Author Topic: is a tube worth it.  (Read 5597 times)

Offline stone_roses

• Gunslinger
I was wondering if a tube amp was worth it. I have a very nice amp, but was considering getting a tube amp.. Is a tube affect pedal just as good or is a tube amp worth the extra bux??

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
simply, yes. im guessing you want a slash type tone? maybe not i dont know what you play. but most (maybe all ) professional musicians use them obviously because they are alot better. the only person i think who uses/used solid state amps was dimebag. but the answer is yes, it is definatley worth the extra money.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
tube simulator pedals, and amps that do the same, do not sound like a tube amp. yes, it is totally worth it for a tube

Offline capitalvolume

• Pea Gun Newbie
yes def' worth every penny. Tubes give you the natural crush , everybody uses them. Cept' dimebag as pointed out early but he still used high wattage solid states. Tube amps are amaizng and their is nothing like the warm tone!!

Offline Darkburst

Yes. I've tried different types of amps, regular solid state, digital modeling and analog modeling. None sound and respond the way any decent tube amp does. I've also found for hard rock nothing delivers the goods like a 100w halfstack. Sure it has way more volume than you'll ever need, but it has more punch and depth even at reasonable volumes than lower wattage amps.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 06:18:35 PM by Darkburst »

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
yes def' worth every penny. Tubes give you the natural crush , everybody uses them. Cept' dimebag as pointed out early but he still used high wattage solid states. Tube amps are amaizng and their is nothing like the warm tone!!

not long before Dime died he switched to KranK amps, which are tube

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie

yup. him and krank were designing the krankenstien which is very expensive. I guess they never finished it because he died :cry:

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

yup. him and krank were designing the krankenstien which is very expensive. I guess they never finished it because he died :cry:

they did finish it. Guitar World also did a review of it a couple of monthes ago

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
i saw the guitar world review on tv and i thought i heard the guy say that they were in the process of finishing it.i know its finished in the sense that its an amp and all that but maybe he meant that there were somethings unfinished. or im just stupid:lol:

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
who knows. The Guitar World issue i got with the dvd review it was done, and Paul Riario was playing the shit out of it. It sounded awesome too

Offline Darkburst

Krank amps sound like shit. Maybe they're cool if you're into having gobs of gain cover up your playing.

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
Krank amps sound like shit. Maybe they're cool if you're into having gobs of gain cover up your playing.

well not 'shit', exactly..but they are very high gain amps. i've never played one, so i can't give an educated review but from what i understand it is VERY high gain. if you're looking for that kind of tone, i really don't see why you would need a tube amplifier.

on the other hand, if you're playing anything from jazz to blues to rock to heavy metal (think 80's heavy metal) you would be much better off with a tube amp..particularly anything with EL34 tubes.

so long story short, if you play anything like the styles i mentioned above, it wouldn't hurt to buy a nice tube amp. i know Laney makes a 1x12 tube amp with EL84's that sounds pretty nice. but if you're  playing anything that ends in "core" you should be fine with a solidstate.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

so explain to us why you would say that. I've never played one, I don't like that much gain, When the dude from GW reviewed it he sounded pretty good playing a Les Paul into one.

Offline Darkburst

The Krank I played didn't have the articulation and sensitivity that I like in an amp. Maybe 'sound like shit' was a little harsh, but it's not what I'd consider 'good sounding'. GW (or any other magazine) will never say anything bad about a product from a company that advertises in their magazine.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
The Krank I played didn't have the articulation and sensitivity that I like in an amp. Maybe 'sound like shit' was a little harsh, but it's not what I'd consider 'good sounding'. GW (or any other magazine) will never say anything bad about a product from a company that advertises in their magazine.

yeah thats true, but he was actually playing it. Probably had the gain way down. I do agree with you though. I prefere the sound you can get out of some marshalls, and Orange amps

Offline Darkburst

yeah thats true, but he was actually playing it. Probably had the gain way down. I do agree with you though. I prefere the sound you can get out of some marshalls, and Orange amps

My next amp, which should get to me in the next week and a half is a Splawn Quickrod. The one I played that won me over sounded better than anything Marshall has made since the early 80's. I had spent a lot of time playing JCM 800's from the 80's and the DSL and TSL line looking for the ultimate Marshall tone. This beast sounded better and had more versatility than anything else I've tried that was voiced like a Marshall. The one I'm getting has an improved clean channel too. You can check out the amps here:

http://splawnguitars.com/amps_products.htm

I'll be posting some clips once she arrives.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I personally like Marshall, because I've never had any problems with them, they definatly are not the best sounding amps like they used to be, but it doesn't bother me too much. I can't afford an Orange amp, which I think sound the best of any amps.

Offline Darkburst

I personally like Marshall, because I've never had any problems with them, they definatly are not the best sounding amps like they used to be, but it doesn't bother me too much. I can't afford an Orange amp, which I think sound the best of any amps.

Orange makes some nice amps, so does Bogner. I liked a lot of Marshall amps, but the problem is the good ones aren't made any more, are getting really expensive and lack versatility. I went with the Splawn because it delivered a variety of Marshall tones, had a lot additional features and is constructed better than the JCM 2000 series. Most of the older Marshalls have no clean channel or the clean channel they have totally sucks. When I had my Jubilee it couldn't switch between a good clean and good crunch tone since they shared the same EQ. Now I know why Slash has to have a separate head just for clean tones. I don't have roadies to lug my gear around, so I wanted a head that had the whole package. Trust me, if Marshall currently made a model that sounded as good or better than the Splawn I'd buy it.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin

Orange makes some nice amps, so does Bogner. I liked a lot of Marshall amps, but the problem is the good ones aren't made any more, are getting really expensive and lack versatility. I went with the Splawn because it delivered a variety of Marshall tones, had a lot additional features and is constructed better than the JCM 2000 series. Most of the older Marshalls have no clean channel or the clean channel they have totally sucks. When I had my Jubilee it couldn't switch between a good clean and good crunch tone since they shared the same EQ. Now I know why Slash has to have a separate head just for clean tones. I don't have roadies to lug my gear around, so I wanted a head that had the whole package. Trust me, if Marshall currently made a model that sounded as good or better than the Splawn I'd buy it.

yeah, thats really dumb. I have a Marshall AVT150 head and cab, they really don't sound that good, but there are 2 different EQs, one for clean, one for dirty. The tone isn't very good, but it's just to hold me over till I can afford an Orange, or something like that

Offline capitalvolume

• Pea Gun Newbie
Clean channel doesnt really matter to me. Just turn your volume down , or turn the "rhythm" one down and then when you go into distortion switch to "lead" pickup.... I've got my eye's set on the JCM 800 , it just sounds perfect with any guitar! But see'ing as I'm broke.... :(

Offline EVH_slash

• Target Practice
I have had my marshall jcm 2000 tsl 100 for 2 years now and I love it! It's got great sound and the independent channels are a big plus and the clean is really nice(for a marshall)....
the other guitarist in my band has a slash sig marshall and he also wants a Tsl since he loves the way it sounds...

A good tube amp is a good investment if you are serious about your playing or just seek a great sound...

Offline Darkburst

Clean channel doesnt really matter to me. Just turn your volume down , or turn the "rhythm" one down and then when you go into distortion switch to "lead" pickup.... I've got my eye's set on the JCM 800 , it just sounds perfect with any guitar! But see'ing as I'm broke.... :(

My problem with JCM 800's is they're too expesive for what they are, especially the reissue. $2000 for a one channel amp... I don't think so! The reissue should cost $850 tops.

Offline EVH_slash

• Target Practice

My problem with JCM 800's is they're too expesive for what they are, especially the reissue. $2000 for a one channel amp... I don't think so! The reissue should cost $850 tops.

Well have you tried getting them used? a used amp can be just as good as a brand new one and far less expensive.
Here in Norway the new  jcm 800's are really expensive, but if you look around you can find mint condition heads at a fraction of the price.

there's a tip to you who's thinkin about getting a tube amp, look for used ones! saves you much money and they sound just as good.

Offline Darkburst

Well have you tried getting them used? a used amp can be just as good as a brand new one and far less expensive.
Here in Norway the new  jcm 800's are really expensive, but if you look around you can find mint condition heads at a fraction of the price.

there's a tip to you who's thinkin about getting a tube amp, look for used ones! saves you much money and they sound just as good.

Well, the good models with the vertical inputs go for over 1K used. If they're in good shape then they can be upwards of $1,500. For the me the Splawn was the best deal since it can sound like a plexi, JCM 800 or hot rodded JCM 800 and it now has a decent clean channel. And it cost $1750 new, my choice of tolex color, knob type and front panel color. It also has a half power switch, FX loop and solo boost with it's own volume control. Overall I'm not a huge fan of the JCM 2000 series (the DSL 100 sounds pretty good, the TSL sounded a  little thin to me), so I had to look elsewhere for Marshall tone with the features I wanted.