Author Topic: Fender or Dean  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Ok, so normally I don't ask questions like this on a forum, but I'm kinda stuck. I've been playing guitar for years, I'm quite good (And I don't mean that in an arrogant way), I've got a beautiful Epi Les Paul with Seymour Duncans. I play almost all hard rock, for me it's alway been about GN'R and Aerosmith. Almost all hard rock. I like all forms of rock, but that's where I stand the most. I enjoy some heavy metal, and love Pantera, I was thinking about something with a Floyd Rose, so I first though of a Dean ML. I've played the Dimebag signature, and for being a signature it plays very, very well. I also like some bluesier stuff too, and I've always like the telecaster. Both would suit me in different ways, but I'm not sure which to go with. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards the tele, because I think it can also fit into my main areas of music as well. Anyone?

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Telecaster is very versitle.

Its also my 3rd favoutite guitar to play on 1 being and LP, 2nd being a Firebird, and 3rd being the tele.

I think IMO the tele is more versitle. It might not do justice to heavy metal. But it has a much wider genre range as far as the music you want to play.

But it's intirely up to you.

Offline Martin

• Sniper Assassin
I think the best guitar based on your post would be a John 5 signature Telecaster.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I think the best guitar based on your post would be a John 5 signature Telecaster.

I can see that, I've not really put alotta thought into the John 5, not really considered it. Ever played it?

Offline Martin

• Sniper Assassin

I can see that, I've not really put alotta thought into the John 5, not really considered it. Ever played it?

Yep, I have one.  Got the versatility you expect from a Telecaster, but with added power to crank it up and rock out.

There is a brand new signature out now (not sure if they are available in the UK yet though) http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130050306

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
i just got a new US strat and i'm loving it.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

Yep, I have one.  Got the versatility you expect from a Telecaster, but with added power to crank it up and rock out.

There is a brand new signature out now (not sure if they are available in the UK yet though) http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130050306

Good thing I live in Canada. I'll definitly have to check those out now.

Offline Martin

• Sniper Assassin
Another plus point is that many of the higher end American Dean's are limited runs and will go up massively in value

Offline Ezikiel

• Sniper Assassin
  • Tyrant

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Fender by a long way.
Thanks for the ideas everyone, but I'd like reasons.

Offline Kona

• Gunslinger
    • naked pictures
depends what kind of tele...But if you buy a tele i'd recommend you one that has a saddle for all 6 strings instead of one that has only 3 (2 strings per hole). Tele were made with 3-saddle and that's why most of the tele guitars got one. But there are also many that has 6 pieces on the saddle.

With the 3 thingy you won't get the intonation on your tele. I don't know so much about teles but that is what i understood about them...

i'd also put a humbucker as neck pickup to my tele, but that's a matter of taste.

have you ever thought of a Gretsch?

(sorry for the poor english, i tried :P)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:47:47 AM by Kona »

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
English is fine. I have been looking at a few Gretchs. I'm not sure about an archtop though. I checked out the J5 tele, it's got a humbucker in the bridge, If I get a tele it's probably because I'm going with the single coil feel. Anyone got any guitars with P-90's? That's something else I'm looking at...

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:23:10 PM by Sverre »