Author Topic: 2007-03-12 - Van Halen R&R Hall Of Fame Induction - Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City, NY, USA  (Read 100618 times)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
From tonight's CFR thread:

Matty just said that they are going to do "Ain't Talkin About Love"

Offline tatiana

• Sniper Assassin
glad to hear vr is performing but why can't vh just suck it up and perform a song???

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
  • JEES-IT! Pulling out the arsenal! GO DO! SAC'TO!
glad to hear vr is performing but why can't vh just suck it up and perform a song???

Well let's see....they all don't get along, DLR is an utter tool, and I would actually pay the $7K per seat to see them try to do a DLR era song first and then tell him that he has to leave the stage so that Sammy can come on and do a song from his era...getting DLR off the stage would be like getting eyelashes out of superglue.  And not to mention that Cherrone (or however you spell the Ex-Extreme dude's name) isn't going to be there and would they have to do a song from HIS era?  I mean really...having too many lead singers and having such animosity within the band would just turn any performance at the HOF induction into a giant cluster f*ck. (of course this is all just my opinion ;))

Offline lovemachine97

• Target Practice
I feel I should respond in this thread, considering Eddie VH and Weiland are my two absolute favorite artists, the two guys who GOT me into music...how odd for me that Weiland is inducting EVH into the hall.  Never saw that coming.

I'll believe that EVH and AVH will be there when I see it.  That being said, DLR and Sammy have said from the beginning they'd be there.  Michael Anthony hemmed and hawed because of his firing from the band, I'm sure there is DEFINITE animosity towards Eddie.  Eddie's reason for firing Mike?  He was in a band (The Other Half) with Sammy "playing the songs I wrote" and you can't be in two bands...yeah, ok...whatever, you prick

Anyways, Sammy thought the Peppers would do it, because Chad Smith is a close friend, and he is in another band with Michael Anthony and Smith, and they hope to do a record sometime soon.  Why they chose Kid Rock, I have no idea.  Why they chose VR?  No idea...

I'd really like to see them do a song with Sammy, a song with Dave, both of them with Michael Anthony, then have Weiland join them onstage to do something like 'You Really Got Me'

But as someone who has kept up with the EVH saga...FUCK him.  I mean, all along you thought DLR was the problem, but when you see or read DLR when he is not being 'Diamond Dave', he is actually pretty cool.  And Sammy and Mike are obviously very fan friendly.  But Eddie, I mean, it would probably be better for the guy if he just died.  I know how morbid that is, but all he is doing now is driving his legacy into the ground.  And he wreaks havoc wherever he goes.  He shows up at public appearance's beyond drunk, he has thrown up at public appearances, and he just acts like a baby.  Not to mention that he forbade Mike or Sammy to sell Cabo Wabo Tequila or Mike's Hot Sauce at shows--throwing tantrums at the venues where it was sold out of Sammy's control, yet he was playing guitars onstage then selling them on ebay.  And do you think it's a coincidence that his new $30,000 guitar came out the year of the reunion tour?  The guy has just LOST it, and now when 3/5ths of the band wants to perform at the show, he doesn't want to?  Even when the guy you fired wants to play, the faithful bassist since the beginning--and original singer--that you replaced with your 15 year old son who had only played bass for a couple months before the announcement?  I'd bet it's a move to make the other guys look stupid and diminish the honor for them.  I mean, Eddie's gotten accolades for years, and this wouldn't be a big moment for him.  But for Mike, Sammy, and DLR, this is a pinnacle for them.  And if they perform without Eddie and Alex, it makes them look somewhat silly.  And if they don't perform at all, then Ed diminishes this moment for them.

How selfish can this guy be?

Anyways, seeing VR will be cool.  At least ONE of my favorite musicians, who has struggled to do the right thing and keep his head above water, still has perspective...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 07:17:39 PM by lovemachine97 »

Offline M i k e

• Gunslinger

For a lot of reason beyond any of us rational thinking human beings can think of, but mainly, bcause they wouldn't make a nickel out of the deal. As far as what DD said, shit, I'd but her a ticket to come with me if that was going down.

What would be the point? I could list some that all of us would think...

- To do the right thing on a night where they're being honored? - No, that can't happen. Because as DD said, there are one too many chickens in the hen house. Sam singing "Romeo Delight" or "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love"? Sure. He's done it before with a smile on his face. Roth singing "Best of Both Worlds"? Not going to happen simply because he thinks the only Van Halen that ever existed was the one with him fronting it. The only man I see fit to pull off a night like this would be the guy who had a cup of coffee with band in 1998, Gary Cherone. But wait, you can't do that... Ed and Al play that year off like it never happened and he left the band because of the lack of sales on "Van Halen 3" leading them to actually cancel dates on that tour because of lack of attendance. I guess his diverse sound and setlists combined with Roth and Sam era songs that had hardly ever been played before along with all the hits was too much for the Roth loving junkies to take in.

- To help promote the new tour and the fact that Van Halen really isn't dead? - Well, the tour with Roth is off. Sam doesn't want any part of it. They have a 15 year old bass player who's probably going to learn how to cut coke on the surface of an Eric Clapton record with his father instead of attending classes in 8th grade. So, again, not much point to that.

A salute to the fans? - I think I covered that one a page back but then again everybody already knows that it's all a big business with bands, A-Z. I don't care who they are. But to Eddie and Alex, the fans exist when tickets are on sale and albums reach platinum status. Oh yeah, his signature pedals, guitars, guitar picks, tab books and anything he can whore himself for, too.

At this point, I actually hope I look like a total moron when Van Halen hits the stage at the HOP induction and actually goes on tour this summer for saying these things.

Offline M i k e

• Gunslinger
But as someone who has kept up with the EVH saga...FUCK him.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes, I know there was a lot more to your post than that which I'm up to date with. But I can speak for myself when I say that if Slash, Duff, Scott, Dave or Matt turned Velvet Revolver (or whoever they may be with at the time) or themselves into what Ed turned the Van Halen situation into, I'd be saying the samething.

Offline tatiana

• Sniper Assassin
silly me...i always thought musicians actually get into the game for the MUSIC...i forgot we are dealing with egomaniacs!

anyways...it'll be cool to hear VR do the tribute at least plus I'm excited about patty smith, rem, and the ronettes.

Offline tomass74

• Sniper Assassin
  • http://www.myspace.com/wasted_talent69
    • Wasted Talent
too bad that Eddie VH is such a douche and he is always fighting with someone whether it's Dave, Sammy or Michael...

That being said I cannot wait to see VR play teh show.. I assume they will do a Dave song and a Sammy song.. If you ask m e, they should just do Dave songs because if there was just a Dave era they would have made it to the HOF.... If there was just a Sammy era they wouldn't.

Offline gnrslash49

• Target Practice
  • Alnico II
It will be on VH1 Classic Monday Match 12th starting at 830pm EST.  WOW ITS GUNNA ROCK SO HARD!!

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
If you ask m e, they should just do Dave songs because if there was just a Dave era they would have made it to the HOF.... If there was just a Sammy era they wouldn't.

Sounds like you subscribe to the DLR theory that there was no VH after he left (ADLR so to speak ;))

Regardless of WHAT they play, it will be nice to FINALLY see them playing something somewhere! ;)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Here's a little update on how we can follow the induction ceremony:

The induction ceremony will air live on March 12 on VH1 Classic, MHD (MTV Networks’ new high-definition music channel) and be simultaneously streamed without commercial interruption on AOL at http://spinner.aol.com/rockhall.

Source: http://www.kget.com/entertainment/story.aspx?content_id=6bcad305-10b9-4648-a38d-029f64902b99

And in other related news:
Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab
David Lee Roth not coming if he can't sing

Offline Bella

• Sniper Assassin
  • ~ sluff ~
And in other related news:
Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab
David Lee Roth not coming if he can't sing

This is gonna be one interesting ceremony...

EDIT: "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band who are only performing because they have some new record coming out do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver I'm not familiar with their music but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:31:49 AM by ILoveDuff! »

Offline X?X

• Sniper Assassin
as much as i love vr he does have a point there in SOME  aspects.
on the other hand vr arnt only doing it becuase of the new record but becuase they are showing appreciation to one of the greatest rock bands ever.

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
as much as i love vr he does have a point there in SOME  aspects.
on the other hand vr arnt only doing it becuase of the new record but becuase they are showing appreciation to one of the greatest rock bands ever.

he would have complained about ANYONE other than him performing VH songs at the HOF Induction...VR, RHCP, anyone....he's not happy b/c he doesn't get to do "his thang..."

Offline M i k e

• Gunslinger
Here's a shocker...  :roll:

Of the original band, only deposed bassist Michael Anthony will appear at the induction ceremony.
By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
March 9, 2007

How did that old Van Halen song go? "I found the simple life ain't so simple ... " The iconic Los Angeles metal band is set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a lavish New York banquet Monday night, but now it appears that only one original member, bassist Michael Anthony, will even show up.

David Lee Roth, the band's frontman for its first decade, said Thursday he will not attend the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel ceremony because event officials have turned down his repeated overtures to perform.

"I don't make speeches for a living; I sing and dance for my dinner," Roth said, adding that the decision to skip the event "rips my heart out."

The hall of fame's event organizers plan for Velvet Revolver to perform some Van Halen classics, much as Metallica stood in last year to play Black Sabbath songs while that band's members watched from the audience. "So it appears this is a television producer's decision," Roth said.

The choice of Velvet Revolver was in response to a sticky situation as far as what lineup of Van Halen could take the stage to perform with Roth. Van Halen's revered guitar hero, Eddie Van Halen, and his brother, drummer Alex, had already sent signals that they would not be in New York. The Van Halens have been in lock-down mode since their plans for a summer reunion tour with Roth collapsed last month. Roth said he last spoke to Eddie Van Halen's camp a week ago, and he said he could not determine the truth about reports that the guitarist is seeking help for alcohol problems.

"Ed is indisposed and working toward a better future here," Roth said. "If Ed ever dries up, this is going to be a stadium act, man.... What's happening here with this [New York event] is part and parcel of the same spiral that screwed up the tour."

Without the Brothers Van Halen, the Hall faced the prospect of putting Roth on stage with bass player Michael Anthony, who is the lone founding member expected to attend, and Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement in the band and longtime foil, who logged more than a decade as the band's frontman. Hagar confirmed Thursday he is attending.

Roth said Thursday he had been preparing since December for the chance to perform for the industry elite, the media and a television audience that will be watching the ceremony live on VH1 Classics.

"It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band who are only performing because they have some new record coming out do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver I'm not familiar with their music but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."

The other inductees this year are R.E.M., Patti Smith, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and the Ronettes. The 2007 inductees were chosen by the 600 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists are eligible for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after their first recording was released. The ceremony will also be streamed live on AOL at spinner.aol.com/rockhall.

Offline SlashsSweetchild

• Sniper Assassin
  • The Cool Twin who talked to Slash on the phone!

Offline M i k e

• Gunslinger
If you ask m e, they should just do Dave songs because if there was just a Dave era they would have made it to the HOF.... If there was just a Sammy era they wouldn't.

:|

They sold more records with Sam. They sold out more arena's and stadiums with Sam. There was actually song writting with Sam... A pretty important part of every band, in my opinion.

What started (and what ended) the Dave era was assless chaps and being too hammered on stage to remember lyrics while the rest of the band put on a clinic on innovative rock music. Then when Sammy came along, it was the complete opposite. It was a big party that everybody could get into and the band played better than ever... TOGETHER. I think that one era would have made it if the other didn't.

Offline rhyte

• Sniper Assassin
  • SL-U-VE-T, Bish.
Dave's an ass. While I can see that being inducted is huge as far as monuments to a bands career goes...VH has been unable to reconcile with Dave under any other circumstances for any length of time, so why should this event be different? Dave is no more entitled than Sammy to represent the band and I would hazzard to guess that of the two of them only Sammy would be capable of sharing the stage w/ Dave and not vice versa.

Offline Slashead

• Straight Shooter
Launch Radio Networks reports: VELVET REVOLVER has lined up two songs to perform for VAN HALEN at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Monday (March 12). The band will honor both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar by playing a song from their respective eras for Roth, VELVET REVOLVER will play 1978's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", and for Hagar they'll play "Runaround" from 1991.
In addition to the performance at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, VELVET REVOLVER frontman Scott Weiland and lead guitarist Slash will induct VAN HALEN into the Rock Hall.

Hagar and original VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony will be at the ceremony, but it's unknown whether they will join VELVET REVOLVER on stage for the songs.

Roth says he backed out of the event after he was told he couldn't perform with VELVET REVOLVER. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen announced yesterday that he's going into rehab, and drummer Alex Van Halen will stay close to home to offer his brother whatever help he can.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, which will also feature R.E.M., PATTI SMITH, THE RONETTES, and GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE, will air live on VH1 Classic beginning at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=68495
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:33:10 PM by Slashead »

Offline skotansky

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • STP+GNR=VELVET FUCK'N REVOLVER
    • MY SPACE
How Awesome!!  I only wish I could be there in person to see Velvet Revolver actually induct Van Halen.  Scott of all people, must really know what Eddie is going through. Addiction to alcohol is worse than addiction to heroin. I applaud Eddie, and all the members of Velvet Revolver, especially Scott.  As artists they have a special gift to share with the rest of us.  Its such a damn shame when abuse and addictions to drugs and alcohol destroy the wonderful God given talent that these musicians have.  "Rock and Roll...is From Soul"..........."Long Live Rock"

Offline M i k e

• Gunslinger
and for Hagar they'll play "Runaround" from 1991.

Oh DEAR GOD! That's awesome news! That's my favourite Sam era song. Although I really hope Sam steps in and helps out Scott with that one!  :lol:

Offline M i k e

• Gunslinger
There is only one way (outside of being nominated) that the public can attend the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony in New York this March.

A donation of $5,000 (or more) to The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will get you the "Opportunity to purchase Induction Ceremony tickets (based on availability)".

Find out more here: http://www.rockhall.com/community/donorcircle.asp

Last year, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum held a raffle for 4 pairs of tickets (8 tickets total). Raffle tickets at $100 a piece, gave you the chance to win one of those pairs. We have not heard if this is something they will repeat for 2007.

UPDATE Feb 7:
This year's induction ceremony at New York City's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel will be simulcast at 8 p.m. Monday, March 12, at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, 1 Key Plaza, Cleveland. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets, $10, go on sale at 10 a.m. today at the museum and Ticketmaster outlets, or charge by phone, 216-241-5555 (Cleveland) or 330-945-9400 (Akron).

UPDATE March 5:
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Auction
The Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York, NY
Mon, Mar 12, 2007 08:30 PM
Auction ends on Thu, 03/08/07 01:00 PM EST

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
They also had two auctions on ticketmaster with starting bids at $2,100 for 2 balcony seats and $3,100 for 2 floor seats...

or you can go here where the balcony tix are $2,875 and the floor tix are $7,475 ;) http://www.10best.com/Tickets/index.html?tnEID=9932&tnPID=237275

Offline Slashead

• Straight Shooter

Geoff Boucher of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame responded on Saturday (March 10) to David Lee Roth's public protests that he's been rudely snubbed.

The clock is ticking toward Monday night's induction of VAN HALEN into the Hall and, as of Saturday, Roth was standing by his pledge to skip the show, which will air live on VH1 Classic. The flamboyant rocker blames Hall officials who won't let him perform on the stage. But Joel Peresman, the Hall's president and CEO, said in a Saturday e-mail to the Los Angeles Times that Roth has told only part of the backstage story.

"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is sorry that David Lee Roth will not attend this year's induction of VAN HALEN. We offered him opportunities to play and sing a VAN HALEN song of his choice with our House band, including his own guitar player or a song with VELVET REVOLVER and he refused those opportunities."

The Roth camp says that the only offer they had received before Friday was an invitation to perform "You Really Got Me" with VELVET REVOLVER. Roth balked in part because that song, off VAN HALEN's first album, was originally recorded by the KINKS and is not a "true" VAN HALEN song.

Roth wanted to do his trademark tune, "Jump", but that was a curveball for VELVET REVOLVER, apparently, with rehearsal time limitations. Read more at the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...ewsitemID=68554