Author Topic: I have a new guitar! What now?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline MzMaihem

• Target Practice
    • Rock Solid Band Fiction
It's a black Fender steel string acoustic. My right hand is much stronger and more nimble than my left from a physical disability. Any advice? I know I'll suck for awhile, but I'm patient. I also have a slide.

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
If your left hand isn't quite as dexterous you may have to play the guitar left handed (confusingly, this involves playing on the fret with your right hand.) Its something wierd about how your hands co-ordinate, you'd think the hand you write with would be better off on the fret board... anyway, it entirely depends on how comfortable it is for you.

If you do play left-handed, you'll need to swap the strings around. (Or you can do it upside down, its a trick that confuses the hell out of people.)

Next just learn some basic chords. A decent book or someone to show you is more or less essential for the first few steps.

Offline MzMaihem

• Target Practice
I was thinking about restringing for lefty play, but wanted to check. I have 2 very patient friends willing to teach, thanks for your kind reply. I have forever to learn and am in no hurry.  :)

Offline MzMaihem

• Target Practice
 :lol: Armondikov, you missed the fact that the tuning was hard once you do the restring, my friend is being extremely patient here. Thanks all the same. ;)

Offline BethRoze

• Straight Shooter
:lol: Armondikov, you missed the fact that the tuning was hard once you do the restring, my friend is being extremely patient here. Thanks all the same. ;)
Yeah, I can't stand it when my brother messes up the tuning on his acoustic.  I guess you'll get used to it after a while.  Good luck!!!

P.s.  You never accepted my friend request thing on yahoo.