Author Topic: Exposed Pickups  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Darkburst

I had the urge to take the covers off of the pickups on my faded tobacco burst R9:

Added new pic:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:47:31 AM by Darkburst »

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
I liked it better before. But you can never really make a les paul look bad. although i don't really like pickguards on les pauls.

Offline Darkburst

Reissues come with pickguards on already, just like the originals. I prefer them that way, otherwise they look to PRS and not Gibson enough to me. What can I say? I'm old school kind of guy.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
wow, those are some really nice pickups. that pickguard is really white. almost too white. My les paul has a black pickup in the bridge position, and a zebra in the neck

Offline Darkburst

It's not really that white, the sunlight just blew out the contrast a bit. It has the normal Reissue light cream color. It's not as Barbie-flesh colored as the USA Standard pickguards. The pickups are the 'Slash' Alnico II Pros wound by MJ at the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop. They're basically Alnico II Pros with a scatter wind and built with Antiquity hardware. After trying many pickups, these are the ones that are staying in for good.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
It's not really that white, the sunlight just blew out the contrast a bit. It has the normal Reissue light cream color. It's not as Barbie-flesh colored as the USA Standard pickguards. The pickups are the 'Slash' Alnico II Pros wound by MJ at the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop. They're basically Alnico II Pros with a scatter wind and built with Antiquity hardware. After trying many pickups, these are the ones that are staying in for good.

same ones i got. i figured the colour was fucked a bit by the light. it looks great though

Offline Slash VR Duff

• Sniper Assassin
  • 10-5-06 and 11-27-06
:drooling: Beautiful guitar, I wish I had that  :lol:

EDIT: I'm not crazy, I'm just a sucker for guitars  :lol:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:46:50 PM by Slash VR Duff »

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
When you take the nickel pick up covers off... does it change the sound? Or just for looks?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
When you take the nickel pick up covers off... does it change the sound? Or just for looks?

from my experience no, but that's just my guitar.

Offline schreck

• Target Practice

It should bring the high frequencies out more clearly. Metal caps, no matter if it's nickel or german silver, swallow up high frequencies. Like basically anything interesting does...
but it depends muchly on the thickness of the material.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

It should bring the high frequencies out more clearly. Metal caps, no matter if it's nickel or german silver, swallow up high frequencies. Like basically anything interesting does...
but it depends muchly on the thickness of the material.

Yeah, I agree with that. But it's really much much more of an asthetic thing than a sound thing. Still cool if you ask me. Lots and lots of pickups have the covers attached to the actual pickup. I only had the covers taken off when I bought new pickups.