Author Topic: Led Zeppelin  (Read 67762 times)

Offline Mrs. Tophat

• Gunslinger
  • suicide blonde
he he go Mr. Plant indeed  :lol:

I was soooo happy when he stared playing the Zep stuff especially 'going to california' as its one of my all-time favourite songs

I was bound to be a Led Zep fan. My dad worships them and told me how he played them in the car to me when he was taking me back from the hopital after I was born

so there you go, the first ever song I heard was Tea for One by Zep when I was only a few days old  :D

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
yeah it's great that he plays some LedZep songs as well :) I really wanna see him now... Hope I'll get the chance in near future

Cool, there you go! None of my parents like LedZep.. at least not much. I can't remember exactly when I first heard of them, but I think it was the same time as I started to like GNR.. And thats a while ago. My brother showed me a Black Dog video, and the first thing I noticed was Plants moves lol, and I really liked the song. Since then, I've been a fan and I love them. My favourite band after GNR.

Do you know anything about Plant and Page's relationship these days? Are they good friends? they haven't been fighting have they? I would love to see them playing together!

Offline Mrs. Tophat

• Gunslinger
  • suicide blonde
My favourite band after GNR.

Exactly the same  :D Gnr and Led Zep  :headbanger:

As for Page and Plant Im not sure  :? I havent heard from them in a while
that would be a dream come true to see them perform together as their such a legendry partnership
If they ever announce a performance together im there front row again lol  :D

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
that's good :wink:

yeah, me too! That would be amazing! 8) Lets hope it'll happen someday

Offline Will

• Sniper Assassin
that would be cool, one of my favorite bands, too.

Offline Will

• Sniper Assassin
I love this song, and wanted to know

a. if anyone else was as crazy about it as i am
b. what the story was behind it

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
It is an absolutley amazing song. One of Zeppelin's best. That entire album is vastly underrated

Offline Will

• Sniper Assassin
yeah. nobody listens to that song unless someone shows it to them. kind of a word o mouth thing. the drumming, the solo, the lyrics. everything is great. love plants voice in that song, too.

dyou know the story of it. i've heard some say it's lord of the rings inspired, others say it was the drugs....

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
I don't know the story, but yeah it's an amazing song. I love almost everything by them though. The guitar solo is awesome.

Offline Will

• Sniper Assassin
bonhams drumming kicks ass too, over the solo. my friends and i always end up headbanging and getting hyped over that song. it's cool how some songs have effects on the listener.. like for me, that song totally wakes me up and electricfies me.
 also, there aren't that many 10 minute songs, anymore. it's nice to see a band get into a song and keep it going like that.

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
^I know, sometimes it's "boring" to listen to long songs, but when it comes to Led Zeppelin can I listen to the song forever, and their long songs are great all the way!

Offline smasher

• Gunslinger
  • Love is death
Kick the bucket, Moby dick drum solo rocks!

Offline NiceBoy

• Pea Gun Newbie
    • Fast Remedy
Robert Plant is one of the best frontman ever! He have amazing voice and lots of carisma.

Offline smasher

• Gunslinger
  • Love is death
Yeah, but I'd still kill for a plectrum from Jimmy Page.

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
Yeah, but I'd still kill for a plectrum from Jimmy Page.

hell yeah me too

Offline Mrs. Tophat

• Gunslinger
  • suicide blonde
^^ who wouldnt??

i went to see a tribute band for them last night and they were amazing. i was hoping plant would turn up cos he plays with them sometimes cos its his home town.

the first thing i did when i woke up this morning was put on my 'song remains the same' dvd. id give anything to go back in time and watch them in concert  :(

Offline seetal

• Sniper Assassin
  • Step Outside But Not To Brawl
^^
yeah, for some reason everytime i see the vid for whole lotta love i feel like CRYING cause i wasnt there :lol:
its really annoying

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
yeah.. i can't even start thinking of it, so tragic is it that i haven't seen them

Offline Iceberg Slim

• Gunslinger
  • The Earth is full-Go home!
Am I the only one that thinks the song Stairway to Heaven is over-rated as the "Greatest Rock song of all time" ?  I mean it takes like 6 minutes to get going, I've tried listening to it a lot of times and it has never grown on me. Maybe the "Greatest Rock song of all time" should be something more in your face, like "Welcome to the Jungle", a song that even if someone isn't really into Rock will like.

Offline Superman with VR

• Sniper Assassin
    • My solo music
Am I the only one that thinks the song Stairway to Heaven is over-rated as the "Greatest Rock song of all time" ?  I mean it takes like 6 minutes to get going, I've tried listening to it a lot of times and it has never grown on me. Maybe the "Greatest Rock song of all time" should be something more in your face, like "Welcome to the Jungle", a song that even if someone isn't really into Rock will like.

"Stairway to Heaven" is the most played song on American FM radio. That's saying a lot considering it wasn't even released as a single.

As far as "getting going" is concerned, that's not what makes a song good. "Stairway" is a brilliant composition because it builds and builds and builds and there's not a bad section about it. It's technically challenging (not a song for beginners), it's lyrically brilliant, it's catchy as all hell, it has one of the best guitar solos of all time (which was improvised - major props to Jimmy Page), there are NO songs that sound like it, and it's stood the test of time beautifully.

Offline seetal

• Sniper Assassin
  • Step Outside But Not To Brawl
that what i was trying to say when i said i'd kill you for hating it :lol:

Offline Iceberg Slim

• Gunslinger
  • The Earth is full-Go home!

"Stairway to Heaven" is the most played song on American FM radio. That's saying a lot considering it wasn't even released as a single.

As far as "getting going" is concerned, that's not what makes a song good. "Stairway" is a brilliant composition because it builds and builds and builds and there's not a bad section about it. It's technically challenging (not a song for beginners), it's lyrically brilliant, it's catchy as all hell, it has one of the best guitar solos of all time (which was improvised - major props to Jimmy Page), there are NO songs that sound like it, and it's stood the test of time beautifully.

I've listened to the song for more than 2 years, it definitely isn't catchy. Not to my ears anyway :lol:. I think everyone has their definition for what makes a song good, "getting going" is one aspect that makes me judge a song. I think its a good song maybe in the best 200 rock songs but not the best ever. I don't think being technically challenging makes it great but maybe it does to some people. I also think the song is hard to get into if you're not particularly into rock music. But I don't know maybe it's just me being weird  :P

Offline Superman with VR

• Sniper Assassin
    • My solo music

I've listened to the song for more than 2 years, it definitely isn't catchy. Not to my ears anyway :lol:. I think everyone has their definition for what makes a song good, "getting going" is one aspect that makes me judge a song. I think its a good song maybe in the best 200 rock songs but not the best ever. I don't think being technically challenging makes it great but maybe it does to some people. I also think the song is hard to get into if you're not particularly into rock music. But I don't know maybe it's just me being weird  :P

Technically challenging isn't a requirement for a song to be good, but it's impressive if it's there. I'm just thinking as if this were a competition and you give points for each thing. I'd give more points to the composition that is catchy AND musically interesting than to a song that was just two chords and catchy.

As for the hard to get into side.. I think I'd disagree. It's one of those songs that most people (I realize this didn't work with you) are won over by if they listen to it in its entirity. My band played this song at a talent show for an auditorium filled with high school kids from the city that don't listen to anything that doesn't have an MC rapping over it and they ate the song up. I'd probably say that any one part of the song is not the best thing ever written, but put together it's amazing.

Offline moreblack

• Target Practice
Not everyone's gonna dig Stairway (Slayer/Cannibal Corpse fans for example). But that doesn't make it any less of an insanely kick ass song.
There's a reason so many people love it and it's not because the press said so. I think everyone that loves it has their own personal love affair with that song. It's just one of those pieces of music that you never forget.

AND it's only the tip of the iceberg of the Led Zeppelin catalogue, which holds many other treasures.