Author Topic: 2007-03-12 - Van Halen R&R Hall Of Fame Induction - Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City, NY, USA  (Read 96855 times)

Offline Daisy518

• Straight Shooter
I heard this on the radio this morning, but I wasn't sure until I found this article:

Velvet Revolver to perform for & induct Van Halen into Rock Hall Of Fame

Velvet Revolver has been tapped for Van Halen's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The band will perform in Van Halen's place, and singer Scott Weiland and guitarist Slash will speak on Van Halen's behalf. For now, it doesn't look like David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar will join Velvet Revolver onstage, and Michael Anthony hasn't commented yet. It's still unknown whether Eddie and Alex Van Halen will attend the ceremony.

Velvet Revolver just finished recording their new album, titled Libertad. It should be out this summer, and the band has South American dates with Aerosmith in April and a possible U.S. tour in May.

Hagar had originally told us that he thought the job of inducting Van Halen into the Rock Hall would go to his friend and sometime drummer Chad Smith's group: "I was told that they were gonna get the Chili Pepp -- trying to get the (Red Hot) Chili Peppers to induct us. And I shouldn't, maybe shouldn't be saying this (chuckles), but... letting the cat out of the bag... I said, 'Chad, I think they're gonna ask you guys to do it.' He's going, 'Great, man!' (laughs)" )

Smith regularly joins Hagar onstage at the singer's Cabo Wabo Cantina in Mexico, and Hagar told us that he, Smith, and Michael Anthony are thinking about making a record under the name Chicken Foot.

http://www.therockradio.com/2007/03/velvet-revolver-to-perform-for-and.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:50:39 PM by IN UTERO »

Offline Jarno

• Sniper Assassin
That's cool, just like Metallica paying tribute to Black Sabbath at last years ceremony.

Offline Bella

• Sniper Assassin
  • ~ sluff ~
So what are the chances the tickets to this thing will surface on ebay and be like 20 bucks ;)  :lol:

Offline N19

• Sniper Assassin

Offline BShea

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flies in the Vasoline We Are
    • UltimateRockGods.com
I hope someone records this

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Can't find anything about it being televised in recent years, but it seems like it will be broadcast on radio...

Mar 12, 2007

2007 Induction Simulcast

The Museum will host a live broadcast of the 22nd Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony beginning at 8:00 p.m. (doors open at 7 p.m.). Exhibits will be open to tour during the event. Tickets are $10 and are available at the Museum box office and through Ticketmaster. The 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame “Performer” Inductees are Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, R.E.M., The Ronettes, Patti Smith and Van Halen. This event is presented by Labatt, Bacardi USA, WXRK (K-ROCK) and WNCX 98.5FM.

http://www.rockhall.com/calendar

Offline Jarno

• Sniper Assassin
VH1 will probably televise this ceremony like they did last year...

Offline Daisy518

• Straight Shooter

Thursday, March 1st, 2007
For the first time ever, VH1 Classic will air the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony LIVE on Monday, March 12 at 8:30 PM/ET. Music fans will get to see and hear Van Halen, R.E.M., Patti Smith, The Ronettes, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five get inducted into this esteemed musical institution as the action and music unfolds.

For the first time, this year's induction ceremony will be telecast live from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City on VH1 Classic and MHD: MTV Networks' high-definition music channel on Monday, March 12 at 8:30 PM/ET. In addition, a special two-hour highlight edition will premiere on VH1 on Saturday, March 17 at 9:00 PM/ET.

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/84/18084.php
I don't know how many people get these channels though.

Offline Peebs

• Sniper Assassin
  • 5/17/08 Columbus OH!
I get it, DD gets it. I think VH1 Classic is part of cable package on Cablevision

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
  • JEES-IT! Pulling out the arsenal! GO DO! SAC'TO!
Oh you know that I'll be burning/taping many many copies ;-)

Offline Peebs

• Sniper Assassin
  • 5/17/08 Columbus OH!
Can you set the DVD player's timer?

In case I suddenly feel the need to have a drink at the Waldorf?

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
Can you set the DVD player's timer?

Yes...I'll do a practice run before just to make sure ;-)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator

That's terrific! Hopefully, we'll get a HD rip of the VR parts :mrgreen:

Offline duffdiver

• Sniper Assassin
If you walk me thru it Sverre, you know that I will be more than happy to do it!

Offline metallex78

• Straight Shooter
That's really cool, although Slash's style is nothing llike Eddie Van Halen's, so it's a bit odd to see VR inducting them.

With Metallica you can hear the Black Sabbath influence, so they were fitting to perform to induct them, whereas VR or even GN'R, is different to Van Halen. I've never seen any finger tapping from Slash.

But I suppose there's not many other bands that have Van Halen as a direct influence either, and if it means we get to see VR play live, I'm all for it regardless! :headbanger:

Offline metallex78

• Straight Shooter
I wonder what Van Halen song(s) they'll play?

I'm guessing something like You Really Got Me (which is a cover anyway), because that would suit Scott's vocals.

Offline VR fan88

• Gunslinger
  • You cant escape this beast inside
You know whatd be amazing if Slash busted out with Eruption in the beg. I'd cream my pants...but idk if Slash could do it...who knows :D

Offline Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Global Moderator
    • http://europein28days.blogspot.com/

I don't know how many songs each band usually plays at these things, but I'm guessing the Roth era and the Hagar era will each have at least one song.  So my guesses are: Jump and Poundcake.

Offline metallex78

• Straight Shooter

I don't know how many songs each band usually plays at these things, but I'm guessing the Roth era and the Hagar era will each have at least one song.  So my guesses are: Jump and Poundcake.

That Jump solo is full of finger tapping, and as much as I'm sure Slash could handle it, it's just not Slash's style. I still find VR playing Van Halen very odd, Slash is very of a blues player than metal shredder...

Offline Limberly

• Staff
This is awesome!  I only hope Van Halen can get themselves together, long enough, to be there.   Should be interesting.  Can't wait to see it!   

Offline Dead Flower

• Straight Shooter
  • ... bees only thrive when the honey is there ...
    • My Velvet Revolver Youtube Vid's
Slash is a completely different guitar player to Eddie (thank god) and Scott is a completely different singer to Diamond Dave (thank god) so this makes zero sense to me.

Frankly, I think Van Halen and it's band members are a washed-up joke nowadays. I'd prefer VR to steer clear of any association with them.

The only good thing about it will be the free publicity the band and the new album will get. Every article that reports this news will no doubt have a paragraph about how VR have a new album coming out soon.

Offline Slashead

• Straight Shooter
It's a very postive news. It'll bring a lot of recognition to the band.

Offline Rik

• Gunslinger
    • http://www.velvet-revolver.com
So... the press release says it's in New York, the Rock Hall Of Fame and Museum are in Cleveland... where will the performance be?

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/05003E42EBAF71CA?artistid=1102957&majorcatid=10005&minorcatid=0

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
I posted about the event at the museum in Cleveland yesterday, and I think they might show the broadcast on a big screen or something. Reading it again today, I might have jumped the gun assuming there will be a radio broadcast of the ceremony just because two radio stations sponsor the event at the museum...