Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix  (Read 9887 times)

Offline velvetrocks1

• Gunslinger
Are you experenced or have you ever been experenced to the king of the guitar. Although some would say claptop's better jimi hendrix IMO is the very best. The experence have also made some amazing songs. So what is your favorite album song or experence you have had with jimi and the boys.

P.S. Hope that's better i'm a lazy typer
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:59:00 PM by velvetrocks1 »

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
OK... I'll give you a pointer here.  No one's going to have a go at you if your grammar and spelling isn't perfect... but at least try.  That was one big long sentence that didn't make much sense to me... so I'm just going to say my favourite Hendrix song is Purple Haze.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
OK... I'll give you a pointer here.  No one's going to have a go at you if your grammar and spelling isn't perfect... but at least try.  That was one big long sentence that didn't make much sense to me... so I'm just going to say my favourite Hendrix song is Purple Haze.

Hahahahaha, Commander Grammar! TALLYHO! Hendrix, I'm probably going to cause a debate here but I think he is far from the best guitarist in terms of technicality and emotion to his playing. The big thing in my opinion is that he changed the way the guitar is played, as opposed to being the greatest player. There are plenty of guitarists that can play cleaner, faster and more notes than Hendrix, guys I'm not too into like Buckethead, Vai, Satriani, Petrucci and Gilbert, and then there are guys I think just from the bluesy rawness from their playing have more feeling than Hendrix.

That said, I do believe that Hendrix is a great guitar player, but definitly not THE greatest, far from THE greatest. Who Knows is one of the best songs. In fact, my favorite album by Hendrix is easily Band Of Gypsys.

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
I tend to put Hendrix in the same class as Elvis: What they did may not be overly impressive by modern standards (personally I can't stand Elvis) but to understand the imapact they had and why people think they're so special you've got to look at what else was around at the time.

These days everyone uses tricks Hendix introduced, or has invented new and (arguably) more impressive ones but at the time he was unique.

For me personally I appreciate the impact he had but I'm not a huge fan of his music.  I enjoy listening to a song or two now and again but I don't see myself buying his albums.  Hard to pick a favourite song, although Purple Haze is my favourite cocktail (thank you Hard Rock Cafe).

Offline velvetrocks1

• Gunslinger

Hahahahaha, Commander Grammar! TALLYHO! Hendrix, I'm probably going to cause a debate here but I think he is far from the best guitarist in terms of technicality and emotion to his playing. The big thing in my opinion is that he changed the way the guitar is played, as opposed to being the greatest player. There are plenty of guitarists that can play cleaner, faster and more notes than Hendrix, guys I'm not too into like Buckethead, Vai, Satriani, Petrucci and Gilbert, and then there are guys I think just from the bluesy rawness from their playing have more feeling than Hendrix.

That said, I do believe that Hendrix is a great guitar player, but definitly not THE greatest, far from THE greatest. Who Knows is one of the best songs. In fact, my favorite album by Hendrix is easily Band Of Gypsys.
Well you may be right with some of that stuff but I think he's concidered the best because he laid the ground work for everything we hear after him. Yes others maybe play cleaner or maybe some are faster but if it wasn't for hendrix they wouldn't even know how to play that way ask any guitar player with any resepct to his name and he was probally influenced by hendrix. I still say no one had the total package like he did I donno I think it's a mute point anyway the music is fantastic so in the end that's what matters. Peace

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

Well you may be right with some of that stuff but I think he's concidered the best because he laid the ground work for everything we hear after him. Yes others maybe play cleaner or maybe some are faster but if it wasn't for hendrix they wouldn't even know how to play that way ask any guitar player with any resepct to his name and he was probally influenced by hendrix. I still say no one had the total package like he did I donno I think it's a mute point anyway the music is fantastic so in the end that's what matters. Peace

There are other players that can also be thrown into the category of laying ground work for how things are now, and I am a guitar player, for years, and as for being influenced by Hendrix, I can honestly say I haven't

Offline velvetrocks1

• Gunslinger
I'm not gonna try to change your mind man if you fell that way that's cool like I said it's all about the music and he made some amazing stuff

Offline Kona

• Gunslinger
    • naked pictures
oh one of my fav guitarists. Definitely one of the best ever...he was also a great songwriter. I love the way he always used to improvise at shows, the way he used the effects (they existed before him, but he did a radical change of using them) and his unique style that has inspired many famous guitarists. You could play hendrix songs, but no one could play it like him.

Little Wing, Voodoo Child, The star sprangled banner and purple haze are my fav songs.

thanks for creating this topic, made me put on some hendrix music :P

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I'm not gonna try to change your mind man if you fell that way that's cool like I said it's all about the music and he made some amazing stuff

No I hear what you're saying, it's my fault :lol: I need to rephrase myself. I think in terms of all around full package guitarists, there are a fair few I can think of I'd put ahead of Hendrix, but I totally agree he changed the guitar, I just think if he didn't make the impact he did other guys from that era would have, I'm not trying to say what he did is any less. I do really like his playing, but I can't say I've really been influenced by him all that much, But like you said, there are lots of guys that are great that might not be here if it weren't for Hendrix, that to me is probably his biggest impact, is the people he's influenced. I do think he's one of the greats, just not THE great. I'm not sure there is a single greatest player.

Offline cousin it

• Sniper Assassin
  • drunk, and disorderly
He is hanging on in the poll, so I thought I would bring this back up

... far from the best guitarist in terms of technicality and emotion to his playing.

Wow! very few guitarist show the emotion that he exhibited during his performances. Have you seen the clips from his gig at the Monterey Pop Festival? He makes love to that guitar. If not, HERE is his cover of "Wild Thing"; watch to the end and it might change your mind. I've said it many times before, and I'll repeat it here; "he did more with less, than anyone before or since".

Anyway, a couple of my favorites are "Little Wing" and "If 6 was 9"

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
I listen to Hendrix sometimes...not often though. But he sure has some good songs.

Offline Mr Joshua

• Gunslinger
  • Rock n Roll Baby

... far from the best guitarist in terms of technicality and emotion to his playing.

Wow! very few guitarist show the emotion that he exhibited during his performances. Have you seen the clips from his gig at the Monterey Pop Festival? He makes love to that guitar. If not, HERE is his cover of "Wild Thing"; watch to the end and it might change your mind. I've said it many times before, and I'll repeat it here; "he did more with less, than anyone before or since".

I agree with Cousin it, Hendrix's playing is full of emotion, listen to any of his live stuff. My favourite being when he was on the Lulu show and Cream had just broken up and they just went into an impromptu version of Sunshine of your love............. Classic

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

Yes, I have that actually. There's nothing wrong with him, but compared to players since him, he's not the greatest.

Offline Ezikiel

• Sniper Assassin
  • Tyrant
questioning Hendrix should ba banned...really!

And why compare him with the likes of Vai, Satch etc. when they themselves are Hendrix admirers. Its not even about blues, its about what Hendrix did with the guitar. The raw leads... the heavy kind of riffs..the simplicity of Little Wing and the brilliant cover of Hey Joe.

He changed how guitaring is done... from what they had heard... that is BB King etc.  Most of all he influenced most of the guitarists that are big today, be it Vai, Slash, Page etc.

he may not be the best "guitarist" per say to some people.. but he IS the pinacle of modern day guitaring.

now playing: Jimi Hendrix - Fire

Offline DementedAvenger

• Pea Gun Newbie
I had the good fortune of seeing Jimi Hendrix 6 or 7 times, and sat in with Noel Redding's brothers band for a few gigs when their keyboard player broke his hand, so I "met" JH a couple of times...it was more like watching him from across the room because you couldnt get that close to him.

The Band of Gypsys concert stands out to me. I still hear "Them Changes" in my head now and then. For the experience (or what I remember of the experience  :lol:, sitting at the stage for Jimi at Woodstock was also awesome, but musically Gypsies was much better.

Offline JAC

• Sniper Assassin
  • Kirschner Fan
    • Dave Kushner Fansite

Offline DementedAvenger

• Pea Gun Newbie
Jealous? Me?

Perhaps.

Don't be...there are downsides...like I was the oldest person at AiC/VR last week, including the ushers  :D

Offline cousin it

• Sniper Assassin
  • drunk, and disorderly
I had the good fortune of seeing Jimi Hendrix 6 or 7 times, and sat in with Noel Redding's brothers band for a few gigs when their keyboard player broke his hand, so I "met" JH a couple of times...it was more like watching him from across the room because you couldnt get that close to him.

The Band of Gypsys concert stands out to me. I still hear "Them Changes" in my head now and then. For the experience (or what I remember of the experience  :lol:, sitting at the stage for Jimi at Woodstock was also awesome, but musically Gypsies was much better.

I bet you have some stories.

Offline DementedAvenger

• Pea Gun Newbie

I bet you have some stories.

great music and bad drug stories lol   when i saw the subject line for the "60s survivor" thread I thought it was about me   :lol:  as I told isabelle_guns in a PM that never got to her...I take some shit for being the oldest rocker at anything but a Roger Waters concert, but f^&k em if they cant take a joke :). As Ian Anderson said Your never too old to rock and roll if youre too young to die.  (Isnt that my signature or something?)

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
As Ian Anderson said Your never too old to rock and roll if youre too young to die.
I like that quote!

Offline Ezikiel

• Sniper Assassin
  • Tyrant

you sir.. deserve a couple of beers.

Offline cousin it

• Sniper Assassin
  • drunk, and disorderly

Hell, he deserves a bottle of 18 year old bourbon ... my treat.

Offline DementedAvenger

• Pea Gun Newbie

Hell, he deserves a bottle of 18 year old bourbon ... my treat.

I'll be happy to collect at the 10/26 Irvine show. :)

Offline DementedAvenger

• Pea Gun Newbie
As Ian Anderson said Your never too old to rock and roll if youre too young to die.
I like that quote!

Yeah, if ole Jethro Tull didn't give me that license I would have died of boredom long ago (I almost did in the DDD anyway.  (The dark days of disco)