones. Guild is another brand to check out.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
TRY TRY TRY out the guitars.  You can but its not likley that you will find a awesome sounding guitar for $400.  Rather than spend $600 on one that could sound good. Just go to guitar center or where ever, find a guitar you want or a few that you want, try them out, try out  versions of the same guitar, do whatever you need to untill you find the one that you like the most, and what you think sounds the best.   No two wood is the same so therefore each guitar has their own unique sound.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
You can but its not likley that you will find a awesome sounding guitar for $400. 

That's not true in the least. Companies that make affordable acoustic guitars will have models ranging from $400 that are just as nice and at the same quality level as a guitar that costs $600.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin
You can but its not likley that you will find a awesome sounding guitar for $400. 

That's not true in the least. Companies that make affordable acoustic guitars will have models ranging from $400 that are just as nice and at the same quality level as a guitar that costs $600.
Its not as likley, i should say.

My uncle has a guitar probably cost $200.  Brothers is $700 dollers.  My uncles sounds much better.  Thats why i said try out diffent ones.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Personally, I've spent alot of money on acoustics; that's a sound and tone that is worth every penny able to be spent.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Sniper Assassin
You wasting way too much fucking time on this site makes you a Sniper Assassin.  Me wasting too much time in the music store and not actually picking up an acoustic because I had one bad experience makes me a Shooter. 

You're going to find budget friendly acoustics from almost all brands, but there are some that geared more towards mid-budgets such as the Epiphones. Guild is another brand to check out.

Thanks.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Epiphones.  Ideally, I'd have one that's good enough to play onstage.  I like the acoustic sound, but I've always hung around the cheapo ones, and I've never found anything under $400 that I actually liked playing.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Epiphones can get up past your ideal price range as well, but if you find a nice Epiphone and you can scrape together another hundred or so, I'd recommend it. They're worth it for sure.

Offline aerosmith513

• Sniper Assassin

Thanks.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Epiphones.  Ideally, I'd have one that's good enough to play onstage.  I like the acoustic sound, but I've always hung around the cheapo ones, and I've never found anything under $400 that I actually liked playing.
keep trying.  It could take awhile.  But get what you think is the right one.