Author Topic: Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II  (Read 5533 times)

Offline JonnyVR

• Gunslinger
  • Belfast Odyssey Arena- 8th June 2005
As I'm sure a number of people on the forum know, these are the pick-ups Slash uses in a lot of his guitars these days.  I'm considering buying the bridge one and I'm wondering if anyone here owns it.  Apart from giving the "Slash tone", is it versatile?  Is it worth the money?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
As I'm sure a number of people on the forum know, these are the pick-ups Slash uses in a lot of his guitars these days.  I'm considering buying the bridge one and I'm wondering if anyone here owns it.  Apart from giving the "Slash tone", is it versatile?  Is it worth the money?

I put them in my les paul. Personally, I think they're great. I've played other les pauls with different Gibson pickups and some other pickups but the Seymour Duncans always sounded the best. If I were you I'd buy both position pickups too. My neck pickup has got the nicest harmonics I've ever heard. They handle rhythm and soloing just like you'd think. Bass-y low end always sounds good, high notes and solos are crisp, cleans are great too. Both pickups sound great.

Offline Darkburst

Cpt TopHat is right. They sound best as a set, The bridge is nice, not my favorite but it's good. The neck is REALLY sweet. If you're using a Les Paul, the middle position is excellent as well. However, I'm really digging the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage sets in my Les Pauls. They're as close as you're going to get to a bad-ass set of real PAF's without searching through a bunch of vintage ones.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Seymour Duncan also makes pickups with more output to them, like the Customs that soud really great. If you're looking at a moderate output, the SD Pearly Gates are good, the Alnicos. Gibson BurstBuckers also have a nice moderate output, Joe Perry uses them. I can't say I know tha pickups Darkburst is talking about, I'm not very diverse with my pickups, but those ones ^ are all ones I've played and all sound pretty awesome. (p.s. take Darkburt's advice into consideration, he knows his shit!)

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
How much do the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's cost? IN CAN. My friend said $140 :S

And I've looked for them in my local music shops, but cant find them. They sell fenders/gibsons/EMG. Would I have to get them to order?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
How much do the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's cost? IN CAN. My friend said $140 :S

And I've looked for them in my local music shops, but cant find them. They sell fenders/gibsons/EMG. Would I have to get them to order?

mine were about 200 each (can.)And they had one at my local guitar shop, they dont normally keep that model in stock though.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

Offline dikovdef

• Straight Shooter
  • All about the blues baby!
my mate was tellin me the other day,he said sd alnico pro 2's are pretty much replicating the sound of the 59 gibson lp,is that right?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
SDs have slightly hotter output, but there's definite '59 LP consideration into the design.

Offline mickslogun

• Sniper Assassin
    • Smoke Screens
regarding cost, google search 'thomann' and buy them there. I got both of mine with shipping for 130 euros, when they would have cost me 90 each in store.