Poll

What is Velvet Revolver's best album?

Contraband (2004)
15 (23.1%)
Libertad (2007)
50 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Libertad Review Thread (for forum members' reviews only)  (Read 30390 times)

Offline Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Global Moderator
    • http://europein28days.blogspot.com/
I think a band should evolve musically and go beyond the boundaries.

That is what VR has done with Libertad.  Libertad sounds nothing like Contraband.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
Is there a point i should just shut up? As i listen I like it more, I think Get out the door has a killer solo and the beat is good. Let it roll is still my fav. I'll take it on the chin here and say that i support VR just as long as they dont come out with a Disco album. lol

Offline Intercourse

• Pea Gun Newbie
Fellow VR fans,
I've just heard 'Messages' for the first time...wow...why the hell was this not on the album??
I actually quite like 'Can't Get it Out of my Head' but this song just kicks its ass. Slash's solo is lump in the throat stuff, Weiland’s lines are poetry. Who is the song filter for this band? Who decides what should represent their sound  in the singles market? ‘Slither’ was a killer and the first week sales reflected that. There may be a decay in sales due to the loss of the GNR/STP novelty fans who have moved on to the next fad.

There was universal appraisal of ‘Loving the Alien’ and ‘You Got No Right’ yet they never saw the light of day. I think this may have hurt the sales of Contraband; those songs had serious mass appeal and could have pulled in a whole other round of ‘on the fence’ music fans who were debating buying the album.
If the quotes for this week’s sales figures for this album are correct  (100K) then they are weak; I was expecting about 250K out the gate. I blame SBQM, I like the song but it’s far from being the cream in the milk of Libertad.

Who is choosing their singles; RCA? The band?  Do the band feel songs like ‘Messages’ ,‘Loving the Alien’ and ‘You Got No Right’ are too soft and middle of the road?? Do they want the ‘bad ass’ title more than the sales?

I love’ The Last Fight’ and I think we’ll see a big up-swing in sales when it gets out. If you go back to Sweet Child and Paradise City they were crammed full of melody and actually not that heavy metal at all. I think they are moving back that direction and I’m hoping album No. 3 will make this band finally gel. For some reason I imagine Slash & Weiland being the two polar opposites in terms of music taste in VR.
 Surely someone is reading these boards and gauging what the fans rate highly? ‘Dirty Little Thing’ was a great song but hardly one to win over the majority of music fans. It flopped, no surprise for most of us here. ‘You Got No Right’ with a great video could have made it the song of the summer.

I hope they play to the strengths of this album, I love it all but I think the band have to plan carefully what they put into the jaded, short attention music market they find themselves in now.

Peace,
Intercourse.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:03:48 AM by Intercourse »

Offline VR_Fan05

• Gunslinger
I blame SBQM, I like the song but it’s far from being the cream in the milk of Libertad.

I read in the Yahoo article that the band wanted to release "She Mine" as the first single and RCA over-ruled in and put out "SBQM" ... I personally agree with the band and think releasing "She Mine" is a smart idea as a first single.

Offline Negative Creep

• Sniper Assassin
  • Spay Yourself.
They were thinking of releasing either SBQM, She Mine, or Get Out the Door.

Offline thecrackedjack

• Pea Gun Newbie
I don't know.  Personally, I think She Mine is pretty weak, and SBQM and Get out the Door to be very strong. 

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
I like Let it roll as a first single release, only if it had one more minute added to it. I don't mind She Builds as the first single. My bet is one of the ballads go next. There really isnt another strong song to put out. Slither was the strongest they had from both albums, whether people like it or not, it was. My opinion, one of the ballads will take that album up a few notches on the charts, not any other harder song. Remember, women like ballads. Women drive sales, when they are in to it, so are their boyfriends. That's the rub. When they play live, what song has people screaming louder? Ballad. Women dig that stuff. The last fight should go next, follow by Gravedancer. The two best songs on the album are those two anyway.

Offline Negative Creep

• Sniper Assassin
  • Spay Yourself.
Don't be ridiculous. Get Out the Door is destined to be a rock radio hit. Mary Mary will probably at least reach the top twenty on the pop charts. Gravedancer shouldn't be released.

Offline Ericaaa

• Gunslinger
  • Hell Bent for VR
I'm not going to review this album song by song because a few people have here and I basically agree with what they said. I'm not going to rehash anything. What I WILL say is that I'm very excited to be listening to Libertad (finally!) and I enjoy finding and hearing each song's nuances during every listen. I'm very proud of Velvet Revolver - they've finally created the album I've been waiting for. It's too bad THIS wasn't their debut! Strong, strong music. I can't even pick a favorite yet because I'm still discovering all I can. "Mary Mary" is the one that sticks in my head and the bassline on "The Last Fight" is beautiful. "Let It Roll" - what an opener. Guys, let's make sure this album rises to the top... and beyond!

In regards to what Nygrve said above - I'm the kind of girl that does not get all screamy over ballads - in fact, I'm quite the opposite. While I love a break in the craziness every now and then, nothing makes me happier than jumping around and dancing to a damn good raunchy rock n' roll song.

Offline StaticSeth

• Sniper Assassin
    • My blog: Wow, you're tall.
Here's my review:

Libertad is hardly lackluster
In most cases, an artist’s early work – or the debut to be specific – is usually the finest and most original. Here however, Velvet Revolver have exceeded the expectations of the music world with their sophomore effort, Libertad. Not only has the band put forth another album, which is probably one more than expected considering the egos at hand, but they have put forth one which is better than the last (Contraband).

While Contraband was a breath of fresh air for rock n’ roll, it was more successful because of the rock star names joining forces than it was for the natural cohesion of musical talent. Moving to Libertad, the production is much better than the last album, and this makes for crisper music – all of the instruments can clearly be heard. The style has somewhat shifted from straight up rock n’ roll to a mix of modern and punk rock, but it still rocks and is fun. Rather than having every song feature tasty hooks and licks, they explore melodies and other beautiful sounds while still delivering the groovy riffs. Scott Weiland’s vocals aren’t as artificial as before; they are natural, vibrant, and at times purely breathtaking.

This is material composed of musicians which have truly come together. Velvet Revolver are now a band, rather than an assembly of individual talents, and could be here to stay.

Offline TheFriendlyFiend

• Target Practice
I'm playing it all day trough, i really love it..

every song, and that doesn't happen often.

Offline stpilots98

• Pea Gun Newbie
Good album but I still like Contraband better.  Here are my breakdown of the songs.

1. Let it Roll - 7/10 Decent Rocker but should not have opened the album.   Suckertrain Blues was a way better Opener

2. She Mine - 7/10

3. Get out The Door 6.5/10 - Everyone is all over this songs nuts and I don't know why.  The Chorus makes me want to poke my eye out.

4. She Builds Quick Machines 8.5/10 - Good Song, grew on me.

5. The Last Fight 8.5/10 - Good song but a poor man's You Got No Right

6. Pills, Demons & Etc... 8/10 This song really grew on me after a while

7. American Man 2/10 - Just plain bad.  Worst song I have heard from VR yet. 

8. Mary Mary 9.5/10 - My Favorite song on the album.  Awesome

9. Just Sixteen 9/10 - Awesome Rocker Awesome lyrics.  Such a great song to blast in the Car with the windows down.

10. Can't Get it out of my Head 7/10 - Decent cover

11. For a Brother 8/10

12. Spay 5.5/10 - Come on guys you can do better than this crap

13. Gravedancer - 9/10 - Scott Shines on this one as usual.  Beginning sounds like Fall to Pieces though.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
I live in ATL and barely hear VR on the radio. They have two stations that should play them and they play STP instead. ATL should be a decent market for VR and it isn't, radio wise anyway.

I  may be ridiculous in my opinion but Fall to Pieces was played here more than Slither, when Contraband came out. And the 3 times i have seen them, Fall to Pieces got the loudest ovation.

On that basis, I feel a ballad may be next for a single. I don't hear SBQM at all anyway. I heard it once, weeks ago. I could have sworn Weiland was from ATL area, at least he said he was in concert. You'd think they would take to VR more here. But, as for STP, they love them without a doubt.

As i listen more to the CD, I still like Let it Roll the best.

As for the girl who doesn't take to the ballads as much, fair point, but still, my opinion is true in most regards. Anyone can dispute that, but like I said, Fall to Pieces gets the nod in concert. And the second ovations are the STP songs, third, GNR. That's not me talking, that's the fans. Keep in mind, I saw them twice here and once in Hollywood, FL, which is a bit north from Miami. All I can go on is what I saw.

Offline slash99

• Target Practice
Let It Roll - Generic but a good song, verses and chrous are both solid enough, lacks a decent bit of guitar work. Effective way to start the record. 8/10

She Mine - Not to keen on this one, still ok though Feel the verse is stronger than the chorus, gets very repetive. fells abit empty? 6/10

Get Out The Door - Yeh, again its structre is fairly typical, like let it roll, a different soundong solo. i think its abit better. one of my favs. 9/10

She Builds Quick Machines - I dunno, so catchy, great solo. amazing bridge, despise the chorus and that guitar sound during it. 7/10

Last Fight - Quality! not so sure about that introduction, but its as close to perfect as its gonna get 9/10

Pills, Demons, & Etc... - dont like the verse. the rhymes are awful. catchy chorus however, nice riff 6/10

American Man - Not necessary, very boring and repetitive. one of the worst chrous you could wish to hear, But great work from slash. 6/10

Mary Mary - This is it! Very different to the generic song. mist underated song on the album? i think so. 9/10

Just 16 - I love it! dont know why. well i love that chrous and the solo, sure the lyrical theme is so overdone but o well. 9/10

Can't Get It Out Of My Head - Im not big on the original, and to me this sounded better. listenable, but the fact its not theirs make me give it a 7/10

For A Brother - Growing on me. intresting verse, catchy riff and chorus but far from amazing 7/10

Spay - Yes! this is different from vr's normal song. and its very nice. 9/10

Gravedancer - Yeh, its nice prefer last fight though. 8/10

Don't Drop That Dime - Class. harmless enough 7/10

LIBERTAD 8/10

AND ALSO

Gas and a dollar laugh - another one of those typical rock songs. 7/10

Psycho Killer - much better than CGIOOMH. im loving it, bearing in mind its a cover i give it 8/10

Messages - No comment needed - 10/10

Offline Duffay

• Straight Shooter
  • Slash and Duff 4ever
Well i can't afford to buy the album right now, but i've been listning to a lot of the songs on youtube and it sounds a lot better than Contraband. Slash held back on Contraband i feel, but now he's back!!! A lot of the things i loved about Slash in GNR i thought were lost but this album he's definatly back to being himself. From what i've heard the whole thing seems more relaxed, they're really out to make good music.

Can't wait to see them live in August i'm getting the feeling this concert is gonna be WAY better than the last one i saw

Offline Loaded_Revolver

• Sniper Assassin
  • Bert Is Evil
I think a band should evolve musically and go beyond the boundaries.

That is what VR has done with Libertad.  Libertad sounds nothing like Contraband.

Not only that, but since when has evolving become a requirement for a rock band? It's funny, because when Contraband came out, people bitched that it was Appetite. And then when Libertad came out, many, of the same people, again complained that it isn't Appetite. And in the year leading up to Contraband, most people wanted another Appetite. And in the years leading up to Libertad, many, of those same people yet again, were hoping for an album that is more like Appetite... And then when all is said and done, these people bitch that it's not like Appetite, and then in the same breath say they wished VR evolved, or experimented, and then again bring up a 20 year old album.

If people want evolution from album to album, or experimentation from album to album...  BUY A FUCKING RADIOHEAD CD!

Offline Negative Creep

• Sniper Assassin
  • Spay Yourself.

12. Spay 5.5/10 - Come on guys you can do better than this crap.

I know it's just your opinion, but those are hardly bad songs. American Man is probably one of the best they've produced. Yes, the chorus is reptitive, but the verse is very melodic, and the guitar work is probably the best on the album.

And Spay isn't crap.

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby

12. Spay 5.5/10 - Come on guys you can do better than this crap.

I know it's just your opinion, but those are hardly bad songs. American Man is probably one of the best they've produced. Yes, the chorus is reptitive, but the verse is very melodic, and the guitar work is probably the best on the album.

And Spay isn't crap.

I have to agree with Negative Creep, it took me a while to get into American Man but i love the wailing guitar in it, its so expressive. Spay took a while to appreciate too but im loving it also.............. Still dont like CGIOOMH though, :( I cant believe they put this on the record instead of Psycho Killer

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
My opinion of Contraband was never that it was another Appetite. I liked it for it's foundation as a straightforward rock n roll album. Contraband to me was one of the best albums I have heard the last 10 years or so.  Hard but no too hard. Listenable over and over. Considering that 3 guys were from GNR and defined their sound, it's pretty hard to NOT be somewhat GNRish. Style is style. Slash is Slash. He has his sound and no matter what band he would be in, his style is his own. It just so happens it was GNR first. There are numerous guitarists that have their style and they like itl

Evolution happens in time. I don't mind this album, but the only song on it that is equal to Contraband, is Let it Roll. It's aggressive and has a good sound to it, for my ears anyway. This is my opinion so don't kill me on it people.

l

Offline metallex78

• Straight Shooter
I just think I'm annoyed that the album is so poppy sounding. If that was their choice, and people are digging that, well whatever.
But in a market already flooded with pop albums, if I can't even get my rock needs fulfilled from a band featuring Slash (greatest rock guitarist of my generation) then something is wrong.

Dave's guitar tone really shits me too. It's just fuzzy/farty sounding and clashes with Slash's clean tone throughout most of the album.

Offline Loaded_Revolver

• Sniper Assassin
  • Bert Is Evil
Poppy sounding? Why, cause there isn't a "Fuck" in every other line of the lyrics?

Define poppy. They don't sound like Nickelback, or Hinder, they don't sound like fucking Avril Lavigne, or any of the million and 1 "Pop Punk" bands out there, and they sure as hell don't sound like Britney Spears... What the fuck is so poppy about this album?

And I can't understand why GnR has to be brought up all the time... For starters, GnR was mainly Axl and Izzy writing the songs. Second, Slash was between 22 and 26 years old in the time that Appetite and UYI were released... He's in his 40's now, there is a big difference. And more than that, VR is not GnR, consider that Scott didn't write for GnR, Dave didn't write for GnR, and Matt didn't write for GnR, on the flip side though, I hear tons of Snakepit in VR, particularly the first Snakepit album, and on Libertad more so than Contraband.

Offline Negative Creep

• Sniper Assassin
  • Spay Yourself.
Velvet Revolver have always had a pop element to them. A lot of the songs on Contraband had pop written all over them (Illegal i Song, Fall to Pieces, Slither, You Got No Right, Loving the Alien), but the production was really terrible. With Libertad, Brendan did a great job of giving the album a cleaner sound, and bringing the pop melodies forward.

Complaining about Slash playing on a pop record is hilarious. You do realize who he's worked with, right?

Offline Loaded_Revolver

• Sniper Assassin
  • Bert Is Evil
Complaining about Slash playing on a pop record is hilarious. You do realize who he's worked with, right?

Good point! lol

I still don't know what is so UNUSUALLY poppy about this album. When I hear Let It Roll, I think of NY Dolls, Iggy, etc.

Offline shirleythetatoo

• Sniper Assassin

Evolution happens in time. I don't mind this album, but the only song on it that is equal to Contraband, is Let it Roll. It's aggressive and has a good sound to it, for my ears anyway. This is my opinion so don't kill me on it people.

l

i think we get your point  :P

anyway good reviews everyone ... interesting to read others perceptions

Offline metallex78

• Straight Shooter
Poppy sounding? Why, cause there isn't a "Fuck" in every other line of the lyrics?

Define poppy. They don't sound like Nickelback, or Hinder, they don't sound like fucking Avril Lavigne, or any of the million and 1 "Pop Punk" bands out there, and they sure as hell don't sound like Britney Spears... What the fuck is so poppy about this album?

No need to get so defensive, I'm just stating from what I'm hearing. That poppy sound has nothing to do with whether they say fuck or not in a song :roll:

But to me the guitars really lack punch and there are really "poppy" sounding vocal melodies throughout. Hell, even the riffs don't do much for me.
I expected a hard rocking album, and for the most part it falls flat. Let It Roll and Just 16 are pretty cool, but there's too much bland stuff on there for my liking.

This is probably the first ever Slash album I'm not digging that much, and I'm really disappointed about that.

And all of this above is just my opinion just as much everyone else is entitled to theirs. Don't take it to heart that I don't like it and you do.