Author Topic: Slash Tone  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
I know Slash uses his own Signature heads and some JCM 800s, but both of those cost upwards of four thousand dollars. I'm pretty good with amps, but I'm not sure about this one, because I haven't had the chance to play it yet. The guitar store I go to has  JCM 900, as far as I know they are pretty close to the JCM 800, they're just sort of a retro fitted 800. Will I be able to get pretty close to a Slash sound out of this?

Offline Darkburst

You can get a 100w Marshall JCM 800 2203 on Ebay for around $1200 or less depending on if it has the earlier horizontal or later vertical inputs. If you like Slash's tone on the 1988 Live at the Ritz show, then this is the amp you want. Keep in mind that these amps don't sound very full unless fairly cranked. I used to own a Marshall 2555 which is what the Slash sig amp is a reissue of. It's a decent sounding amp, but can really only do one good sound at a time. That's why Slash uses one set to cleans and one set for crunch live and switches between them.

Personally I hate every JCM 900 I've tried. They're very flat and fake sounding to me... they lack the depth and sheer balls of the early JCM 800's. I don't know how Dave Navarro gets his tone out of them!

I saw a G N R cover band in NYC (Mr. Brownstone) and the 'Slash' guy got decent tone from his JCM 2000 DSL 100w. I'm personally not a huge fan of that amp, but they are plentiful in the used market and fairly cheap.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
You can get a 100w Marshall JCM 800 2203 on Ebay for around $1200 or less depending on if it has the earlier horizontal or later vertical inputs. If you like Slash's tone on the 1988 Live at the Ritz show, then this is the amp you want. Keep in mind that these amps don't sound very full unless fairly cranked. I used to own a Marshall 2555 which is what the Slash sig amp is a reissue of. It's a decent sounding amp, but can really only do one good sound at a time. That's why Slash uses one set to cleans and one set for crunch live and switches between them.

Personally I hate every JCM 900 I've tried. They're very flat and fake sounding to me... they lack the depth and sheer balls of the early JCM 800's. I don't know how Dave Navarro gets his tone out of them!

I saw a G N R cover band in NYC (Mr. Brownstone) and the 'Slash' guy got decent tone from his JCM 2000 DSL 100w. I'm personally not a huge fan of that amp, but they are plentiful in the used market and fairly cheap.

I hate using eBay. I'm a paranoid prick when it comes to my guitars and amps. I'll check out the DSL and the 900. With Marshall it's kinda hit and miss. I've played some Marshall amps that sound amazing, and then other amps of the same model sound like shit so I guess it'll just be trial and error.

Offline Darkburst

Marshall's can be fairly inconsistent. I know Ebay can be a pain in the ass, but if you buy from someone with a 100% feedback and a decent amount of transactions then you're pretty safe... unless UPS or FedEx trashes it in transit!

:shock:

Good luck in your search!

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
What about musicians friend? I know they have JCM 800's up there. I even found a Slash signature. Are they any good?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Check that, I emailed them about the Slash sig and they took it off the site.

Offline Darkburst

What about musicians friend? I know they have JCM 800's up there. I even found a Slash signature. Are they any good?

Those are JCM 800 2203 reissues. They sound pretty good, but they actually cost MORE than a real one from the 80's.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
alright. as far as I know, Dave Navarro switched to the Moud Four

Offline Darkburst

alright. as far as I know, Dave Navarro switched to the Moud Four

I IM'd Dave last month before he went on tour with the Panic Channel, he said that he still uses the JCM 900 as his main amp. The Mode Four was just for the clean tones on a few songs. I'm not sure why, the Mode Four is THE worst Marshall I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Cool. Yeah I've heard the Moud Four sucks ass

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie

Listen to that imformation. But, if I were you, I wouldnt get a 100 watt tube amp just because what he said is true, the more cranked, the better it sounds. so you would probably be better off going 50 watt. unless you get something like a hotplate, but thats a different story.

Offline Darkburst

Listen to that imformation. But, if I were you, I wouldnt get a 100 watt tube amp just because what he said is true, the more cranked, the better it sounds. so you would probably be better off going 50 watt. unless you get something like a hotplate, but thats a different story.

A 50w tube amp will only be a few db lower in volume maxed out compared to a 100w. So keep in mind that 50w is still ear blistering loud and NOT half the volume of a 100w. In fact the 20w Marshall 2061X I tried out was loud enough to play with almost any drummer... go to the local guitar store and try out tube amps of different wattage. You'll find that even 5w is as loud as a guy wailing on the trumpet. That being said I prefer 100w amps because the larger transformers provide a thicker tone. Most Master Volume amps can deliver good tone at rehearsal volume, just not at quiet home practice volume.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
I agree. I've had 100 watt and 150 watt amps, and there isn't much difference in the sound, because they can both go super loud. I have played the DSL before and really liked it. Tomorrow is judgement day so...

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Alright, So I've decided on the JCM 200 DSL 50
The only problem is deciding which cab. one has vintage 30's, the other has Greenbacks. I'm thinkin I'm gonna go with the Vintage 30's, but greenbacks have better cleans don't they?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:34:57 AM by Captain Tophat »

Offline Darkburst

Alright, So I've decided on the JCM 200 DSL 50
The only problem is deciding which cab. one has vintage 30's, the other has Greenbacks. I'm thinkin I'm gonna go with the Vintage 30's, but greenbacks have better cleans don't they?

Greenbacks are lower wattage speakers, so they break up earlier than Vintage 30s. What does that mean? Crunchy and distorted tones will sound decent at lower volumes... but cleans will sound a little dirty at higher volumes. V30's are more efficient and will not have the speaker break up of the Greenbacks. Both speakers sound great, it just depends on your situation, playing style and personal prefs.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
yeah, I've decided to go with the Vintage 30s