Author Topic: Les Paul Question  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Ok, I have a les Paul copy. not an Ep. ITs an MRW Les Paul. But my main question is.

How high do the strings have to be from the humbuckers for the best tone quality. I've hear if you have the strings to high or low, it reduces tone quality. I was just wondering. I couldnt find anything how the measurements are.

I ask this because I have risen the action abit.

Offline Darkburst

Ok, I have a les Paul copy. not an Ep. ITs an MRW Les Paul. But my main question is.

How high do the strings have to be from the humbuckers for the best tone quality. I've hear if you have the strings to high or low, it reduces tone quality. I was just wondering. I couldnt find anything how the measurements are.

I ask this because I have risen the action abit.

There's no solid answer. The best thing to do is raise or lower the pickups until you're happy with the sound. 'Good tone' is like 'favorite ice cream flavor', everybody likes something different.

Offline Will

• Sniper Assassin
what type of tone are you looking for?

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Oh. No. I just remember reading that Gibson had a standard setting for how high/low the humbuckers/pickuos should be. I like the tone I have I was just asking :P

Offline Will

• Sniper Assassin
oh ok. i though that you were trying to imitate another tone.....

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Nah. I did that for awhile. But then I just have found my own sound.... in a way. But ya. I was just wondering thanks tho.

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
Oh. No. I just remember reading that Gibson had a standard setting for how high/low the humbuckers/pickuos should be. I like the tone I have I was just asking :P

Kinda.. when the guitars are produced they are often set up and the tech doing that will jus set it up how he probably would play it. Although factory set ups usually suck.

I usually lower the action as low as it can go without buzzing... then raise it slightly up to a decent comfortable height.

Offline JonnyVR

• Gunslinger
  • Belfast Odyssey Arena- 8th June 2005
Emm I have another Les Paul related question and rather than start another topic, I thought I'd just post it here. 

Could someone please tell me how heavy a Gibson Les Paul is compared to an Epiphone Les Paul?

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Emm I have another Les Paul related question and rather than start another topic, I thought I'd just post it here. 

Could someone please tell me how heavy a Gibson Les Paul is compared to an Epiphone Les Paul?

Epiphone is about 9.5 pounds, the Gibson is about 11

Offline Darkburst

Les Paul weights are all over the place. New Gibson Les Pauls can be anywhere from 7lbs feather weights to 12.5lbs boat anchors. Wood of the same size can vary greatly in weight. I personally have owned 6 different Les Paul that were all with an ounce or two of 9lbs. My two 59 reissues are just a hair under 9lbs which the average weight of the real 50's Les Pauls. Try a bunch out and buy the one that sounds the best and is the most comfortable to you.