Poll

What is Velvet Revolver's best album?

Contraband (2004)
15 (23.1%)
Libertad (2007)
50 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Libertad Review Thread (for forum members' reviews only)  (Read 30387 times)

Offline Boomy

• Why'd ya have to go and let it die?
Some nice reviews, but I can't believe how analytical people get about rock n' roll. You'd think we were in a Music Appreciation class talking about the fate theme in Beethoven's Fifth.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
VR cannot get an Appetite for Destruction. I think Contraband is better than Libertad. I still think the vocals are drowned out on most songs where you really need to concentrate on hearing what Scott sings. Contraband has a harder edge to it and isn't as radio friendly and poppish with the friggin choruses. That right there says it all. Not that choruses are bad, but the pitch of some of them is annoying.

I think album #3, when that comes out in 3 more years will help define VR. Right now you have two somewhat different albums and these guys have yet to define who they are musically, other than Rock n Roll. It's just at what level of Rock n Roll are they wanting to be at. Contraband was a bit heavier. Personally, I like it a bit heavier and I like Slash's guitar style. He's a great guitarist and has solid solo's. I also like heavier drums and Sorum is not playing as heavy as he could.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
Ok, so the Moderator guy has 12 Bar Blues AHEAD of Libertad? And what was ever so great about Weiland's weird solo that puts it better than Contraband and Libertad? Sorry fella but I heard 12 Bar Blues, and I think he was on some weird drugs then. You gave some 10/10 on most of Libertad's songs, yet you must have more 10/10 for 12 Bar Blues. I don't get that.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind the Top 10. Libertad certainly hasn't shown VR have arrived on the scene like Contraband did. No songs on Libertad will be great live. Big Machine Live is really good.

Offline Ericaaa

• Gunslinger
  • Hell Bent for VR
Nygrve, I'm assuming you haven't seen VR live yet this year, correct? If you haven't, you'd be surprised at how well the new songs translate to the stage.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
Ok, so the Moderator guy has 12 Bar Blues AHEAD of Libertad? And what was ever so great about Weiland's weird solo that puts it better than Contraband and Libertad? Sorry fella but I heard 12 Bar Blues, and I think he was on some weird drugs then.

I've heard 12 Bar Blues too, and I think it's a great album - better than either Contraband or Libertad.  It's called a differing opinion... this thread is for people to post their own reviews.  A review isn't just "this is good, this is bad".... there has to be reasoning behind it (@ Boomy - this requires being analytical).  And what this thread isn't for, is people to come on here and tell people their reviews or wrong.

If you don't agree with someone else's review, take time out to write your own.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
I haven't seen them live yet, I am hoping Oct 3 in Atlanta or Aug 18 in NY. I know they put on a good live show and if some of them do go over well Live, great. As for live I would like to see them play Money and Come On Come in. Kind of surprised they didn't when I saw them in Hollywood, Fl in Jan 2006. I've seen them 3 times so far and all 3 times the same set list. And those 3 times were spread out too.

Look, I do not mean to sound so negative, I really hope VR stand the test of time, but I do not see it. A second album after 3 years will not go over well as years go on. How the record label accepted that, shocks me. Plus I see these guys doing too many other outside projects to really sink themselves deep in to whatever VR are supposed to be.

If I were VR, I would record this tour live and put out an album live. That way, they can mix in an album before another studio and break up the 3 year thing and VR fans will get more from the band as well as Merch dollars for VR.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
Ok, I went back the the Moderator guys Top 10. If you like a bit of softer rock that's fine. You have two softer STP albums on top 2 and that says it right there for me. So fine with that. That's your opinion and personally I do not see how those two go above the rest. I am not huge on GNR myself but Appetite is one of the greatest RnR albums of all time, period. And, I don't even have it in my collection, maybe I should. I had the tape when it came out though, lol.

It's all a matter of musical taste. I like things a bit more harder, not super hard, now that I am older, but hard enough where it makes me play air drum and air guitar, lmao.

One more song I would love to see them play live, The Beatles cover, Revolution. They did a great job on that. I tip my cap big time. I do not think anyone else could have done a better job than VR with that song. They nailed it.

Offline Negative Creep

• Sniper Assassin
  • Spay Yourself.
Let It Roll: Amazing opener, it does it's job much better than Sucker Train Blues did on Contraband. Scott sounds amazing on it. I love the groove that Dave has with Matt and Duff. The distorted vocals in the solo part are cool. 4.5/5.

She Mine: I love this intro... it's very grungy, which is good. It's great to hear Slash with such a different sound on this song. The crunchiness of the guitars are great, and that lick that Slash plays in the verses is chilling. The bridge is amazing. Scott sounds super powerful, and the guitars are epic. The mixing of vocals at the end of the song is pretty cool. 4/5.

Get Out the Door: The absolute best song on the album. Dave has amazing tone in the intro. Scott gives the song a great edginess with his tone and "swagger" as some call it. I love the riffs on this song. The chorus is extremely catchy, and the guitar lick that Slash plays is really cool. Lyrics are awesome, and the solo is one of the best. 5/5.

She Builds Quick Machines: Great riff, fun lyrics, amazing bridge, amazing solo. But still, the worst song on the album. 3/5.

The Last Fight: The guitar in the intro makes me think of a carnival... It sounds really unique though. Matt and Duff really lead this song in the verses. Scott sounds really terrific in the chorus, and the distorted guitars really make it huge. The only thing I can really say bad about this song is that you can hear Scott inhaling through his nose or something after the solo, and it just sounds awkward. 4.5/5.

Pills, Demons, Etc.: The riff is really infectious on this song. I can sort of hear a bit of punk in Scott's voice on this song. Overall, it's just a really fun song, that should be great to hear live. 4/5.

American Man: This song probably has the best guitar riff and solo. There's something about this song that really brings me in... I can't explain it, but it's a really amazing song. The chorus is the only weak part of it. 4.5/5.

Mary Mary: I love the segue into this song. This was something I would have never expected from Velvet Revolver. It's sounds like an 80's pop song or something, with heavy guitars. One of the best songs on the album. I don't doubt that this song will be a hit if it's released, it's super catchy. I love the "Come on out" in the outro. 5/5.

Just Sixteen: Amazing guitars on this song, I love what Dave gives this song. His grungy tone is perfect for Slash's almost bluesy riffs. I really love "We ain't got nothin' to hide, hide". Awesome song. Pretty great lyrics, too. 4.5/5

Can't Get It Out of My Head: I don't know why everyone hates this song. It's really beautiful. You can actually hear the emotion in Scott's voice. The guitars sound pretty powerful in the chorus. Slash adds a really great solo. 3.5/5.

For a Brother: More cowbell! Excellent groove in this song. I love it. The chorus is really catchy, too. Scott sounds amazing in the bridge... it's like he channeled his 1992 self. 4/5.

Spay: Wow. What can I say... Probably the second best song on the album. Really really awesome agressive guitars. The lyrics are phenomenal. I hate celebrities with a passion, so I guess this really speaks to me. The bridge is really great. And that scream in the background of the chorus is pretty intense... Punk perfection. 5/5.

Gravedancer: This song basically improves on everything Loving the Alien had to offer. Really beautiful leads from Slash. They all sound really great on this song. 4.5/5.

Don't Drop That Dime: They need to do more country! 5/5.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
Here is one thing I have noticed in Scott Weiland: His voice has completely changed from the early STP days to now. From Contraband to Libertad, it's like hearing two different singers. There is a new song out by Saliva that's really good and I actually thought it was a VR song from Libertad.  It was a couple of days ago and I hadn't heard anything from Libertad. But after the song played, the station said it was Saliva. I could have sworn the singer was Scott Weiland.  Told my GF, that if that song is from new VR album, I cannot wait to hear the rest and that VR would take off. But, no. She laughed when Saliva was mentioned. lol. I said, oops, sorry, insert foot in mouth.

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
Here is one thing I have noticed in Scott Weiland: His voice has completely changed from the early STP days to now. From Contraband to Libertad, it's like hearing two different singers.
Yeah you've said that about 5 or 6 times now.

Offline Negative Creep

• Sniper Assassin
  • Spay Yourself.
He was an amazing singer back in the Core/Purple days. Then his voice got pretty terrible. But he started to get it back when he quit the drugs. Now he sounds just as amazing as ever. He just chooses to sing with different styles. He almost sounds like a different person when you compare The Last Fight and something like Spay.

Offline Loaded_Revolver

• Sniper Assassin
  • Bert Is Evil
Not to name names, but someone here seems to really LOVE the sound of their own voice, or in this case the look of their own typed out words.

Offline FunnieFaces

• Gunslinger
  • I saw him in person and melted on the sidewalk....
I was surprised at how different it is than Contraband, but for me if I hear the same thing over and over on every CD I get bored with it. I find that I like some songs better than the other but over all I like it very much. I do how ever like psycho Killer alot so I am glad I got Libertad and The Melody..  As far as Scott's voice, it changes with age and how well you take care of your vocal cords. I like the way he sounds then and now.

Offline Ericaaa

• Gunslinger
  • Hell Bent for VR
Not to name names, but someone here seems to really LOVE the sound of their own voice, or in this case the look of their own typed out words.

*snicker*

(My review will be up later or tomorrow!)

Offline BShea

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flies in the Vasoline We Are
    • UltimateRockGods.com
My Review that I wrote for http://www.UltimateRockGods.com

Velvet Revolver - Libertad - 9.5/10 by BShea

Velvet Revolver is back.  The band being billed as the Savior of Rock couldn't really even save itself on its debut album.  The album ended up having a few smash hits, but overall was a major disappointment.  Let's see how Scott, Slash, Duff, Dave, and Matt could do this time around.

The album starts with the ripping "Let It Roll".  This song features great vocals by Scott Weiland and a cool riff by Slash.  Perfect opener for the album and it really sets the tone.  The next song, "She Mine" is a great song as well.  I really like the playing by Matt here.  The cowbell is very effective during some of the verses.  Scott also shows his versatility in this song by singing in his grunge-god voice, but also in his very clean voice.  "Get Out the Door' is one of the better songs on the album.  Scott sounds great on this one as well.  "She Builds Quick Machines", the lead single, is a great track.  The whole band plays well on this song and it really shines on the album.  "The Last Fight" is the 2nd single off of the album and the 1st slow song on "Libertad".  This song is very emotional and will surely be a huge radio hit.  Think of it as "Fall to Pieces", only the band has found it's true identity.  "Pills, Demons, etc" is a good song as well.  I'm not a huge fan of the riff that Slash plays in the intro, but it really works for the song.  "American Man" and "Mary Mary" are probably my two favorite songs on the album.  They both sound very inspired by bands like The Who and The Beatles.  Great summer songs and both are very very catchy.  "Just Sixteen" has a very "punk-ish" vibe to it. While the subject matter of the song is sort of weird, it's a great song.  "Can't Get It Out of My Head" is an ELO cover.  Surprisingly, they do it very well, even though its a slow song.  Slash and Dave mesh very well on this track.  "For a Brother" is a great rock song.  The only song I don't really like on this album is "Spay".  It just doesn't do anything for me.  The album ends with "Gravedancer" which also contains a hidden track called "Dont' Drop that Dime".  "Gravedancer" is a very well thought out slow song.  "Don't Drop That Dime" is actually a country/bluegrass song.  The song ends with Scott Weiland yodeling (Think Mighty Joe Young Era).  It actually comes together and is a fun change of pace from the rest of the album.   

The album is not just better than Contraband, it's better by leaps and bounds.  Every member of the band has stepped up their games, especially Matt Sorum and Scott Weiland.

Track by Track Ratings
1. Let It Roll - 9/10
2. She Mine - 9.5/10
3. Get Out the Door - 9.5/10
4. She Builds Quick Machines - 9/10
5. The Last Fight - 9.5/10
6. Pills, Demons, Etc. - 8.5/10
7. American Man - 10/10
8. Mary Mary - 10/10
9. Just Sixteen - 9/10
10. Can't Get It Out of My Head - 9.5/10
11. For a Brother - 9/10
12. Spay - 7.5/10
13. Gravedancer - 10/10
14. Don't Drop That Dime (Hidden Track) - 9/10

Bonus Tracks:
15. Messages - 10/10
16. Gas and a Dollar Laugh - 9/10

Offline VR fan88

• Gunslinger
  • You cant escape this beast inside
One thing that annoys me is when people say some songs are fillers...ok...like Contraband didnt have a buncha fillers??? not sayn i didnt like em i just think Contrabands fillers dont come close to Libertads so called "fillers" Imo

Offline Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Global Moderator
    • http://europein28days.blogspot.com/
Ok, so the Moderator guy has 12 Bar Blues AHEAD of Libertad? And what was ever so great about Weiland's weird solo that puts it better than Contraband and Libertad? Sorry fella but I heard 12 Bar Blues, and I think he was on some weird drugs then. You gave some 10/10 on most of Libertad's songs, yet you must have more 10/10 for 12 Bar Blues. I don't get that.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind the Top 10. Libertad certainly hasn't shown VR have arrived on the scene like Contraband did. No songs on Libertad will be great live. Big Machine Live is really good.

12 Bar Blues, IMO, is a perfect album.  Shangri-La Dee Da, No. 4, Tiny Music, and Purple are all perfect albums, IMO.  Libertad is not a perfect album.  That's why 12 Bar Blues and those 4 STP albums are ahead of Libertad in the ranking.

Contraband is a good album, but it's not even close to Libertad.  Libertad is so much more creative and better written than Contraband.  Oh, and every Libertad song will be awesome live, just as good as the Contraband songs, if not better.

But of course, this is all my opinion.  You obviously don't share it, so nothing I say will change your mind.  You obviously wanted an album exactly like Contraband.  Whereas, I wanted an album with a lot more experimentation than what was on Contraband.  Libertad, although not perfect, is the album I wanted.

Offline thecrackedjack

• Pea Gun Newbie

12 Bar Blues, IMO, is a perfect album.  Shangri-La Dee Da, No. 4, Tiny Music, and Purple are all perfect albums, IMO.  Libertad is not a perfect album.  That's why 12 Bar Blues and those 4 STP albums are ahead of Libertad in the ranking.

Contraband is a good album, but it's not even close to Libertad.  Libertad is so much more creative and better written than Contraband.  Oh, and every Libertad song will be awesome live, just as good as the Contraband songs, if not better.

But of course, this is all my opinion.  You obviously don't share it, so nothing I say will change your mind.  You obviously wanted an album exactly like Contraband.  Whereas, I wanted an album with a lot more experimentation than what was on Contraband.  Libertad, although not perfect, is the album I wanted.
I just don't get the fascination with 12 Bar Blues.  To me, it's easily the weakest album Scott's ever been involved in.  The Last Fight alone is better than every song on that album combined.  But of course, I respect your opinion and look forward to another solo album. 

Offline metallex78

• Straight Shooter
VR cannot get an Appetite for Destruction. I think Contraband is better than Libertad. I still think the vocals are drowned out on most songs where you really need to concentrate on hearing what Scott sings. Contraband has a harder edge to it and isn't as radio friendly and poppish with the friggin choruses. That right there says it all. Not that choruses are bad, but the pitch of some of them is annoying.

I think album #3, when that comes out in 3 more years will help define VR. Right now you have two somewhat different albums and these guys have yet to define who they are musically, other than Rock n Roll. It's just at what level of Rock n Roll are they wanting to be at. Contraband was a bit heavier. Personally, I like it a bit heavier and I like Slash's guitar style. He's a great guitarist and has solid solo's. I also like heavier drums and Sorum is not playing as heavy as he could.

My sentiments exactly.

Libertad has it's moments, but there's allot of bland "poppy" stuff which I'm not digging at all.
Some songs have me scratching my head saying "where's Slash?" and "is this really the best they could come up with?"

Still love Contraband though. A solid rock album from start to finish.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
You obviously wanted an album exactly like Contraband.  Whereas, I wanted an album with a lot more experimentation than what was on Contraband.  Libertad, although not perfect, is the album I wanted.

I don't think they experimented enough.  They have a few tracks that are bit more experimental, and stepping out of their comfort zone to really mix things up, and those are my favourites on the album.  But there are too many songs that are just rehashing what the members have done in the past.  A couple sound very STP, and others just sound like an excuse for Slash to do the same old stuff he's been doing for 20 years.  If they had experimented more, then it would've been the album I wanted.  But 4 or 5 songs just isn't enough... which is why Contraband is a better album, I think.  Not only were the majority of the songs overall just better because they seemed to be trying a lot harder to let people know they're more than just a cash-in, and Scott had to prove that he hadn't lost it, but they are also a lot more experimental if you consider that most of it sounded like neither STP or GN'R or anything any of them had done in the past (though obviously drawing elements from each).

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
Ok, as I have read and listened more to the album as the days have gone on, I have come to realize something. Here is my issue and I think it makes sense:

I know what Scott can do vocally, when he was with STP. I know what Slash and Duff can do through GNR. I know what Matt can do with his work in GNR and The Cult. Dave, I really do not know wht he can do to be honest cuz I haven't heard much of him in the past.

So there is an expectation I guess I have come to have with this group, because of past history. All have talent obviously. Now, if these guys had never been in other bands and this is the first time I or anyone else has heard them, maybe I wouldn't be as harsh. I think my expectations have overshadowed the album. It's not a bad rock album. It ain't the greatest either. It's in the middle of the pack. Certainly it's no Appetite, or Srgt Peppers from the Beatles, Zoso from Zep(pick any Zep), Boston, Van Halen, Kiss Alive!, it's another rock album.

I think if I lighten up the expectation, I will enjoy it more. i think that is fair to say. Some songs are cathy and will grow on me I am sure. It's a matter of time I guess.

Offline Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Global Moderator
    • http://europein28days.blogspot.com/
You obviously wanted an album exactly like Contraband.  Whereas, I wanted an album with a lot more experimentation than what was on Contraband.  Libertad, although not perfect, is the album I wanted.

I don't think they experimented enough.  They have a few tracks that are bit more experimental, and stepping out of their comfort zone to really mix things up, and those are my favourites on the album.  But there are too many songs that are just rehashing what the members have done in the past.  A couple sound very STP, and others just sound like an excuse for Slash to do the same old stuff he's been doing for 20 years.  If they had experimented more, then it would've been the album I wanted.  But 4 or 5 songs just isn't enough... which is why Contraband is a better album, I think.  Not only were the majority of the songs overall just better because they seemed to be trying a lot harder to let people know they're more than just a cash-in, and Scott had to prove that he hadn't lost it, but they are also a lot more experimental if you consider that most of it sounded like neither STP or GN'R or anything any of them had done in the past (though obviously drawing elements from each).

I agree that VR should have experimented more on this album.  But I wasn't expecting them to experiment any more than they did.  Let's face it, VR is straight-ahead rock 'n' roll.  That's it.  For experimentation, we'll have to wait for Weiland's 2nd solo album.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
Jim, I didn't expect Contraband 2. Not at all. I look at Come on Come In and I really like that song, IMHO. Many may not, I like it and I like that style. It's a bit heavier than some on Contraband but it is good. Libertad has catchier songs and is not as heavy. I do not mind experimentation because that keeps a band fresh. Then again, look at GNR and their experimentation. There is no GNR now. I don't care what Axl tries to do. STP on the other hand completely changed. Their sound changed from beginning to end.

I look at many bands in the past who have changed so much. I love Kiss. Always my fav band, but hey, they put out a Disco album so I can't rag too hard here. lol. And Kiss changed big time. It's hard for a band to stay Status Quo. I think a band should evolve musically and go beyond the boundaries. I just hope VR lasts and gets 5-10 albums out in their history. Do that, and then I will say they may have put their stamp on Rock n Roll. GNR did it with their first, but couldn't repeat it.

My musical tastes are all over the map. I admit that. Depends on my mood for the day. It's hard rock, Metal when I work out. Coming home from work, it's a bit easier musically. I love Blues, Jazz, but I grew up on Rock n Roll. I grew up on Kiss Alive! Many can say what they want that it wasn't totally live, who cares, it's Kiss' defining album and put live albums on the map. It stands the test of time 30 years later. THAT is an album. Like VH1 Ultimate Albums. IF VR do that, shit, we all will bow down to them. If I am VR, I do a live album next.

Offline nygrve

• Target Practice
One more thing, I don't mind covers. But on your second album? A cover already? And that song? I don't get it.

Offline gansinrosa

• Gunslinger
I agree that VR should have experimented more on this album.  But I wasn't expecting them to experiment any more than they did.

I don't have the CD yet :cry: - but I have listened to this one stream more than once (the one without the annoying female voice - pure testosterone ;) ) - and maybe I'm already half deaf, but to me it sounds pretty experimental without losing the focus on what it actually is, rock. I mentioned this somewhere else about "She Mine", a bit tongue-in-cheek with the "70's disco" that I can hear in there somewhere and I called it a bit crossover. Could say the same about most of the other songs. It's a good thing if a band plays around with different things and styles a bit, will never get boring that way (but there is a certain limit if you don't want to sound like the Beach Boys all of a sudden). But this might be one reason why I had to listen to most of the songs more than once before I found all the little details that make them special. Or - like I said, maybe I'm just half deaf, I'm old. :lol:

And if anything, Scott is a better singer now (and again, I might be half deaf AND I don't know all STP songs), some of the things he does on Libertad are totally nuts. In a good way.