Author Topic: New Amp Arrived: KICKS ASS!  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Darkburst

Here she is with my R9's and my woman's drums:

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
That's pretty. Nice lookin set-up. is that a 1960 cab?

Offline Darkburst

It's a 1960av cab. I'll probably swipe the Vintage 30's out of it and get a matching Splawn 4x12.

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Never heard of Splawn? Head looks like a Marshall tho. Is it supposed to be like, a cheaper company of Marshall or something?

Offline Darkburst

Never heard of Splawn? Head looks like a Marshall tho. Is it supposed to be like, a cheaper company of Marshall or something?

The guy who builds these will make them look however you want. I asked for a JCM 800 style looking head. It's actually a little more expensive and much better sounding than any Marshall on the market. This is what the Marshall JCM 2000 series should have sounded like. My Splawn cost $1750, but it's hand assembled using only the best parts with custom cosmetics. If you've ever seen the inside of a new Marshall you'd see it looks more like a cheap PC rather than a quality tube amp. This bad boy can also perfectly capture the Appetite For Destruction hot rodded Marshall sound that Slash had. I've owned several Marshall amps including the 2555 that the Slash Sig model is based on, and the Splawn blows it out of the water. You can check out some clips on Scott Splawns site:

http://splawnguitars.com/sound_clips.htm

Offline Will

• Sniper Assassin
oh you lucky bastard....i love those guitars....damn! :D

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Those are some damn fine les pauls

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
If you're gonna buy the Splawn cab, I'll buy your marshall. I've been looking to get a cheap 1960 cab. you gonna sell it after you get your new one???

Offline Darkburst

If I get the Splawn cab, I'm probably going to take the Vintage 30's from the Marshall. Obviously this cab has been gigged like crazy by previous owners and the speakers are nice and broken in. New Vintage 30's can sound a little harsh, these sound nice and sweet. I'd probably sell the empty cab for super cheap if I do that though.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
If I get the Splawn cab, I'm probably going to take the Vintage 30's from the Marshall. Obviously this cab has been gigged like crazy by previous owners and the speakers are nice and broken in. New Vintage 30's can sound a little harsh, these sound nice and sweet. I'd probably sell the empty cab for super cheap if I do that though.

Oh. The only way you can get Vintage 30's in Canada is in amps. They don't sell just the speakers anymore in Canada.

Offline Darkburst

I just bought four Scumback speakers to replace my Vintage 30's. These speakers are great, they sound just like the original 30 pre-Rola Celestions found in Marshall 4x12's from the late 60's. They Vintage 30's sound pretty lifeless in comparison. I'll be selling the V30's by next weekend. I was lucky enough to get these used at a lower price since they cost $165 each new!

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I just bought four Scumback speakers to replace my Vintage 30's. These speakers are great, they sound just like the original 30 pre-Rola Celestions found in Marshall 4x12's from the late 60's. They Vintage 30's sound pretty lifeless in comparison. I'll be selling the V30's by next weekend. I was lucky enough to get these used at a lower price since they cost $165 each new!

nice. i'll check that out, I need to replace my speakers so...

Offline EVH_slash

• Target Practice
you're Splawn looks really cool dude :D

Do you have any recording equipment so we could hear it?

Offline Darkburst

you're Splawn looks really cool dude :D

Do you have any recording equipment so we could hear it?

My mics, mic cables and power supplies are in storage. I probably won't be getting them until I move in January. Check out the link I posted earlier. Those Splawn Quick Rod clips are pretty much what mine sounds like. Hot rodded Marshall tones!

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
just listened to those sound clips, holy fuck those sound amazing.

here's a fuckin dumbass question, how versatile is the amp? Single channel?

Offline Darkburst

It's two channels. They just updated the clean channel and gave it it's own preamp tube. Now the cleans are crisp with as much headroom as you'll ever need. The OD channel has three modes or 'gears'... gear 1 is hot rodded plexi, very open sounding and good for AC/DC, Zeppelin to early Van Halen. Gear 2 is a hot rodded JCM800 2203 tone, good for classic G N R or other 80's hard rock. Gear three is super hot rodded 2203 tone, that gear has too much gain for my normal needs though it's fun to play chuggah-chuggah type riffs on. Also each OD channel has an two modes, OD 1 and a more saturated OD 2. There is also a solo boost button on the footswitch, which has it's own volume knob on the amp. So you can make your solos as loud or quiet as you want. In addition it has an FX loop and half power mode to knock it down to 50 watts. The master volume is really good on this amp, it can sound great at levels that won't get the cops called to your door.

If you want one I suggest calling up one of the Splawn dealers. Most of them have amps on order and it will only take a few weeks to get your built. If you go directly through Scott the wait is up to almost 2 months now. Scott can only build 15 amps a month, and he's pretty booked. You can also pick the color, knobs and overall style of the amp at no additional cost. I choose the classic Marshall JCM 800 look.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

It's two channels. They just updated the clean channel and gave it it's own preamp tube. Now the cleans are crisp with as much headroom as you'll ever need. The OD channel has three modes or 'gears'... gear 1 is hot rodded plexi, very open sounding and good for AC/DC, Zeppelin to early Van Halen. Gear 2 is a hot rodded JCM800 2203 tone, good for classic G N R or other 80's hard rock. Gear three is super hot rodded 2203 tone, that gear has too much gain for my normal needs though it's fun to play chuggah-chuggah type riffs on. Also each OD channel has an two modes, OD 1 and a more saturated OD 2. There is also a solo boost button on the footswitch, which has it's own volume knob on the amp. So you can make your solos as loud or quiet as you want. In addition it has an FX loop and half power mode to knock it down to 50 watts. The master volume is really good on this amp, it can sound great at levels that won't get the cops called to your door.

If you want one I suggest calling up one of the Splawn dealers. Most of them have amps on order and it will only take a few weeks to get your built. If you go directly through Scott the wait is up to almost 2 months now. Scott can only build 15 amps a month, and he's pretty booked. You can also pick the color, knobs and overall style of the amp at no additional cost. I choose the classic Marshall JCM 800 look.

thanks bro. I won't be doin to much right now, I'm basically broke, but that's who I'll be gettin in touch with. I think the 800 look is the coolest to.

Offline Darkburst

When you have the cash also check out Ebay or the Splawn forum. You can save a couple hundred bucks that way, though you won't be able to pick out how it looks.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
When you have the cash also check out Ebay or the Splawn forum. You can save a couple hundred bucks that way, though you won't be able to pick out how it looks.

yeah but isn't the 800 style fairly standard/common?

Offline Darkburst

Most look more like a Marshall Plexi. Since most people order them directly through Scott they can look pretty different though.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Yeah, It sounds absolutley amazing though.