Author Topic: 2007-03-12 - Van Halen R&R Hall Of Fame Induction - Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City, NY, USA  (Read 100615 times)

Offline AxlReznor

• Sniper Assassin
  • Toasted Marshmallow
No actually they we're referring to the playing of slash too!  Nobody sounded good.
I know nobody will agree on this topic and it's getting really old.  I just think if you
thought that was a good performance...I wonder what your inpression of a bad vr
performance would sound like?

It would sound like GN'R when they were all far too fucked up on drink and drugs to be able to play at all, let alone well. :P
That, though, was only a bad performance if you were expecting them to make it exactly like the original version of the song... which, if anyone knows anything about Slash, you should have known wasn't going to happen.

Offline simba317

• Sniper Assassin
  • I heart Slash, Romyness and me twin!
    • My deviantArt Account
That, though, was only a bad performance if you were expecting them to make it exactly like the original version of the song... which, if anyone knows anything about Slash, you should have known wasn't going to happen.

No kidding...it was kinda like 'You *DO* know this is Slash, right?' :lol:

~simba_317

Offline claudia

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • duff4ever!!!
Hey guys!
Please,stop it now.VR don't deserve this. :( :no:

Offline cc4sc

• Gunslinger
No actually they we're referring to the playing of slash too!  Nobody sounded good.
I know nobody will agree on this topic and it's getting really old.  I just think if you
thought that was a good performance...I wonder what your inpression of a bad vr
performance would sound like?

WHAT!  Are you trying to suggest that VR can actually put on a 'bad' performance in their lifetime?  You seriously can't think anyone on here could think that could happen, right? :lol:

In my opinion it was a great peformance, They're not VH, they play Rock n' roll and they have their own style, it was cover and they did it in the way they wanted to do!!!!

I can't undersatand how so many people has been so pissed about this performance.

By this line of reasoning, which many others have shared, then it's easy to conclude that as long as VR is playing it, then the song (cover or not) can NOT be bad?   I mean, it's VR doing what VR does and playing R n' Roll, so it can not possibly be bad???

I think Vr was already judged before they even played...cuz no VH fan wanted to see VR they wanted VH which is totally understandable. Honestly, they should put their anger towards the commitee for not allowing Dave to sing.

You can make the same argument for the other side: VR was judged as great no matter what/how they played since they are VR?!?!

EDIT: Consecutive posts merged
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:38:01 PM by Sverre »

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
  • JEES-IT! Pulling out the arsenal! GO DO! SAC'TO!
beating.a.dead.horse.

some people liked it, some people didn't.  SEVENTEEN pages of this? agree to disagree and move on....seriously.

Offline cc4sc

• Gunslinger
Wendy!  Where are you and what happened to your post?
I deleted it.   I believe the dead horse has been beaten enough.   I will say this, Peebs I can attest that cc4sc is one of the biggest VR fans out there.    I've seen him rocking out front and center at almost all if not all of the 13 gigs he went to, seen part of his vast collection of concert memorabilia, his larger than life size VR billboard that once was displayed at Tower Records in Hollywood... just because he doesn't believe VR did their best on the VH performance should not be a reason to question his "fanness".   Is that even a word?   Blah anyhow I can't wait for the album to come out and for another public performance so that everyone can see how great they are.    I know this is going to be a very exciting year for the VR camp.   

Geez Wendy, I liked your original post better, it made me feel warm & fuzzy!  Nevertheless, thanks for the 'support' :D

BTW - If anyone is watching the rerun on VH1 this weekend, they've done some major editing and it's only 2.5 hours long as compared to 4 hours for the live version.  They rearranged some things and combined some stuff (like overlapping a speech and the live playing).  Coincidentally, much of VR's moments were cut out; like the intro to "ATBL" a lot of "Runaround" and a bit of their speech  :D

Offline Sam_So Fine

• Sniper Assassin
  • The Smart Twin!
I don't know if anyone heard this yet, but here is the audio from when Velvet Revolver were in the press room.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3z2ymkyoywr

They asked them about GNR, and if Slash is looking forward to his induction in the future.  :lol:

Thanks to AllThaStuff from VHlinks.com
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:08:44 PM by Sam_So Fine »

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
I don't know if anyone heard this yet, but here is the audio from when Velvet Revolver were in the press room.

They asked them about GNR, and if Slash is looking forward to his induction in the future.  :lol:

Thanks Sammy!!! Wonder what happened to the rest though b/c duff gets cut off right in mid sentence!

Hard to hear some of the stuff that they were saying (the press) but hilarious when they asked Slash if he was looking forward to his induction in a few years and his reply was "Sure." and Scotty says "Man of few words." priceless!

Offline simba317

• Sniper Assassin
  • I heart Slash, Romyness and me twin!
    • My deviantArt Account
Saul? There's a lot of Sauls in New York, none in this group though...

I LOVED THAT!

~simba_317

Offline Sam_So Fine

• Sniper Assassin
  • The Smart Twin!

Thanks Sammy!!! Wonder what happened to the rest though b/c duff gets cut off right in mid sentence!

Hard to hear some of the stuff that they were saying (the press) but hilarious when they asked Slash if he was looking forward to his induction in a few years and his reply was "Sure." and Scotty says "Man of few words." priceless!

Your Welcome. I wonder if there was video of this. Looked for it on youtube and came up with nothing.

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
Thanks Sammy!

Trying not to be bitter about the fact that they specifically asked Slash about "his" future induction rather than including Duff and Matt in it.  But other than that it was interesting.  Kind of frustrating when you couldn't hear the questions though.

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
Trying not to be bitter about the fact that they specifically asked Slash about "his" future induction rather than including Duff and Matt in it. 

Well they asked Slash that when he was at the mic, and it sounded like duff moved to the mic to answer the question about GMF and the Furious 5 being inducted, and since the interview clip cut off duff mid sentence, we don't know what the rest of the interview was, so maybe they DID ask them, and we just didn't get to hear it ;)

Offline rhyte

• Sniper Assassin
  • SL-U-VE-T, Bish.
^^^^
^^^^^

Yeah, Slash fixated as I am, that may well have been just a matter of circumstance cuz he's not actually getin in alone at least not at first! :wink:

Offline SlashARG

• Gunslinger
Is there any video available of this?? Can't find it anywhere!!

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
Trying not to be bitter about the fact that they specifically asked Slash about "his" future induction rather than including Duff and Matt in it. 

Well they asked Slash that when he was at the mic, and it sounded like duff moved to the mic to answer the question about GMF and the Furious 5 being inducted, and since the interview clip cut off duff mid sentence, we don't know what the rest of the interview was, so maybe they DID ask them, and we just didn't get to hear it ;)
Maybe.  As I said I'm just being bitter.

That reminds me, obviously it'll be a few more years yet but what are the chances of STP being inducted?

Offline tatiana

• Sniper Assassin
i was flipping through and caught the re-air/remixed performance which ended up better for some reason.

Offline Slashead

• Straight Shooter
That reminds me, obviously it'll be a few more years yet but what are the chances of STP being inducted?
I don't know exactly what are the criterions to be inducted but there is one thing that won't help STP's induction : they were big in the US but in Europe they are almost unknown.

Offline VR fan88

• Gunslinger
  • You cant escape this beast inside
Well, Stp has to be a band for over 25 yrs...and that hasnt happened yet soo we can just wait n see...It might be a long time before they get inducted..Id laugh if they got inducted with Pearl Jam/Nirvana/and Alice in Chains...the 3 bands they were ridiculed of sounding like.

Offline Just_Me

• Staff
I think its 25 years after their debut was released, which would be 2017.  So yeah, a little while yet but I was wondering if there were any other requirements, like a certian number of albums sold.

Although having people still care about you 25 years later is impressive in itself.