Author Topic: is a tube worth it.  (Read 5775 times)

Offline EVH_slash

• Target Practice
Well have you tried getting them used? a used amp can be just as good as a brand new one and far less expensive.
Here in Norway the new jcm 800's are really expensive, but if you look around you can find mint condition heads at a fraction of the price.

there's a tip to you who's thinkin about getting a tube amp, look for used ones! saves you much money and they sound just as good.

Well, the good models with the vertical inputs go for over 1K used. If they're in good shape then they can be upwards of $1,500. For the me the Splawn was the best deal since it can sound like a plexi, JCM 800 or hot rodded JCM 800 and it now has a decent clean channel. And it cost $1750 new, my choice of tolex color, knob type and front panel color. It also has a half power switch, FX loop and solo boost with it's own volume control. Overall I'm not a huge fan of the JCM 2000 series (the DSL 100 sounds pretty good, the TSL sounded a little thin to me), so I had to look elsewhere for Marshall tone with the features I wanted.

In that case buying a brand new one seems the best thing to do...

Funny that you think the tsl sounds to thin, i tried many amps before settling with the tsl and the dsl was the one i though sounded the worst, thin tone and overall not to good...

The Splawn amps look really good i must say, the sound clips on the website sounded great! really diggin the tolex colors too..

Offline Darkburst

I didn't think the TSL 100 watter was bad, but I felt the DSL 100 had a bit more body. They were both plugged into a straight Marshall 4x12 with Celestion Vintage 30's. Maybe the TSL would sound better with different speakers. Overall tone is so subjective and if you're a bad-ass player you could make a solid state Gorilla amp sound good! My skills aren't 100% there yet so I need all the help I can get!

:lol:

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
I don't know man. I like the DSL 50 alot. Play it into a nice Marshall you get a pretty good tone. But it's like you said DarkBurst, you just don't get a really good tone from Marshall for any decent price. I also say pickups make a huge difference. When I put Seymour Duncans in my Epiphone Les Paul it made a 1000% improvement into my tone. Even though I've got one of the lower end Marshalls. (AVT 150H)