Author Topic: Some guitar questions...  (Read 6750 times)

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
I`m thinking of buying a Gibson Les Paul but there are so many different kinds of them.
What is the difference between the models? I mean for ex, standard, classic and custom? Is there a big difference between standard and custom reissues?
My next question is, if Im buying one from ex. Ebay how can I be sure it`s in good condition and is really a genuine Gibson I`m buying? There are so many different price levels for Gibson LP on Ebay so Im a bit suspicious.

Hoping for some answers....  :D

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
Personally, I wouldn't buy guitars from eBay. Amps are a bit different, because you can see pics of the inside.

Anyways, in the case of Les Pauls, you have four ranks. Junior, Classic, Standard, Custom..all with varying wood qualities and pickup qualities.

What's your budget?

Also, I wouldn't go for any of the "new" versions of Les Pauls, I.E. The BFG, or the "Menace" and such. They're all advertised all awesome..but suck. There isn't much difference from a Classic to a Standard..slightly different woods on the top, and different pickups..but personally I like the Classic more.

If you have a pretty big budget I HIGHLY recommend this one.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Standards/Standard%20LE/

They're beautiful and really do sound AWESOME.

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie
If on eBay, the seller put on a picture of the serial code, you could always email Gibson with it and ask. Theres alot of ways to tell if a Gibson is fake or not, and there'd be alot of people that could and would help you with that (Gibson forum etc).

As the guy above me said, the newer Les Pauls are pretty crap...not sure about the GT though, looks pretty interesting.

Customs are only bought through the Custom Shop and they cost more. Also they have different pickups to Standards (I think). They're a bit brighter sounding. Also they have all the extra fancy stuff (back and headstock binding, block inlays, ebony fretboard, etc).

Classics are meant to be somewhat similar to the 1960 LP...with the 60's slim taper neck, already installed pickguard, yellower inlays (to simulate wear). Pickups are also different than those of Standards. They've got the Classic Antique and the Classic Custom now....not sure what the Antique is all about but the Classic Custom is meant to replicate an LP Custom from the late 50s or early 60s or something (I think it was '57).

The Custom Reissues or...VOS (Vintage Original Spec.) are pretty good in the LP side of things I think. It's just, more attention is paid when making them and they also try to replicate the old LPs.

LP Studios are really just a Standard without binding and that stuff. They've got a different pickup combo and it's quite highly acclaimed. Colours might not suit you though.

Thats about it...if you have any more questions feel free to ask...and good choice of guitar :).

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
Well what I can see a good LP costs from about 1600 USD and I guess that is what I should pay to get a genuine good guitar.
But on Ebay they are selling LP (Gibson) for about 550 USD and even less then that. And they have serial code and looks really reliable.
For ex. this one:
http://www.ebay.se/viItem?ItemId=170067403399

How is the sounding differences between standard, classics and reissues (58`59`and 60`)? I mean do you really hear the difference?

Thanks for your answers.

8)

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie
Yeah I'm pretty sure they all have different pickups, so yes there is a sonic difference.. Standards with Burstbuckers, Classics with 496R (neck) and 500T (bridge) or 57' Classics. Reissues have different Burstbuckers or something like that I think...they were also moving the VOS onto something else too..

You'd be better off emailing Gibson if you want accurate answers though!

That eBay thing...just to clarify, that one is NOT a Reissue, it's just a Classic...there's a difference. To be honest I can't see anything wrong with that guitar, it seems real enough. The only thing is the Volume/Tone knobs shouldn't be black. The knobs they have there look like they're from a Studio or Custom or something...also the Pickup selector shouldn't be black either.

Weird, but the rest of the guitar looks pretty legit. You might want to email the seller asking about the knobs and selector. Also, remember that everyone else is eyeing the guitar too, so the price will go up no doubt.

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
Well what I can see a good LP costs from about 1600 USD and I guess that is what I should pay to get a genuine good guitar.
But on Ebay they are selling LP (Gibson) for about 550 USD and even less then that. And they have serial code and looks really reliable.
For ex. this one:
http://www.ebay.se/viItem?ItemId=170067403399

How is the sounding differences between standard, classics and reissues (58`59`and 60`)? I mean do you really hear the difference?

Thanks for your answers.

8)

As the guy above me said, the knobs and pickup selector shouldn't be black. That means that somewhere, someone replaced them..and if they replaced those parts, who knows what else could have been changed?

This is why I choose not to buy guitars off eBay, because you never know exactly when someone is telling the truth.

If you have the money, this would be an excellent buy

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Limited_W0QQitemZ260072049770QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as does this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-1990-Limited-Colours-Edition_W0QQitemZ130065497737QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and THIS

would be the ultimate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-LES-PAUL-LIMITED-EDITION-MANHATTAN-MIDNIGHT-NEW_W0QQitemZ170067393963QQihZ007QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

^ I kinda wanna buy that myself..but I have no need to..plenty of guitars already.

:D

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
First, thanks a lot for your answers.

I guess buying from Ebay is`nt that reliable....

When did LP:s start to get bad? I heard LP until about 2002 are pretty good or should I look for even older LP:s?
How about newer reissues, is there same thing about them? Or is the newer LP:s general crap?

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie
I don't think LP's are "bad" now but there's definitely ones that shouldn't have gotten through quality control. There were generally more "crap" guitar in the 70s. Norlin had just bought Gibson and they were making 3 piece necks and (in some cases) 4 piece tops and all that. Having said that, there were still many gems from that era.

I haven't heard anyone say anything about the current LP Custom Shop Reissues so they're pretty good apparently.

The bottom line is, there will always be guitars that are crap and others that are good. But there's always going to be more complaints than praises. The best thing to do is just to play it before you buy it. That way you know exactly what you're getting.

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
Ok so Custom Shop Reissues should be a good choice? They seems a bit better than new Standards I guess....

I was a little confused when I saw a Gibson LP replica on a site in my country. I cant see the difference between that one and a genuine Gibson LP. It even has Gibson logo.... Since I dont know that much about guitars I`m being a little bit worried.

Here it is:

http://www.blocket.se/vi/10088712.htm?ca=15_s

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie
The Standards are generally fine...just the CS ones are better.

That looks like one of the Chinese plywood copies on ebay.

You can tell because there are 3 screws on the truss rod cover. All genuine Gibsons have 2. Also the bridge on the copies would have screwdriver slots whereas Gibsons don't. And the inlays look all wrong too. I would not buy that guitar.

And if I'm not mistaken, I think it says "Gibsun" on the headstock :lol:.

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
Aha, hehe yes I think it does... Did`nt see that  :lol:
No no, I`m not going to buy that guitar. I want a genuine Gibson.... I was just a little confused since it look so similar to a real Gibson.

Yes, but they also costs more I think (CS-models). But I think it`s worth it....

Offline Darkburst

New Standards and Classics can have multi-piece mahogany bodies that are glued together. They also have a bunch of holes drilled in them that are covered up by the maple cap for weight relief. After owning a few Standards I've switched to Historics from the Custom Shop only. Yeah, they're more expensive... but they're also made from better wood and generally have a better build quality. I suggest getting a used 58 reissue.

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie
And CS reissues have the long neck tenon too...more sustain.

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
Well if you've got the budget, which I'm guessing you do..talking about CS Les Pauls and such, I'd suggest looking up Ed Roman in Las Vegas, NV. www.edromanguitars.com He and his shop do REALLY REALLY nice custom work..check the site..you can see great examples. I'm having him build me a neck-thru Non Reverse Firebird. I went to Gibson with the design..but they wouldn't do it exactly the way I wanted. Ed lets you do..just that, whatever you want.

Mine is gunna have a white korina back, and a spalted maple top, a Fernandes Sustainer system, locking tuners, Floyd Rose, special inlays, phase switching..AAH it's gunna be sweet..only a few more days..!

=)

But really, I'd check him out.

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
Yeah  a `58 reissue is what I think I want. Seems like a good choise.
But I was thinking about the weight between the different models. Is there a big difference or is it something I should not worry about?

SuedePistol,
that seems like a really nice guitar! Please show us some pictures when you get it  :D

I will look at his site. But first a stupid question, is he actually doing genuine Gibson-guitars also.....?  :oops:

Offline Darkburst

Ed Roman has the worst reputation. Check any mainstream guitar message board like The Gear Page, Harmony Central and The Les Paul Forum and you'll find that he's a very unscrupulous character. Contact him at your own risk!

As far as weight goes I've noticed that the 59 reissues tend to get some of the lighter wood. There's a lot of them in the 9lbs or less range. That's not to say that there aren't any light 57s, 58s or 60s out there. I've seen quite a few. If you're going to buy used and live in the US I suggest checking out http://www.marksguitarloft.com or look in the classifieds section of http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/.

Offline Dutchizzy

• Sniper Assassin
    • red
I'm playing two Epiphones, a black Les Paul Custom and a black Wildkat (hollowbody) and for me they're great guitars and not as expensive as Gibson even though they're the real deal..

www.epiphone.com

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
Ed Roman has the worst reputation. Check any mainstream guitar message board like The Gear Page, Harmony Central and The Les Paul Forum and you'll find that he's a very unscrupulous character. Contact him at your own risk!

You know, I thought of that too before going to him. I heard some really really bad things, like shitty customer service and all that. But he's been the nicest guy ever to me. Got me to meet Paul Rodgers and Brian May from Queen, and paid for my dinner at The Rainbow. He took alot of his time to help me pick the right woods and such for MY guitar.

The thing with the forums and such, it's like..how many of them have actually had a personal experience with him? Personally, he's been nothing but cool to me.

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
Does Standard models weight more than reissues or is it different weight depending on what year the guitar is made?

Im not living in the US so I`m not sure if I can buy guitars from these guys?
Ill have a look in my country first I think.

I considered an Epiphone too, they seems really nice but I`m for sure gonna have this guitar for a long time and I want a Gibson so I think I will buy such a guitar anyway.

Wow, did you actually got to meet those guys from queen???!! That is awesome!

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
Yeah it was cool.

Certain models weigh more than others, but they're within like, ounces of each other for the most part.

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie
Generally Standard models weigh more than the Reissues because the Reissues get the best quality wood.

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
you want info on gibson les pauls talk to kriss_boy.

Offline schreck

• Target Practice
Generally Standard models weigh more than the Reissues because the Reissues get the best quality wood.

Does it really depend on the quality, or do they simply use more maple and less mahogany? That might be a great deal cheaper...

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie

Does it really depend on the quality, or do they simply use more maple and less mahogany? That might be a great deal cheaper...

Nah I'm pretty sure it's the quality that differs. Although thickness is different alot of the time, I still doubt that's because of the ratio of wood materials.

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
surely the older guitars would be heavier, the wood they used in 59 for example was compressed heavily making those guitars stupidly heavy.