Author Topic: guitar question  (Read 1934 times)

Offline mtngrl7500

• Straight Shooter
    • Me, me, me
I used to play guitar eons ago and have decided to start playing again.  I had originally started with an electric, but I just want to go with an acoustic now.  I've found one that I absolutely love...it's an Epiphone Masterbilt, model AJ-500RC 12-Fret (link to pic http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=247&CollectionID=15).  Okay, here's the question...this guitar is just a wee bit out of my price range (go between $700-800), and I'm wondering if any of you know of something similar in a lower price range.  I'm open to any suggestions...so far I have only been looking online since any music store is at least an hour away.  Since I do have to drive a bit, I want to have some things in mind for when I do go to look and try them out.  I'm not looking to ever play professionally, it will just be for my own personal enjoyment, but I'd still like something nice that has a good sound quality and that will hold up for a long time.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
I used to play guitar eons ago and have decided to start playing again.  I had originally started with an electric, but I just want to go with an acoustic now.  I've found one that I absolutely love...it's an Epiphone Masterbilt, model AJ-500RC 12-Fret (link to pic http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=247&CollectionID=15).  Okay, here's the question...this guitar is just a wee bit out of my price range (go between $700-800), and I'm wondering if any of you know of something similar in a lower price range.  I'm open to any suggestions...so far I have only been looking online since any music store is at least an hour away.  Since I do have to drive a bit, I want to have some things in mind for when I do go to look and try them out.  I'm not looking to ever play professionally, it will just be for my own personal enjoyment, but I'd still like something nice that has a good sound quality and that will hold up for a long time.

Whatever you buy, go to the store and play it. Epiphone has some pretty nice acoustics in that price range as well, Blueridge make some very nice guitars. Other brands I would recommend are Guild and Cort.

Offline mtngrl7500

• Straight Shooter
    • Me, me, me
Thanks...and I'm definately going to play them first.  It's just that since all the shops are so far away, I want to make the trip worth the drive by having some brands and styles in mind for when I do go to look at them.  It's probably been 15 years since I've played, and I'm not up on which brands are okay and which are not.  I just don't want to go into it blind and end up getting sold a piece of crap and get charged to much for it, you know?  :)

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Thanks...and I'm definately going to play them first.  It's just that since all the shops are so far away, I want to make the trip worth the drive by having some brands and styles in mind for when I do go to look at them.  It's probably been 15 years since I've played, and I'm not up on which brands are okay and which are not.  I just don't want to go into it blind and end up getting sold a piece of crap and get charged to much for it, you know?  :)

Music stores that are part of a chain of stores i would stay away from. Private owned stores usually have people in them that just play guitar, and know what they're talking about. Epiphone is a pretty good brand for that price of acoustics. Same with Cort and Guild. Blueridge guitars are normally a bit more pricey (at least in Canada :D).

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Takamine are also great guitars.