Author Topic: Another little clip of the Vintage Modern  (Read 7809 times)

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Here is the VM all broken in now. I screwed up a tad in some parts. But I thought I did very well considering I get amazingly camera shy. Anyways here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TiTey8QIdI

Hope you like it!

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
cover up the shyness with less light :P That amp sounds so incredibly great. It's still making my mouth water. Solo still rocked ass though. Nice playing, nice guitar, NICE tone.

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Haha yeah. I know, I love this amp, and I'm so glad I chose it over the DSL.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Haha yeah. I know, I love this amp, and I'm so glad I chose it over the DSL.

wanna send it to me?

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Haha. I'd kill to keep it. As the guy on the Vintage Modern forum said. "At my age this amp is a huge investment." As I will never really need another amp excetp maybe the 100 watt version as it has more headroom.. But thats for another year. Sreiously I think all those people at harmony central and Ultimate Guitar either worship orange amps, or they never actually got to play it. The reason it doesn't sound good the first time is because 75% of the people think its and amp for something totally different. As you CANNOT treat this amp as a 2 channel amp. More like a single channel with a gain boost. But yeah, go try it out! It's totally worth it.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Haha. I'd kill to keep it. As the guy on the Vintage Modern forum said. "At my age this amp is a huge investment." As I will never really need another amp excetp maybe the 100 watt version as it has more headroom.. But thats for another year. Sreiously I think all those people at harmony central and Ultimate Guitar either worship orange amps, or they never actually got to play it. The reason it doesn't sound good the first time is because 75% of the people think its and amp for something totally different. As you CANNOT treat this amp as a 2 channel amp. More like a single channel with a gain boost. But yeah, go try it out! It's totally worth it.

I know, I've been drooling over it. Can't afford it right now though. Might see if I can pull one out with the trade in on my current head as a birthday present :P

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
You totally wont kick yourself. In fact.. you'll love yourself :P

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
You totally wont kick yourself. In fact.. you'll love yourself :P

there's not many things I do that make me love myself :lol: I love the sound of this amp though. As of right now I'm not gigging, so I'm thinking maybe trade in my head and cab for the combo, but I know as soon as I do that, I'll need the cab back :P

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
I think the stack is wayyyyy warmer. I tried the combo. And I hear ALOT of them the tube cage rattles alot! the metal covering or w/e its called.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I think the stack is wayyyyy warmer. I tried the combo. And I hear ALOT of them the tube cage rattles alot! the metal covering or w/e its called.

Well at this point I'd just be swapping heads, although I should go in and see. I haven't checked in quite some time.

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Buy it!
And we can start a VM cult.
And own all them people with orange amps on ultimate guitar!

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Buy it!
And we can start a VM cult.
And own all them people with orange amps on ultimate guitar!

I love Orange amps. Too fucking expensive though. Not gonna BUY an Orange while Marshall is still in business mind you. I'll see what I can pull together, they're great amps. As much as I don't care for complexity, it might be a bit TOO simple for me, although I doubt it.

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
I never really liked orange. They are WAY too vintage sounding. I like a modernized vintage amp. Orange is too heart/sabbath sounding. Not that it is bad. If I wanted a boutique amp I'd go for Bogner. Although I think thats as expensive as it gets eh.

Offline Darkburst

I think the Vintage Modern series is great. Probably the best new line of amps they've made in 20 years. Besides headroom, I've noticed that 50w Marshall style amps are a bit warmer compared to the 100w versions, which are more aggressive sounding. So it really depends what sound you're going for. Don't sell the head for a combo though. All that depth and thump will be missing with the semi open back design.

My problem with Bogner Shivas and Ecstasy models is that the overdrive channel is too refined. It lacks that edge that classic Marshall amps have. It's also what lead me to sell my Shiva and get the Splawn Quickrod. It had all the rawness of the Marshall 2555 I had, but also had a nice clean channel. I think the Orange amps I've tried or heard bands play live sounded great. Not me personal sound, but still excellent.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I think the Vintage Modern series is great. Probably the best new line of amps they've made in 20 years. Besides headroom, I've noticed that 50w Marshall style amps are a bit warmer compared to the 100w versions, which are more aggressive sounding. So it really depends what sound you're going for. Don't sell the head for a combo though. All that depth and thump will be missing with the semi open back design.

My problem with Bogner Shivas and Ecstasy models is that the overdrive channel is too refined. It lacks that edge that classic Marshall amps have. It's also what lead me to sell my Shiva and get the Splawn Quickrod. It had all the rawness of the Marshall 2555 I had, but also had a nice clean channel. I think the Orange amps I've tried or heard bands play live sounded great. Not me personal sound, but still excellent.

no, no combo for me.

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Also I really think Bogners are so over produced. what i mean by that is that the insides are like perfect and so hard to take apart. my friend showed me the inside and there were mostly no solder points but like the clip thing were you attach 2 wires and is basically impossible to pull apart unless you have a screw driver. And then the tube driven reverb which I have never used, but would like to.

I'll stick with marshall, as I have fallen in love with this amp. and you're right the 50 watt has basically no headroom. But thats not a HUGE problem for me, I can get around that until I save enough after I buy a guitar and car and then get the 100 watt with a full stack. Maybe... haha. Keep it simple for now.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
You can always send your 50 watt my way

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
No can do my friend. I would have to kill if someone takes it... seriosuly... kill  :lol:

Offline Rob_347

• Target Practice
So what's the deal with this amp? Only one channel so you can't setup a clean and distorted setting and switch between the two? I read it had two modes. I ordered a marshall TSL combo, but they're having trouble getting it in, so i'm thinking of changing to maybe the vintage modern, a DSL or vox AC30. Any help appreciated.

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
The vintage modern has  low range and a high range. Not a clean and distortion as the two have volume jumps.

The low range is for more of a blues driven sound. Or if you have a very hot pick up it will add more gain and be easier to clean up rather than a in the high.

The high is your typical modern yet classic setting.I keep it on all teh time. Basically if you eant clean just roll the volume off your guitar just as any other single channel amp. Hell, I dont even use the footswitch for the amp anymore.