Author Topic: Led Zeppelin  (Read 62556 times)

Offline Mr Self Destruct

• Gunslinger
There will NEVER be a band to touch the majesty of Led Zep.
I agree!

And I think live they were *better* so to speak because there was so much improv, the song was never the same, which I love about them.

'How The West Was Won' is hands down the best live album ever.

But I think I am an odd Led Zep fan; 'Stairway To Heaven' would struggle to make my Top 25 Led Zep songs.

Maybe I subconsciously don't like the song as much as I should in the same way I despise 'Sweet Child O'Mine' because that is the only song non-GN'R fans know. :(

Offline Midnight

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Rock & Roll!
I'm one of the few you'll find who doesn't care much for Zeppelin, but then I have never owned an album.   I am going to buy their IV album because up until this point in time I have only heard a handful of songs, all of which I thought were kinda shit, but I need to hear that album regardless.   They are idolized by so many, so highly regarded, I need to fuckin' hear this shit 'cause if I am missing out on some kick ass music I am gonna cry!   The songs I did hear to me sounded dated, may have caused a stir and been innovative back in the day, but I just didn't feel it.   ...buy hey, if I can give Nirvana a fair shot and buy an album it's the least I can do for Zeppelin.   Nirvana sucked by the way, not my thing at all.   Now it's Zeppelin's turn, it never hurts to try and widen your musical taste.   So is IV the best place to start?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 04:07:56 PM by Midnight »

Offline WomanoftheWorld

• Slash Momma
  • Sniper Assassin
  • Slashaholics "untie!"
    • All Things Considered...Slash!
Well all you can do is give it a fair chance Midnight.  If you still don't like them, at least you can say you did listen and it wasn't for you, so that's fair enough!  Buy anything - I think it's all fantastic!  Led Zep II is one I play a lot - Living Loving Maid,  Whole Lotta Love, Moby Dick - great stuff. 

My older brother and my Uncles got me into Led Zep, and Black Dog was the first song of theirs I ever heard.  Love at first listen for me!

Offline Kona

• Gunslinger
    • naked pictures
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Whole Lotta Love
Kashmir
Heartbreaker

are my absolute favourite songs of them.

Offline WomanoftheWorld

• Slash Momma
  • Sniper Assassin
  • Slashaholics "untie!"
Kashmir!!  8)  Everytime someone mentions a new set of songs they do, I find another big favorite of mine in the list!!

Offline Kona

• Gunslinger
    • naked pictures
most of my friends that aren't rockfans always say "oh isn't this that Puff Daddy song?" when they hear Kashmir.  :roll:

Offline Bella

• Sniper Assassin
  • ~ sluff ~
most of my friends that aren't rockfans always say "oh isn't this that Puff Daddy song?" when they hear Kashmir.  :roll:
For his fine contributions of "yeah..." and "Uh-huh"?  :lol: You ever see that Conan episode?  Conan does "In the year 2000" and he goes "Puff Daddy will sing his own songs" and he does a rendition, and since there's no sample music, he's just going "Yeah" and "uh-huh" it was hilarious.  I realize he actually rapped more than that on Kashmir, and I shouldn't be saying anything myself cuz when Puffy and Jimmy were on SNL performing it, when I was in JHS, I didn't really know who Jimmy Page was.

Offline Kona

• Gunslinger
    • naked pictures
haha :lol:

I wonder why Jimmy Page did it

Offline Spikeout

• Target Practice
  • Sultan of Swing
    • http://www.defleppard.com
Have to admit I am another one who doesn't really see what the fuss is about from the few songs I have heard and hell like Midnight I gave Nirvana a chance and it turned out so bad its not funny so I will definately give Led Zep a chance.   

Offline BadObsession

• Target Practice
Led Zeppelin is awesome. Each member was incredibely talented. Jimmy Page is my favourite guitarist and Robert Plant my favourite singer. I own 3 of their albums at the moment but I only got into them recently. It's hard to pick a favourite , there are so many great songs they've written.  :D

Offline Guns n' Revolvers

• Straight Shooter
  • Funk me I'm famous!
Great thread, ive wanted to post one myself for some time now.

Ive always loved Led Zeppelin, but its turned into quite an obession recently. In a period of a month i bought there entire catalogue, their DVD and a huge lamenated poster ive hung behind my door. Im in the middle of reading Stairway to heaven, a biography their tour manage wrote. i recommend this book to any who is even a slight fan, it definetly one of the best rock books ive ever read (and ive read heaps).

Led Zeppelin = Rock Gods

why:
- they boasted of one of the (if not the) greatest line-up in the history of rock, where every single member is regarded as one of the finest in their feild.
- never released singles
- hardly ever did interviews
- they dont allow their music to be featured in commercials or movies (with only school of rock as an exception, but come on that was a great scene).
- considering the lack of promotion as stated above, they have sold close to 250 million albums worldwide a feat only bettered by the beatles and elvis (keep in mind that 85% of the beatles and elvis' sales were from singles).
- Simply the artist of seventies, outselling their nearest competitors by tens of millions of albums.
- influenced every rock band ever since
- they dont capitalise on their past greatness by releasing a billion greatest hits, limited addition stuff, dvds, books etc
- they have come to terms with the fact that they can never be as good as they once were hence the absence of a reformation and tour.
- concerning the last two points: think rolling stones, kiss, the eagles etc.
- They basically havent sold out: their greatness lives through the music!

Lets just pretend that puff daddy never existed shall we.

Offline WomanoftheWorld

• Slash Momma
  • Sniper Assassin
  • Slashaholics "untie!"
I haven't read a good rock bio in years.  I think a Led Zep one would be a good one to pick up!   :D

Offline Bella

• Sniper Assassin
  • ~ sluff ~
I haven't read a good rock bio in years.  I think a Led Zep one would be a good one to pick up!   :D
I don't know about Hammer of the Gods, but Stairway to Heaven made me really happy because beyond all their antics the author still maintained they were crazy about their music.  Unlike The Dirt  :lol: which was fun to read nevertheless..

Offline shirleythetatoo

• Sniper Assassin
I liked Hammer of the Gods it seemed quite true and real to me, but as I mentioned it is unauthorised so what is true and not is anyone's guess - I found it quite believable and the writer had a great knowledge of their music and recordings, apparently Plant thought it was ok, but Page hated it. Would like to read the Stairway to Heaven bio as at least that is written by someone actually involved in their circle ...

Offline rockcandy

• Straight Shooter
i have the hammer of the gods and thought it was pretty okay, i was sort of expecting a bit more dirt. i heard the book, stairway to heaven was full of bullshit so i didnt buy it.

Anyways, i think i first got into led zeppelin when i found the greatest hits cd in my dad's cd collection, but i couldn't listen to the cd because the cd was missing :lol: so i downloaded a couple of songs from them because i'd figured they must be a really great band otherwise my dad wouldn't by the album---he doesn't really like rock music by the way. And the rest was well.. i dunno, i guess i was really hooked to their music..blah, im gonna stop here before i start droning. i dont make much sense do i? okay im rambling...

fav. songs

babe im gonna leave you
whole lotta love
immigrant song
no quarter
dazed and confused
sugar mamma
black dog
rock and roll
and many more..

Offline Call Me "T"

• Gunslinger
    • http://www.myspace.com/tracecm
I'll take some LED FOR MY HEAD!

Seriously, there are way too many songs to list that are my favs.  I'll never grow tired of them EVER!
(I'll never will forget seeing a lazer light show with the lazer pulsating to the Zepplin music YEARS ago, I totally recommend it!)

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
My older brother and my Uncles got me into Led Zep, and Black Dog was the first song of theirs I ever heard.  Love at first listen for me!

same here.. the first song i heard was black dog, and i loved it. listened to it like 100 times...

Offline Axloholic

• Unloaded
This is definitely one of my all time favorite bands. Jimmy Page is too awesome to be true. And for Bonham, I didn't really see any talent in him at first, but the drum solo in The Song Remains The Same made me change thoughts. What a movie! I almost got in trance when Page played the guitar with a violin whatever-it-is-called!

Offline weilandstheman

• Target Practice
I love Led Zeppelin! I grew up listening to them because my mom and dad love them. I remember my dad trying to teach me to play Stairway To Heaven when I was younger. Good Times  :mrgreen: Now I'm learning a lot of their songs on guitar and it's lots of fun. My favorite song right now is probably When The Levee Breaks, I just can't get over the awesomeness of that song. hehe

Offline jimmyjam

• Target Practice
"LED ZEPPELIN THE WORLD'S GREATEST BAND."    :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Guns n' Revolvers

• Straight Shooter
  • Funk me I'm famous!
ok doing my bit to keep the thread alive. ive been watching their DVD for a week straight now and i have to say its the best music DVD ive ever seen. they really gave it their all in concerts and the DVD perfectly captures it (how many bands do you know that put on 3+ hours shows). Plus that Bonzo drum solo brings me close to tears everytime i watch it.

Offline rockcandy

• Straight Shooter
i have yet to buy the led zep dvd, apparently im broke at the moment i spent all of my money on an mp3 :(

Offline smiles

• Straight Shooter
  • Drummers Do It Better!
    • myspace
Woohooo i got the dvd. I'm just about to go and watch it it!!!! :D :D :D

Offline Jarno

• Sniper Assassin
Best music dvd ever!! i've been watching it a lot lately.